Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: Microsoft in talks to buy Paradox

CyberModuled

Arbiter
I'll be saddened if this rumor is true. It's been a while since the industry has had a AAA game just outright cancelled (especially when said game didn't look very good at all)

thesecret1

Arcane
First Zenimax, now Paradox? Microsoft's strategy to resurrect its gaming division really is "throw more money at it."

Delterius

Arcane
a million nerds would sooner pay into microsoft game pass than 5,000 dollars in each paradox game DLC pack
Gamepass doesn't normally include dlc, tho I'm not sure if that applies to their first party stuff.
hmmm, paradox IS currently employing its own subscription model - microsoft could just merge them and make this an exception

this is just acquisitions by a corporate entity that pays so little effective taxes they probably get money from the US government, does it have to be justifiable?

Blaza

Educated
Hopefully this is just a rumor, even though I haven't bought a Paradox game since Stellaris it would suck to lose a dev who's so Linux friendly..though occasionally "Linux friendly" means "not hostile"

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
First Zenimax, now Paradox? Microsoft's strategy to resurrect its gaming division really is "throw more money at it."

These tech giants no longer care about making money by merely creating a product or service. Asset-stripping and IP license fees are now the coolest scam of generating fake growth. Yay neoliberalism!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Valve is a private company (not traded on the stock market), it can only be bought out if Gabe Newell wants to sell.

It'd make sense I suppose. Some of Bethesda's recent games showed up on game pass before they were bought out, and Crusader Kings 3 inexplicably had a day 1 launch on game pass. Feels a bit weird though since I figure Microsoft would focus on consoles more and Paradox is presumably much more for deranged PC fetishists. I know they've apparently made some console ports of their shit recently but I've got a hard time believing there's much interest in 'em but I certainly could be wrong.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hopefully this is just a rumor, even though I haven't bought a Paradox game since Stellaris it would suck to lose a dev who's so Linux friendly..though occasionally "Linux friendly" means "not hostile"

Intern: Sir, Linux gaming keeps improving at a rapid pace thanks to financial support from your former employee and current gaming nemesis Gabe Newell.
Gates: Dammit! Throw more money at high profile developers to make sure they only use DirectX.
Intern: Sir, we've been doing that! We threw money at CDPR to ensure Cyberpunk 2077 used DirectX 12 a-and...
Gates: And what!? Spit it out!
Intern: It was playable on Linux day 1!
Gates: Day 1!? How is that even possible!?
Intern: Sir, what are we going to do? If gamers start switching to Linux we won't be able to harvest their personal information! Our OEM partners will leave us if we can't automatically force updates to their machines to further slow down our bloated OS!
Gates: We've already lost the server market, and ChromeOS is stealing the education market right out from under our noses. We can't afford to lose the Mountain Dew and Doritos crowd. It's time for the nuclear option.
Intern: Sir, what's that?
Gates: BUY ALL THE GAME DEVELOPERS!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom