Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rune II: Decapitation Edition - abandoned by Human Head Studios, still causing drama

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh fuck, don't tell me your character is going to be positioned on the left side of the screen like all your modern day AAAshit. Because cutting off/reducing left side peripheral vision is perfect for melee combat, yessir.

I absolutely fucking HATE this terrible trend of shifting third person perspective from the functional thing where it was behind your character (Gothic, Tomb Raider, GTA3, etc etc) to this modern weird over the shoulder kind of thing where your character is always to the side. Who the FUCK thinks this is a good idea?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Wonder why they have to show these rough gameplay videos so early in development? They're going to do Early Access this year?

I have to guess ESDF do not fund the entire budget and they are looking for additional investors... with that.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.runeragnarok.com/the-rune-recap-episode-010-closed-alpha-combat-test/

The Rune Recap Episode #010: Closed Alpha Combat Test

CombatAlphaBlog.jpg

Gather your axes, swords, and spears because we’re inviting you to play Rune…with us.

That’s right. We’re ready for you to play Rune. You have given us great feedback on the gameplay videos we’ve posted so far. In an effort to get even more feedback, we’re inviting select members of the community to join us in our Closed Alpha Combat Tests. Our 10th episode of The Rune Recaphas the details, but here’s what you need to know to get started:
  1. We’re in ALPHA. This is the very first time fans are joining us to test the game.
  2. We’re starting the test on one island.
  3. First come. First served. We will be randomly selecting users to participate in our Closed Alpha Combat Tests, but we’re limiting the number of servers available. We’ll announce via email and on Facebook when the servers will be up, but they are first come, first served, so make sure you add the playtests to your calendar.
  4. You have to be on our email list. Yes, that’s correct. The only way you can be chosen to throw down in our first Viking PvP ceremony is to be selected from our email list. Why? Well, we need to communicate with you via email and we’re looking for loyal fans who want to help us test combat. If you’ve already won a key, you will be invited to join the combat test in addition to participating in our Open World Closed Beta later this summer.
  5. You’ll get alpha and beta access. If you’re selected to help us test combat, the key you receive will also work for our Open World Closed Beta Tests later this year. So, if you aren’t able to help test combat, or you are terrible with dates and didn’t make it in before servers were full, you’ll have access to the game in closed beta, too.
  6. The test starts in May. We’re only a few weeks away from letting an exclusive group of testers experience the turmoil of Ragnarok. We’re notifying winners via email at the end of April. (So go sign up.)
A few more public service announcements before we get to the video…
• We’ve officially posted our last contest. Thank you for participating!
• We’re no longer drawing key winners from Facebook. The only way to get a key in the future is to be randomly selected from our email list. (But we’d still really appreciate it if you like us on Facebook. We post fun GIFS.)

"run around an island and killing each other"

That sounds very familiar... Remember when I said this is indirectly funded with PUBG money?

Anyway GDC demo clips:

Shadenuat

Arcane
The hp bars and flying numbers ruin the Rune feeling. Not enough dismemberment. And I don't understand if you can control your moves precisely with the mouse or not.

funkadelik

Arcane
Why is the combat so slow. I need hectic 360 sword slash decapitation multiplayer, or bust!

Beowulf

Arcane
The hp bars and flying numbers ruin the Rune feeling. Not enough dismemberment. And I don't understand if you can control your moves precisely with the mouse or not.

I agree.

But on the other hand, floating numbers indicate, that there are deep RPG systems in that game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-use...-projectiles-in-open-world-survival-rpg-rune/

You can use severed limbs as weapons and projectiles in open world survival RPG Rune
In fact, you can use any weapon as a projectile. If you've run out of arrows, you can even throw your bow.

I'm not sure if it says something about me or the kinds of games I play, but while trying out an alpha build of Rune, the upcoming third-person sandbox survival RPG from Human Head Studios, the first thing I asked after picking up the dismembered arm of a human enemy was: "Can I eat this?"

In my defense, a few minutes earlier I had stomped on a lizard, then picked it up, bit its head off, and casually tossed the rest of it over my shoulder. So maybe (hopefully) asking Rune's project director Chris Rhinehart if I could eat human limbs wasn't a question completely out of left field. Turns out you can't use human limbs as food, but you can use them as weapons. In Rune, you can beat a guy to death with his dead buddy's arms and legs. Just look elsewhere for a snack.

Rune is Human Head Studios' return to the world of what is now called Rune Classic, the hack-and-slash Viking action adventure game released in 2000. Now Human Head is taking its Vikings into the open world survival RPG genre. Servers will support up to 64 players at a time, but there will also be an option for playing solo on a private server. I got a look at the basics of Rune with an alpha build at E3.

After some character creation (I focused mostly on selecting my tattoos and facial hair), we began on one island but quickly found a viking longship—which you'll be able to craft—and sailed to another. Armed with just an axe and shield I did battle with some NPC vikings, giants, and a few other nasty creatures, though after swapping my axe for an enormous flaming sword I was introduced to a fun feature of Rune: you can throw your weapons, any and all of them, whenever you want.

It happened first by accident. I'd been swarmed by a handful of high-level NPCs and was attempting to hack at them while running by, when I held down the Q key instead of the W key. Q brings up an aiming reticle for throwing projectiles, and I didn't realize my sword was a projectile weapon at the moment, so when I clicked the mouse button to attack, I wound up chucking my sword into one of the enemies, where it lodged.

This now meant I had to retrieve my sword from the still-living NPC, so I ran past him again, yanking my sword out of his body so I could resume melee combat. Rhinehart explained that any weapon can be thrown as a projectile, and that even includes bows. Run out of arrows and your enemy is still standing? Throw your bow at him. It's what gangsters do in old-timey movies when they run out of bullets, right? Chuck their gun as a last ditch attempt to win the fight.

Once I knew I could throw all my weapons, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that's what I spent the rest of the demo doing. I threw my sword into a giant's arm, then ran up to him, leapt into the air, and yanked it back out of him again. I lost my axe repeatedly due to poor aim, missing my target and then having to hunt through the bushes to find it again. And of course, you can throw severed arms and legs as well as use them as melee weapons. It gives combat a fun and improvisational feel, being able to grab whatever is handy and swing it or throw it at someone.

My own arm was cut off at one point, but unfortunately I wasn't able to discover if I could pick it up and use it as a weapon with my remaining arm, because I was killed a moment later. According to Rhinehart, you can survive with your own arm severed, provided you heal yourself before you bleed out.

I wish I'd had a bit more time with Rune: the combat was gory, fast-paced, and fun, and the map showed a world dotted with many more islands than the two I got to visit. Rune is headed for a closed beta (with both PvP and PvE servers) on June 23, and plans to enter Steam Early Access later in the year.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Which was possible in the original Rune. Not sure about throwing a bow though.

Servers will support up to 64 players at a time, but there will also be an option for playing solo on a private server.

But no offline?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom