Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Russian indie hit Eador: Genesis got an English release

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh wow... Attacking a Dragon's Lair is not a good idea... Even if you can find one hex away from your starting province.

Absalom

This interests me. It seems like a reboot of Kings Bounty/Heroes of Might and Magic/Age of Wonders/ Master of Magic to me. Which is always good in the hood son

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Oh wow... Attacking a Dragon's Lair is not a good idea... Even if you can find one hex away from your starting province.
What did you expect? Eador doesn't scale to your level :rpgcodex:

also, a report. I've grabbed a few shards, met my first godly opponent and beat him easily on a tiny map. However, in the one I'm currently playing, he's all about pikemen garrisons and my chances look bleaker. My score's pretty damn low, as I reloaded mightily during the first two or so games.

william blake

Educated
A couple more questions:

- if I explore a province and get "you didn't find anything interesting", does it mean there's nothing more to search for?
each province has some "spesial places"(im not sure about right translation cos of my russian version),opened or hidden,located on fixed percent of exploring."you didn't find anything interesting" means "there are no "special places" between percent x and percent y ".only 100% explored province is "nothing more to search for".
- are there any more races available to play, or are humans the only starting faction? that sounds kinda lame.
nope.when you playing muliplayer HoMM,for example,you find yourself dealing mostly with two stacks of "shock troops"-vivs and angels.you find your opponent and,surprise,same "shock troops".this is lame,yes.
in eador,you can effectively use much more unit combo,nearly all of this guys http://www.eador.com/en/page3.html (russian eadoropaedia) may be present in your regular army.
sorry for my poor english,but i try hard :)

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
I approached a lizardman province and negotiated with them. They said if I kill 6 slugs nearby, they'll join me.

How do I find these slugs? There's now an exclamation mark above the province but I don't know what to do with it.

william blake

Educated
How do I find these slugs? There's now an exclamation mark above the province but I don't know what to do with it.
slugs,like other units,is included in guards of "special places"(?).exploring swamp province-best chance to find them.
kill 6 slugs,then return to the "exclamation mark"
beware,slugs are tier 2,poisonous and can shoot

I discovered I don't like playing it because of the auto-save function, I'm not interested in playing a strategy game where every single mistake you make is permanent, considering how long these things take to plan.
its part of the game mechanics.those rundom events,you know
"save" button ruined this part.
and ruined some scout skills too
see some VOD-s,high up your skill,and "return to the past"(?) is just enough
same questions we asked in 2009,and now any low-skilled player in russian community have fun and fight 7 dragons at a time
one thing to learn-correctly compare army strength

Overboard

Arcane
Explore territories, you'll sometimes find locations with slugs, use the relevant hero to kill them if he can manage it. Occasionally you'll fight slugs when taking over independent provinces. When you complete the quest the exclamation mark turns green, so return to the province and negotiate with them again for an alliance.

Note that you can only ally with one race, so if you have concurrent quests and fulfill them you'll get a reward but no alliance and hence no ability to recruit that race.

Thus far I've gotten Elves and Dwarves before. Elves are good archers, but fast moving melee units will rape them (e.g. Pegasi, Centaurs). Dwarves are solid melee units and also allow you to build an income upgrade for your mines. Centaurs are solid units, fast with ranged and melee attacks, so I'm going to try and get them next.

mondblut

Arcane
Thus far I've gotten Elves and Dwarves before. Elves are good archers, but fast moving melee units will rape them (e.g. Pegasi, Centaurs). Dwarves are solid melee units and also allow you to build an income upgrade for your mines. Centaurs are solid units, fast with ranged and melee attacks, so I'm going to try and get them next.

Centaurs are tier 2. They have to compete with the likes of horse archers and light cavalry there. They are reasonably good, but there is so much competition they are hardly essential.

OTOH, elves are hands-down the best thing tier 1 can offer. If you manage to stay good enough to ally with them, you don't need anyone else on tier 1, getting meatshields for them from higher tiers.

Overboard

Arcane
Heh I'm still at tier 1 units only, so anything tier 2 is only obtainable via random mercenary options, or centaurs, so for me centaurs are pretty good right now.

desocupado

Magister
I get a blank screen running the game. When I press winkey I can see the menu for a second before the game minimizes. I'm on an integrated intel graphics card, any ideas?

Adrageron

Novice
I get a blank screen running the game. When I press winkey I can see the menu for a second before the game minimizes. I'm on an integrated intel graphics card, any ideas?
Update your video drivers, this must help.

william blake

Educated
AFAIR,some hardware allow playing only in windowed mode.run eador.exe

mondblut

Arcane
Heh I'm still at tier 1 units only, so anything tier 2 is only obtainable via random mercenary options, or centaurs, so for me centaurs are pretty good right now.

Sorcerer's shops are relatively common finding, you can buy gargoyles there. Also, harpy nests. For tier 3, troll lairs.

Some people fixed their issues with intel cards by updating with most recent drivers (as banal as it sounds).

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
A couple more questions:

- if I explore a province and get "you didn't find anything interesting", does it mean there's nothing more to search for?
each province has some "spesial places"(im not sure about right translation cos of my russian version),opened or hidden,located on fixed percent of exploring."you didn't find anything interesting" means "there are no "special places" between percent x and percent y ".only 100% explored province is "nothing more to search for".
Thanks.
- are there any more races available to play, or are humans the only starting faction? that sounds kinda lame.
nope.when you playing muliplayer HoMM,for example,you find yourself dealing mostly with two stacks of "shock troops"-vivs and angels.you find your opponent and,surprise,same "shock troops".this is lame,yes.
in eador,you can effectively use much more unit combo,nearly all of this guys http://www.eador.com/en/page3.html (russian eadoropaedia) may be present in your regular army.
sorry for my poor english,but i try hard :)
Yes, indeed, there are are a lot of troops to choose from. However, I think they are poorly balanced, at least in tier 1 (still haven't reached t2). Militia, slingers and spearmen are obviously cannon fodder, but with better troops available to recruit as quickly as day 2, they're completely useless (well, militia building to unlock basic guards maybe). I can't imagine someone not using order troops - a combo of archers/crossbowmen + swordsmen (pikemen). The 'evil' path sucks. Barbarians could perform well as shock troops, but they pale in comparison with swordsmen (similar attack values, but no survivability). Shamans don't look bad, but are more fragile (vs. xbows) and have lower range (vs. archers). Thieves and bandits are worthless.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
Best way to savescum in eador is to keep the task manager running at all times, and kill the eador process whenever you need to reload.

I do this so I can learn which creatures are what without having to lose my early army over and over. I insist on being able to learn that kind of thing in a game the quick way, rather than paying a hefty in-game price every time I do it.

william blake

Educated
However, I think they are poorly balanced, at least in tier 1 (still haven't reached t2). Militia, slingers and spearmen are obviously cannon fodder
this.exactly cannon fodder.its tier 1-some troops are ready to be veterans,some are not.
I can't imagine someone not using order troops - a combo of archers/crossbowmen + swordsmen (pikemen). The 'evil' path sucks.
try barbarians+healers ;)
if anyone want,i can give link to a VOD,demonstrating one or the other tactics/skills/heroes,or create the VOD myself
and another thing,difficulty level
on higher levels you might be stuck in the lack of money,and expensive (and powerful) troops like swordsmen is not the best idea
simply try to generate random map with minimum "special places"(still not shure about english name of it) ,"expert" difficulty,and try your usual troops and tactics

mondblut

Arcane
Yes, indeed, there are are a lot of troops to choose from. However, I think they are poorly balanced, at least in tier 1 (still haven't reached t2). Militia, slingers and spearmen are obviously cannon fodder, but with better troops available to recruit as quickly as day 2, they're completely useless (well, militia building to unlock basic guards maybe). I can't imagine someone not using order troops - a combo of archers/crossbowmen + swordsmen (pikemen). The 'evil' path sucks. Barbarians could perform well as shock troops, but they pale in comparison with swordsmen (similar attack values, but no survivability). Shamans don't look bad, but are more fragile (vs. xbows) and have lower range (vs. archers). Thieves and bandits are worthless.

Yes, the troops of order are in general better than their chaotic evil counterparts. They are also expensive, and won't like it if you're trigger-happy with raising ghouls and summoning fiends. I like this kind of balance much better than having black and white versions of the same unit.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Game runs like shit unless I close off all other processes, otherwise it's really fun and challenging. Chose a Wizard as my hero, which I'm guessing isn't a good idea for beginners, but whatever. I like that the game uses vancian magic. Anyway, I can see myself playing this game for a loooooong time. I just hope that there are plans on fixing the technical issues.

mondblut

Arcane
I'm accumulating energy on the shard screen. when can I start using it?

When you attack a new shard you can enable some of the previously earned bonuses for energy. Moar jewgoldz, a starting unit or item, an already constructed building, stuff like that. Of course, you've got to find these bonuses on previous shards first.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This game is so fucking good! It's some ungodly Master of Magic / Heroes hybrid. Very glad I bought this and not Warlock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom