Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Dramart

Learned
ME 1 is worthy of a remaster. The other two are so retarded that to make them good games they have to wipe them from the collective memory of all gamers and remake them from scratch.
Mass Effect is dead. I also think ME1 is good but none of them deserves a remake. What can they add besides better graphics? And if they make changes in the story they will be bad, considering how poor the story of ME andromeda was.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
ME 1 is worthy of a remaster.

A remaster would be just taking the vanilla version, upping the resolution and slapping METUIM/ALOT on it and calling it a day.

They HAVE to fix the issues with the original, mainly the copy pasted level design of the side quests, the level design of the uncharted worlds and the MAKO physics. Most of the side quests were so barren that they were resolved thorugh text.

Myobi

Liturgist
A remaster would be just taking the vanilla version, upping the resolution and slapping METUIM/ALOT on it and calling it a day.

They HAVE to fix the issues with the original, mainly the copy pasted level design of the side quests, the level design of the uncharted worlds and the MAKO physics. Most of the side quests were so barren that they were resolved thorugh text.

... don't forget the elevators >.<

donkeymong

Scholar
I only need a remaster of the first game. The rest are like bad nightmares\hallucinations Shepard had after being hit by the debris at the end of that game.

Prime Junta

I only need a remaster of the first game. The rest are like bad nightmares\hallucinations Shepard had after being hit by the debris at the end of that game.

The first ME is the worst of the bunch. They’re all kind of shit but the other two are at least entertaining in places. The first one is jank glued together with derp.

Ebonsword

Arcane
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/rumor-mass-effect-trilogy-remaster-due-out-by-march-31-2021

Rumor: Mass Effect Trilogy remaster due out by March 31, 2021

In its fiscal year Q4 2020 results published on May 5, Electronic Arts said it has 14 titles planned for release in fiscal year 2021, which ends on March 31, 2021. One of those titles, which Electronic Arts labeled “additional EA HD title,” is a Mass Effect Trilogy remaster, according to VentureBeat‘s Jeff Grubb.

This is interesting because, in the past, EA has said that they won't do remakes.

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-EA-Isn-t-Making-HD-Remakes-92687.html

But I guess they feel that they've damaged the Mass Effect brand so badly the only way to get more money out of it is to re-release the original games.

I'm sure that the timing of this is to coincide with the release of the new Xbox and Playstation consoles. If there's a PC release, I would expect the interface to be more consolized, not less.

donkeymong

Scholar

Thing is, most planet are barren lifeless rocks like our solar system, and shady organizations, pirat swould use cheap prefab buildings that look the same and dont stick out . Unlike the Normandy with a cerberus logo arriving in Citadel
and elsewere of course, which is like wearing a Hitler t-shirt in Israel.:roll: And at least those sidequests had dialogue and choices,unlike in 2, where Shepard yet again wipes out mercs or solves dumb puzzles, and thats it, pointless fillers with no feedback like from
Hackett or the Shadowbroker.

Deleted member 7219

Anyone else love the Mako?

Riel

Arcane

Anyone else love the Mako?

The funny thing is that there was nothing wrong with MAKO's physics but people had problem grasping the idea of traction: you don't have traction from wheels that are not in contact with the ground, if you accelerate when one side was in a jump while the other was in contact with the ground you are going to turn. It was easy as that, "do not accelerate mid air " and the Mako started to move perfectly fine.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I love Mass Effect and have been waiting for an excuse to replay them, but I hope it's not just a reskin with higher rez graphics. My ideal would be if they kept the same stories/characters/plot, but redid the gameplay in the ME:A engine. As much as ME:A was a bloated, tedious, mediocrity, its combat was actually pretty good. I know people like to claim that the series got worse as it went along, but regardless of what you think of the writing, combat consistently got better from game to game. As much as I love ME1, I don't really relish playing through all the combat/Make sequences again.

Given that these were announced out of nowhere, though, I imagine it's just going to be "modded" Mass Effect. It would be a HUGE amount of work to redo all 3 games in a single engine and normalize the combat to make them all consistent. This is probably just going to be a cheap cash grab.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

The first ME is the worst of the bunch. They’re all kind of shit but the other two are at least entertaining in places. The first one is jank glued together with derp.
ME1 is terribly mediocre, but it's not the worst. ME3's retarded parts are just too retarded.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The Mako has nothing to do with the rest of the game: You can't choose weapons, has no abilities, doesn't even level up. Yes, I know having techs in your squad affects the Mako repairs but no other RPG feature does.
It doesn't even fit with the story: Why the fuck do you even use the world's greatest stealth ship when you use it to drop a tank, what kind of elite agent does that?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Mako has everything to do with game. Try traversing this planet's mountains. GIANT PAIN. I assume Mako and gameplay enhancement will be part of remaster.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I feel like that's a remake more than a remaster. Remasters 99% of the time are just higher resolution versions for new consoles. Even when they make some tweaks, like Doom 3's did, they usually suck. I wouldn't expect more than PC max settings at 4k with maybe some higher res textures and UI tweaks.

Trotsky

Arcane
Mass Effect had the best story/atmosphere of the trilogy introducing great ideas with future payoffs and the game had an underrated soundtrack as well.

Mass Effect 2 had by far the best gameplay/graphics of the trilogy & is Bioware's most polished game as well as the last game created by classic Bioware.

Mass Effect 3 was a train wreck from start to finish. Everything got worse especially the aesthetic, little to no payoffs for storylines, and a disastrous end.

The MP was good in ME3 I'll give it that the concept just worked well. However the damage ME3 did to the gaming world cannot be undone it's that bad.

EAware's latest project is either a remaster or a remake which is crucial because only one can revive the franchise and begin the overdue healing process.

If this is a proper remake with significant changes/additions while maintaining the same basic structure playing into the strengths of each title then great.

Prime Junta

Mass Effect had the best story/atmosphere of the trilogy introducing great ideas with future payoffs and the game had an underrated soundtrack as well.

Strong disagree. Everything looked either like a shopping mall or a bombed-out parking garage. All the planets looked the same. The same font everywhere. The same blue lighting everywhere. The story hooks and ideas were painfully clichéd and it was obvious they hadn't even thought them through, as evident from the WE ARE BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION villain speech among other things.

The world and story was a cheap knock-off from Babylon 5 without a shred of originality, and the borrowing was done thoughtlessly and carelessly. Thedas/DA:O wasn't the least bit original either, but at least there the ideas had been carefully thought through and painstakingly put together, which makes all the difference. Any "future payoffs" were written in after the fact, in attempts to paper over the enormous cracks in the ME1 story/worldbuilding.

ME1's charm lies with Commander Shepard and the companion shenanigans – as always with BioWare games.

Mass Effect 2 had by far the best gameplay/graphics of the trilogy & is Bioware's most polished game as well as the last game created by classic Bioware.

Agree. However it also goes way too deep into derp, like the whole thing about dealing with everybody's daddy issues while there's a universe to save, and the "uh, we ran out of ideas, how about a GIANT SKELETON?" end fight. Once again, the game falls flat because they hadn't thought the villain through.

Mass Effect 3 was a train wreck from start to finish. Everything got worse especially the aesthetic, little to no payoffs for storylines, and a disastrous end.

Disagree. The only thing badly wrong with ME 3 is the RGB ending, and that can once again be traced down to the trilogy's original sin and BioWare's failure to figure it out: who or what exactly are the Reapers, and what's their deal all about? Nobody knows, so we end up with complete derp. Which is really a crying shame because it's not all that hard, even I was able to come up with a plausible motivation for them.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Thing is, most planet are barren lifeless rocks like our solar system, and shady organizations, pirat swould use cheap prefab buildings that look the same and dont stick out . Unlike the Normandy with a cerberus logo arriving in Citadel
and elsewere of course, which is like wearing a Hitler t-shirt in Israel.:roll: And at least those sidequests had dialogue and choices,unlike in 2, where Shepard yet again wipes out mercs or solves dumb puzzles, and thats it, pointless fillers with no feedback like from
Hackett or the Shadowbroker.

On principle I would agree with you, but it's not an artistic choice, since the materials they use for these "prefabs" are the same used by the fucking corps on Noveria. Besides, it's not just the assets, but the layout too. Every planetary base has is structured in the same way, I still remember it: entrance, hallway, hall, then another hallway on the left, another room and another straight wall that ends with a T intersection

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Strong disagree. Everything looked either like a shopping mall or a bombed-out parking garage. All the planets looked the same. The same font everywhere. The same blue lighting everywhere. The story hooks and ideas were painfully clichéd and it was obvious they hadn't even thought them through, as evident from the WE ARE BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION villain speech among other things.

I really like the citadel look and feel in ME1, and that ending planet with the dudes in storage, but most of the stuff between those two is meh visually and pretty cliche. The open planets is a wonderful idea that Andromeda would later make the only thing it did well, but in ME1 they're very basic with horrible indoor sections. I'd certainly call ME1 a flawed gem in a lot of ways but this Codex idea that's it's vastly superior to its sequels is pretty weird IMO, and likely based solely around it having loot and more numbers.

J1M

Arcane
I am writing this post from the perspective of an EA executive.

ME1: If we had the time and money it would be nice to revamp the combat system so it aligns with ME2. People liked that one and journalists complained in their reviews that when they combined their poor dexterity with intentionally building the weakest possible character they had trouble with the final encounter.

ME2: Up the resolution on Shepard's face textures and pretend we did more than that.

ME3: This is how we win back the audience. We are going to add a "secret" 5th ending to the game that will allow us to retcon that clusterfuck and set up the next game. We'll tie unlocking the ending to something arbitrary like having Shepard at a level that requires carrying a character forward through all three games or something. Add a boss battle if we have time. But let's get it right. We are running out of colors.

DLC: Include all of it and remind people that there's no other way to buy play the complete experience.

alyvain

Learned
and elsewere of course, which is like wearing a Hitler t-shirt in Israel.:roll:

Would you also say that Bioware shall get rid of sound in space, good sir?

And at least those sidequests had dialogue and choices

Would you indulge me and say what quests you mention? Wouldn't it be the wipeouts of copy-pasted space bases in uncharted spaces or the pinnacle of C&C where you go back and forth throught the citadel to return the body of a the diseased soldier to his grieving widow?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom