Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: New Vegas 2 from Obsidian

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:slamdunk:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/fallout-new-vegas/2-sequel-obsidian

Fallout: New Vegas 2 is reportedly in early talks at Obsidian
fallout-new-vegas-2-sequel-580x334.jpg

Microsoft now owns Bethesda, Obsidian, and the Fallout franchise. Since all those pieces came together, fans have been asking when we’re getting a sequel to the fan favourite, Fallout: New Vegas. We still don’t know when or even if Fallout: New Vegas 2 is coming, but one reliable industry insider reports that the game is in very early – but serious – talks at the studio.

“This is very early,” journalist Jeff Grubb says in his latest GrubbSnax podcast (paywalled). “But people have begun to have talks and say these words in sentences. And those words are ‘Obsidian’ and ‘New Vegas 2’. Very early. We’re talking years and years away. But I will say there’s at least an interest and conversations being had about making something like that actually a reality.”

Grubb speculates that Microsoft doesn’t want to leave the Fallout IP dormant for too long. Presumably, Bethesda’s focus for the better part of the next decade will be on Starfield, continued updates for Starfield, then The Elder Scrolls 6 and further updates for that. If Fallout simply stuck with Bethesda, it could be a very long time without a new entry in a very popular series.

“It’s not like people are just throwing out the notion [of Obsidian making New Vegas 2] immediately,” Grubb says. “It looks like they are trying to move in that direction.”

With the waits we’re still enduring for the Starfield release date and The Elder Scrolls 6 release date, a little something extra to fill that time would go a long way.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Awesome sequel to awesome game, really brings Fallout into the modern era.

Can’t wait to see Obsidian unleashed from the shackles of Bethesda!

Harthwain

Magister
You say that as if these people were guaranteed to retain the same level of quality they had back then.
I'd certainly have more faith in the project with people like Chris and Josh being involved.
I get where you are coming from, but I am pessimistic realistic about this. I think the team as a whole is more important than its single figures, even notable ones. And I doubt they will be able to pull together even roughly similar kind of team, even with Chris and Josh.

Berengar

Learned
After the colossal bland, whitebread-ass Outerworlds I have no faith in this, sad to say.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You say that as if these people were guaranteed to retain the same level of quality they had back then.
I'd certainly have more faith in the project with people like Chris and Josh being involved.
What was your favorite part of F:NV, was it the quest compass or how skills only gated content in increments of 25%?

edit: personally, I liked the words. Really good words, some say the best. Also: the factions. Everyone loves dress up!!

Vatnik Wumao
What was your favorite part of F:NV, was it the quest compass or how skills only gated content in increments of 25%?
Perhaps I should've underlined that I was referring to their contributions to worldbuilding and narrative design? Gameplaywise FNV is not particularly appealing to me, but it's nevertheless one of my favorite RPGs due to my storyfag inclinations.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Perhaps I should've underlined that I was referring to their contributions to worldbuilding and narrative design? Gameplaywise FNV is not particularly appealing to me, but it's nevertheless one of my favorite RPGs due to my storyfag inclinations.
To each the own, everyone is allowed to like bad games (I know I do), but calling something one of your favorite RPGs due to worldbuilding and narrative, while recognizing that the gameplay sucks, is bizarre to me.

It's akin to professing your favorite food tastes bad, your favorite play doesn't translate well to the stage, or your best friend is a wax figurine. RPGs without good gameplay are hollow, to say the least.

Oberon

Learned
To each the own, everyone is allowed to like bad games (I know I do), but calling something one of your favorite RPGs due to worldbuilding and narrative, while recognizing that the gameplay sucks, is bizarre to me.

It's akin to professing your favorite food tastes bad, your favorite play doesn't translate well to the stage, or your best friend is a wax figurine. RPGs without good gameplay are hollow, to say the least.

Arcanum is a fantastic RPG

Vatnik Wumao
Eh, I tend to compartmentalize my enjoyment of various media. Just like I can appreciate a movie for its narrative despite subpar cinematography or a song for its lyrics despite subpar instrumentals or vocals, so can I enjoy a game despite subpar gameplay if it provides an immersive experience and/or a neat narrative (naturally as long as all those subpar elements aren't so bad that they make enjoyment of what's otherwise good about the piece impossible). Ideally it'd strike all chords positively, but it doesn't have to.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hóngwèibīng fair enough, but that's actually why I didn't use movies or music to analogize. Some media have pieces so intrinsic to them as to be defined by it, others are more multifaceted wherein it's easy to take such a compartmentalizing approach. I agree with your take on movies and music, just not on games. Games with poor gameplay are just poor games.

Codex Year of the Donut
Gameplay is a nondescript term that means different things to different people, akin to judging books on their bookread or movies on their moviewatch. Someone can think FNV has good gameplay due to liking the way you solve quests or interact with the world while simultaneously thinking it has poor combat.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Gameplay is a nondescript term that means different things to different people, akin to judging books on their bookread or movies on their moviewatch. Someone can think FNV has good gameplay due to liking the way you solve quests or interact with the world while simultaneously thinking it has poor combat.
that's also a fair point, except one would expect the person who says they like a game while simultaneously saying it has poor gameplay would be using a conceptualization of gameplay that fits their broader assessment of the game. to say a game is good but has bad gameplay is to just say it is a bad game at best, or cognitive dissonance at worst.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It doesn't make sense to do another New Vegas. The US has plenty of interesting locations and biomes for them to explore, especially if you want to do them post-nuclear holocaust. They could do something in mountains, something in the Montana/Dakotas area, deep south, upstate NY, etc. Tons of stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom