Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Prime Junta

I could have sworn the Citadel had places that look like a park, a gambling hall and a club...

In a shopping mall.

And is alone bigger then all "hubs" in Mass Effect 2 combined.

But utterly boring and uniform.

Now this is strange, because i cant remember neither the Shadows nor the Vorlons wanted to wipe out all advanced spacefaring civilisations. And neither were robots. But i guess i have just issues with my memory....

Yeah and the asari had slightly different-shaped heads than the minbari. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah and the asari had slightly different-shaped heads than the minbari. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

There's hardly a major sci-fi franchise that ME didn't steal from get inspired by.

Apart from B5, there's:

- Star Wars
- Galaxy Quest
- Space Odyssey
- Battlestar Galactica
- Firefly
- Starflight I+II
- Starship Troopers
- Syd Mead designs
- ... and so on and so forth, this is not an exhaustive list

Bioware copies everything and repackages it as their own.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I always took the Asari for their OC version of the plant things from Farscape. Garrus's race was their ripoff of the Minbari, right down to starting off the human-alien conflict.
Pretty sure 85% of their design choices could be traced back to something someone did in Babylon 5 or Farscape. I'm sure they originally wanted to do their own Star Control or Starflight, but they went for the obvious thing to rip-off first.

Prime Junta

While we're talking about people ripping off Babylon 5, here's a fun fact: the Star Control devs accused Babylon 5 of ripping them off.

Space opera is a derivative genre. Still, you can borrow intelligently and thoughtfully, or lazily and superficially. ME did the latter.

Prime Junta

Screen-Shot-2017-08-10-at-11.46.38-650x322.png

valerian8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
ME 1 is worthy of a remaster.

A remaster would be just taking the vanilla version, upping the resolution and slapping METUIM/ALOT on it and calling it a day.

They HAVE to fix the issues with the original, mainly the copy pasted level design of the side quests, the level design of the uncharted worlds and the MAKO physics. Most of the side quests were so barren that they were resolved thorugh text.

Anyone else love the Mako?
I do, I do! Without it the sense of scale and scope were super diminished in the sequels. It was rightfully critiqued for not having enough content on the uncharted worlds, or rather unique content. Even so the barren and open nature of them helped to make the setting feel airy. It broke up missions and made it feel like you had actually journeyed a distance. Like on Noveria you had to take it between the place you land and the biolab, it made total sense that it would be a different complex. In a game like KOTOR it would just have been a straight up corridor and maybe a cutscene, but in Mass Effect you actually got to go out there and get immersed in the cold blizzards while driving to the next location. It was also a lot like in Starflight and Star Control where you could pick a planet that had very little story relevance, go down and pick up some resources and find a cool artifact left by some long gone visitors or dead civilization. It's just a shame they didn't pour more resources into it.

They tried to recapture that in the sequel with the flying thingy DLC, but that was just straight up linear racing tracks with combat and one sort of open location used it in the Overlord DLC. Then they dropped it completely in the third game, but it wouldn't have fit in there anyway. The Mako wasn't the only thing cut in the sequels, but they also became more cramped and the open spaces from the first game were reduced to only corridors. Big places like the Citadel were slimmed down to the bare minimum a hub needs. It was like going back to the KOTOR days. And let's not forget the terrible planet scanning they replaced it with, that was just dreadful.

donkeymong

Scholar
Another thing that got worse in the sequels was the seperation in combat and non combat zones. See, theres cover( completely obvious and unorganic) and you can draw your weapon?? Its time for combat, no suprises here, like the ambush by Krogans
in Noveria, if Shepard kept the weapon mod.

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
Another thing that got worse in the sequels was the seperation in combat and non combat zones. See, theres cover( completely obvious and unorganic) and you can draw your weapon?? Its time for combat, no suprises here, like the ambush by Krogans
in Noveria, if Shepard kept the weapon mod.
This so much, that was truly awful and made the game so predictable when it came to the flow of it. That's so typical of Bioware by the way, making things too formulaic. You know immediately how things will pan out when you enter an area and that takes the air out of any tension that might have been there. Like if you confronted a weapon smuggler or whatever and it turned violent in a sidequest in the first game you could end up in a shootout surrounded by enemies, nothing like that ever happens in the later games. It's either talky bits or a shooty bit, sooo dull. You never have to worry about saying the wrong thing, and even worse, I'm sure this took away some diplomatic solutions to conflicts, because they have already designed a shooting gallery and can't let you skip it, as that would be a waste of resources.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron

What you are describing is what people like to refer to as "oh but ME2 had much better combat".

It came at a cost.

Scarlet Lilith

Learned
What you are describing is what people like to refer to as "oh but ME2 had much better combat".
No, it might have been a factor but it's far from the only thing that made people say ME2 had better combat. It did a bunch of things different. Like the reloading thing for example, snappier controls and better feedback and stuff.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
They'd have to rewrite major portions of the story starting in ME2 and retcon reapers back to their original intention. There's simply nothing Shepard can do that could ever compare to dealing with the reapers, they're a galaxy-wide extinction event.
I wonder how much they kick themselves for writing themselves into a corner like that. Easiest way out would probably be an alternate universe.
They wrote themselves into a corner because they were under the delusion that reapers were scifi. They're fantasy through and through, and they should have thought swords and planets.

donkeymong

Scholar
No, it might have been a factor but it's far from the only thing that made people say ME2 had better combat. It did a bunch of things different. Like the reloading thing for example, snappier controls and better feedback and stuff.
Combat in Mass Effect is more then just shooting people. Some aspect of it got better while a lot others got worse. The addition of headshot damage multiplier was good. The cover system maybe a bit better. Thing is, in the first game, cover was only important in the beginning. Later, combat classes had defensive abilities like immunity (too strong for Shepard and enemies alike though), barrier for biotics and the engineer could simply sabotage enemy weapons. The second game lacks any meaningfull crowd control(singularity is pathetically weak, 3m radius at best) and defensive abilities, so it forces the player into cover aside of the Vanguard. , making combat worse and not better this way(less options).

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
No, it might have been a factor but it's far from the only thing that made people say ME2 had better combat.

It's what highlights that ME2 made combat a thing of its own, it tears you out of the "normal" game and into the "combat" game.

It made combat a mini-game within the main game and put most emphasis on guns over abilities, unlike ME1.

"Better" combat came at a cost, it made the entire game more gamey. This wasn't necessary as shown in ME:A when combat and exploration is once again like in ME1, with better combat than ME2 or 3. It was just Bioware over-correcting.

donkeymong

Scholar
No, it might have been a factor but it's far from the only thing that made people say ME2 had better combat.

It's what highlights that ME2 made combat a thing of its own, it tears you out of the "normal" game and into the "combat" game.

It made combat a mini-game within the main game and put most emphasis on guns over abilities, unlike ME1.

"Better" combat came at a cost, it made the entire game more gamey. This wasn't necessary as shown in ME:A when combat and exploration is once again like in ME1, with better combat than ME2 or 3. It was just Bioware over-correcting.
And Andromeda removed the retarded global cooldown of all abilities. Another thing that made combat worse.

Cat Dude

Savant

There's hardly a major sci-fi franchise that ME didn't steal from get inspired by.

Apart from B5, there's:

- Star Wars
- Galaxy Quest
- Space Odyssey
- Battlestar Galactica
- Firefly
- Starflight I+II
- Starship Troopers
- Syd Mead designs
- ... and so on and so forth, this is not an exhaustive list

Bioware copies everything and repackages it as their own.

They admitted years ago that Final Fantasy The Spirit Within was their biggest inspiration for making Mass effect.

finalfantasy11.jpg

final-fantasy-the-spirits-within-1641-1.jpg

final-fantasy-the-spirits-within-1641-7.jpg

final-fantasy-the-spirits-within-1641-11.jpg

v1.bjs0MDY4MzU7ajsxODQ1NDsxMjAwOzEyMDE7NjQ4

v1.bjs0MDY4Mjg7ajsxODQ1NDsxMjAwOzkwMDs2NzU

v1.bjs0MDY4MzQ7ajsxODQ1NDsxMjAwOzExOTg7NjQ4

Technomancer

Liturgist
They admitted years ago that Final Fantasy The Spirit Within was their biggest inspiration for making Mass effect.
That's crazy when I watched that movie literally nothing in it screams Mass Effect. Except visions of the dead aliens. When I watched Babylon 5 almost in every episode I noticed a familiar fragment.

Cat Dude

Savant
That's crazy when I watched that movie literally nothing in it screams Mass Effect. Except visions of the dead aliens. When I watched Babylon 5 almost in every episode I noticed a familiar fragment.

I know everything is the better in the west but sometimes we have to swallow our pride

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com/mass-effect-is-inspired-by-final-fantasy-5816078/amp

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom