Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Russian game named "Steel Sheet" or "Tin" based on Silent Storm engine?

Norfleet

The better translation I can think of for "Steel Sheet" is probably "Iron Curtain". But if you're thinking about a game based on the Silent Storm engine, you might be thinking of Hammer and Sickle. I do not know of a game with the name AND specific details (Silent Storm engine) you describe, though. This, however, seems to fit the theme you describe.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The better translation I can think of for "Steel Sheet" is probably "Iron Curtain". But if you're thinking about a game based on the Silent Storm engine, you might be thinking of Hammer and Sickle. I do not know of a game with the name AND specific details (Silent Storm engine) you describe, though. This, however, seems to fit the theme you describe.

OK, I guess I'll never understand why to play Russian "games" of 2000s in 2021.

Wunderbar

Arcane
the game he was talking about is "Жесть", which is a noun derived from "жесткий" and can be translated as "Hardcore".

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
:nocountryforshitposters:

Жесть means tin metal, but also used as exclamation, something like "this is sick, fucked up or demented shit".

Like,
-"have you seen what Shittesda done to Fallout franchise?"
-"Жесть!"

Game uses that meaning, obviously

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
:nocountryforshitposters:

Жесть means tin metal, but also used as exclamation, something like "this is sick, fucked up or demented shit".

Like,
-"have you seen what Shittesda done to Fallout franchise?"
-"Жесть!"

Game uses that meaning, obviously

also it's a trash slasher movie from 2006 rated 5/10 by 10k people on Russian version of imdb.

54d95cb4c0ff4707a762dad8f54ccc8f__lxpj5lm.jpg
4fe7e377c0e8978628d3ded2103f56ce.jpg
1611586-269916.jpg

PrettyDeadman

Better translation to Жесть would be Metal (as in "thats so metal") or Hardcore, or Brutal.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
the game he was talking about is "Жесть", which is a noun derived from "жесткий" and can be translated as "Hardcore".
I’d argue that. «Жесть» (literally Tinplate) in this sense is closer to “brutal”, “violent”, “hard to digest, related to say a video”. It is indeed a derivative of «Жёсткий» which means “hard, firm”, but has another connotation with negative overtones, while english “Hardcore” tends to be more of a neutral to positive expression.

PrettyDeadman

I’d argue that. «Жесть» (literally Tinplate) in this sense is closer to “brutal”, “violent”, “hard to digest, related to say a video”. It is indeed a derivative of «Жёсткий» which means “hard, firm”, but has another connotation with negative overtones, while english “Hardcore” tends to be more of a neutral to positive expression.
There are more neutral / ironic form of the term Жесть which are Жестко))) or Жоско))) and historically connotations have carried other to the original term Жесть softening its meaning. I'd argue that the term Жесть))) is fully equal to Жестко))) and Жоско))) and since the usage of ))) is completely optional and can only be discerned by the context of the word I would be doubly careful when making any hard judgements on the meaning of the world without deconstructing the context of the sentence it was used in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom