Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rune Factory 4 on Steam - yay or nay?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It's getting "Very Positive" reviews from the weebs on Steam. What do you boys n girls think? I must admit, I played RF2 on DS emulation and had a blast so I kinda wanna do it again but with everything kicked up a notch. I just can't bring myself to play Stardew Valley because I like combat and intense & involved kill mechanics and SV seemed lacking in that. But I really enjoyed the combat sequences in RF2 in between the romance & the farming. Should I play this? It still kinda makes me feel gay, but hey... if it's fun it's fun.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Rune Factory 4 is utter trash, don't.

I have it for the 3DS it's just a shitty game like most modern Harvest Moon games.
play the old ones or the games that are made in the same vein like Stardew valley.

Rafidur

Learned
It is much better than RF2, so you'll probably love it. I don't know how it stands as a port, though.

jungl

Augur
Its not that great of a game simulation game. Content wise compared to other games of its genre there is little there unless you consider grinding crafting skill #7 from level 41-46 awesome.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Well that reaction surprises me, what do you guys like about the game?

It's incredibly tedious, grindy and uninspired.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Rune factory 4 is legit the best ds and "farm/dungeon/village" game ever.

There is no a single reason to play some bad clones like stardew over this.

Jinn

Arcane
Alright, so this is all opinion formed while playing on the hardest difficulty - Hellmode - which you get to pick upon entering your first dungeon in this version of the game. Everything else comes with the assumption you know the basics of the J- Farmsim genre.

Pros:
- A great multitude of skills to cultivate throughout the playthrough, both farming, social, and combat oriented. More than I've ever seen in any game of this type
- Same goes for weapon types, each with their own moveset, strengths, and weaknesses.
- A plethora of various special weapon skills and spells, each corresponding with particular skills.
- The ability to recruit, train, and equip almost any member of the town to accompany your dungeon and world exploration (up to two can join at a time).
- Huge amount of equipment to craft, with materials and skill having a large impact on their outcome.
- Huge amount consumables to craft, with ingredients and skill having a large impact on their outcome.
- Ability to tame and raise any monster in the game, including bosses at a certain point.
- Increasingly challenging dungeons and exploration that requires attentive resource management to pull off efficiently.
- Surprisingly challenging boss fights.
- All of the above culminating in rewarding progression you can actually feel, and that is not at all grindy if you learn and master the above.
- Mix in the relaxing elements of your J-Farmsim genre, including attention to things like crop rotation and fertilizer building to grow the best crops, and sometimes even use these crops as weapons.
- A likeable cast of characters once you get to know them, each with their own routines and relationships with one another.
- A game made by remnants of the Neverland studio, a number of key developers of some of my favorite SNES era RPGs, particularly Lufia 2 and Chaos Seed - Fuusui Kairouki, and Energy Breaker. These influences shine through in RF 4.

Cons:
- Ultimately a game originally made for the 3DS in 2012, with all that might imply.
- They did the best they could to upscale the sprites and backgrounds, but it's not a pretty game up close. Still has its charm though.
- Besides the nice difficulty of the combat on Hell difficulty, the dungeons could use a bit more interactivity and sense of exploration.
- Some awkward UI elements far from the modern standard.
- A little too sacharrine at times, but what do you expect. You get what you see.

It's the most challenging of these types of games I've ever played, with rewarding progression and a nice relaxing town to farm in and spend your time. Probably the most mechanically and systems dense game of this type. I have yet to feel a grind 20 hours in, and suspect those who do have self-imposed it.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
If you want peak Rune factory, emulate Rune factory frontier. Rune factory 4 is alright, and you should definitely play it if you're into the genre. I just prefer my farming games to have a slower pace and it feels like all the qol changes in rf4 serve to make the game rushed and faster paced.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
If you want peak Rune factory, emulate Rune factory frontier. Rune factory 4 is alright, and you should definitely play it if you're into the genre. I just prefer my farming games to have a slower pace and it feels like all the qol changes in rf4 serve to make the game rushed and faster paced.

I enjoyed Frontier loads more, i am wondering why the experience seems to be so different for most, but well thats taste i guess.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I enjoyed Frontier loads more, i am wondering why the experience seems to be so different for most, but well thats taste i guess.

I think most people's complaint about frontier would be quality of life stuff and the runey system. If you can get past or even enjoy those qualities, frontier has some of the best characters, dungeons, farming system, and bosses the series has to offer.

Jinn

Arcane
So is it gud? I want something comfy to play at winter.

Does the big list of pros I posted above have anything that sounds good about it in it? I'm clearly the only one playing the PC release, and you've heard from those interested enough to talk about their prior experiences with the original. Don't think you're going to get much more than that.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
What about Tides of Destiny, the followup to Frontier? Anyone want to weigh in on that one? I saw someone say it had the best combat of the series.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
What about Tides of Destiny, the followup to Frontier? Anyone want to weigh in on that one? I saw someone say it had the best combat of the series.
Combats more hack and slash than the other games. Some enjoy it more but i didn't. I liked the village and villagers but the deal breaker for me was the farming. If you like or are playing the game for farming, stay away from tides of destiny.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's the most challenging of these types of games I've ever played, with rewarding progression and a nice relaxing town to farm in and spend your time. Probably the most mechanically and systems dense game of this type. I have yet to feel a grind 20 hours in, and suspect those who do have self-imposed it.
If you're only 20 hours in and feel the game is difficult, get ready for the final dungeon... it's pretty challenging even on normal difficulties. I think it essentially requires you to have a ranged option, so look out for that.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
If you're only 20 hours in and feel the game is difficult, get ready for the final dungeon... it's pretty challenging even on normal difficulties. I think it essentially requires you to have a ranged option, so look out for that.

If you go melee it helps a ton to have a skill/move that provides mobility like the screw driver attack and another with a wide arc that has good stun/knockback.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Enjoying it so far. Just unlocked second region and ghost mansion. Will probably bring Forte with me just for lulz. Still need to up my farm game, because right now i can't even buy new recipes. Being poorfag is suffering.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Nice game but i can't treat it as main game to completely focus on, more like side activity with 1-2 short sessions daily.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom