Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Russian indie hit Eador: Genesis got an English release

DakaSha

Arcane
And you lose points while doing so.

Screw you, I have a wife and a child on the way, I don't want anything to do with this nonsense.

For a game this long and this hard to plan in which decisions can have very long consequences this is a very bad idea.

You are a fucking imbecile. Your non stop stupid religious bullshit is bad enough but actually complaining that you lose 'points' in a game for essentially cheating is fucked up beyond recognition.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This game is kicking my ass. I don't know how to survive as soon as I meet the enemy province/hero in a shard. They will just remorselessly take all my shit and I don't ever seem quite strong enough to take their provinces.

Also, how do I change my portrait? The one I pick during "Player" in the main menu is never the portrait of my guy in the Shard screen. Worse, no matter which one I pick, my dude always looks like Fire Mage Guy. I hate it!

sher

Educated
This game is kicking my ass. I don't know how to survive as soon as I meet the enemy province/hero in a shard. They will just remorselessly take all my shit and I don't ever seem quite strong enough to take their provinces.

You're just too slow in development since you're learning. Or shard is so small that you're very close to enemies and have no many room for mistakes. Small shards are very unforgiving for beginners.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is on "Skilled".
I tried to follow the advice earlier so all I did was capture provinces as fast as possible. Once I had them all the only way to go was to the enemy. But as soon as I triggered him he just took all my shit and I could never kill a single of his provinces.

Do I need to spend more time grinding exploration events?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I don't know, probably you just suck :codexisfor:

I haven't gone far in the game yet, but I got my ass kicked only once: playing against another god, on a tiny (or small?) map. I had powerful neutrals (harpies, nomads, lizards w/ basilisks) all around me and I couldn't really expand. The enemy struck an alliance with centaurs, so when he arrived at my gates I hadn't the slighest chance.

my advice: get a warrior or ranger (commander and wizard suck as primary heroes in my experience), go for swordsmen/archers/crossbowmen right from the start (build one dwelling on 2nd turn). Expand quickly. Don't waste time on exploration unless you need to recuperate or gain experience for your hero before tackling a tougher province. As soon as you contact another player, start garrisoning your frontiers. Don't shy away from attacking, even if it means losing a few units.

sher

Educated
This is on "Skilled".
I tried to follow the advice earlier so all I did was capture provinces as fast as possible. Once I had them all the only way to go was to the enemy. But as soon as I triggered him he just took all my shit and I could never kill a single of his provinces.

Oh, I see now. My last advice was cryptic It seems :) Locations in provinces are for resources, to make you stronger, to give you loot and experience, not for total 100% exploration of every province on every shard. Your hero is your power, his level and abilities is your power, his equipment is your power, his troops, troops levels, abilities, medals is your power. Other heroes in your team (there is a team of heroes actually) are your power, and state's infrastructure as well. All of this is your power level. And position you're in also has some power level. Your goal is to shift this balance in your favor to increase your power level enough to conquer shard. If you're wasting your time on menial tasks (clearing easy locations instead of more suitable for your turn) - you're crippling your progress and defeat is near. In order to feel right the estimation of your power and position's power you'll have to know what is what and it will come with practice.

Often people just grind locations because it's all new and exciting for them but locations are there for other purposes and all they will get just "oh, another fight, I've seen it before" because it has no meaning for them, because if you're not following the flow the prizes have no meaning (just another 2H sword etc.).

So, of course you can explore locations if your power is low, just try to be on edge or else you'll be behind your opponents. Actually if you can defeat their guards - it's excellent source of exp for you. AI is aggressive, it'll constantly attack your stronghold and you can cripple its army on the way with guards, then finish with your heroes to get xp. Its heroes will stop gain exp and will lose veteran units while your heroes will be stronger with each assault. Adventurers (guard) are strong early - do not waste their contracts.

But if you were too slow and there is too large gap between you, well, then you'll be crushed.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
This is on "Skilled".

If you just captured provinces as fast as possible then you may not have leveled your main hero as much as you could have. I like to clear a fair amount of sites to give my hero a boost in level and get some additional gold. Goblins, undead and brigands close to your main fort are usually reasonable options. It's especially nice if you get some easy revealed sites in your main city.

Expansion is good, but think about it. If you lose 60 gp of units to take a swamp that gives 3 GP per turn, that may not be so helpful. Maybe you could have cleared an easy site and gotten 50 gp and a magic item instead?

If your main hero is substantially weaker than the AI's main hero then you may get slaughtered, so try to avoid wasting turns. I'll second the advice that the warrior and scout are the best main hero choices early on. Get a few levels under their belts and they defeat several normal units per battle.

sher

Educated
For lower difficulties (enemy units have reduced HP instead of normal) Scout->Scout (dedicated archer with double shot) is much easier than other heroes since he can oneshot most creatures right from the start with starting equipment.

Generally, starting heroes (when you don't have economy) are Warrior and Scout. Commander is very powerful but need gold and gems to pay for large army and you must know how to fight, it's more complicated than it seems, only rules are simple and clear. Wizard will need spells. So Commander and Wizard are not starting heroes for beginners.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
This is on "Skilled".

If you just captured provinces as fast as possible then you may not have leveled your main hero as much as you could have. I like to clear a fair amount of sites to give my hero a boost in level and get some additional gold. Goblins, undead and brigands close to your main fort are usually reasonable options. It's especially nice if you get some easy revealed sites in your main city.

Expansion is good, but think about it. If you lose 60 gp of units to take a swamp that gives 3 GP per turn, that may not be so helpful. Maybe you could have cleared an easy site and gotten 50 gp and a magic item instead?

If your main hero is substantially weaker than the AI's main hero then you may get slaughtered, so try to avoid wasting turns. I'll second the advice that the warrior and scout are the best main hero choices early on. Get a few levels under their belts and they defeat several normal units per battle.
Sounds good. I've been capturing provinces much too quickly ('cause I read that if I don't enemies get too strong).

Guess the real key is not too slow, not too fast.

sher

Educated
('cause I read that if I don't enemies get too strong).

Not at all. Key is "don't waste your time, don't lose tempo". You're wasting your time when you're not fighting and when you're fighting too easy fights. When you're fighting too easy fights you're not only wasting your current hero's time but you're stealing exp from your next hero who'll have nothing to fight. But sometimes you have nothing to fight and then you'll have to make hard choice what to do, even exploring provinces to find something to fight.

Usually your heroes after first two will be trained to some decent level in gladiator fights in the arena. Arenas can be found or built later in your stronghold.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
If an enemy hero is starting to steamroll you, one pretty basic defensive "last resort" tactic I successfully applied a couple of times is this: locate the next "chokepoint province" that will get attacked (the AI seems to favor rushing through your territory over flanking via neutral territory) and station your strongest hero there.
Once the enemy hero is adjacent, station the strongest guard unit you have access to in the chokepoint province ("once the enemy is adjacent" just because the more powerful guard units can cost quite some upkeep or have negative effects on the province they are stationed in. You can find some pretty good guard units through exploration on some shards, but the strongest stock guard unit will do in a pinch as well).
When the enemy attacks, defend with the guard unit first.
Depending on the type of guard unit, this will usually kill a good portion of the enemy hero's army. When you choose to defend with your hero after that, the enemy hero usually aborts his attack due to his weakened army. Now you can counter-attack and get momentum back (usually also killing the weakened enemy hero in the process).

At least taking back a good portion of your previously owned territory or killing a second enemy hero should be possible with that "push", leveling the playing field somewhat.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
This game is REALLY, REALLY good.

The last game I purchased on "Codex" recommendation (Realms of Arkania) was horrible so this time I...uh...Tried this game out before committing to a purchase (Yes, I know its only $5, but...I am pretty broke) and OMG. Bought it first thing this afternoon to support the dev.

This game is kinda like HOMM (but not really- In fact, it looks more like HOMM than it actually is) and MOM and idk, Risk? Anyhow, I cannot put my finger on it, it really is its own game and DAMN, what a gem.

Just wanted to say thanks- This is the second really obscure and totally kick ass game I have found via the codex (which I did not already know about) and I can honestly see myself playing this for a long, long time- In fact, my gaming session last night "trialing" this game just seemed to go on and on (I lost track of time) and I barely scratched the surface.

Anyhow, Thanks again. Hell of a good game, maybe the best I have played in years (Idk yet) but easily worth $10 , $20, or more. $5 was a steal.

-And the graphics (thus far) are quite nice. Easy to tell what everything is, clean, not too much going on but whats there is good.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Emily

Arcane
The game is fantastic so far. There is just one problem, it keeps getting harder and harder. Right now i am fighting against expert opponents, and i just lost a game against two competent... So what is the deal with that?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Can this stuff runs in windowed mode? It seems odd that this game insist on full screen when it doesn't look that good.

Lightknight

Liturgist
It seems odd that this game insist on full screen when it doesn't look that good.
It looks great to me, and it's odd because in Russian version its the reverse, windowed is default and full screen via bat.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
The game is fantastic so far. There is just one problem, it keeps getting harder and harder. Right now i am fighting against expert opponents, and i just lost a game against two competent... So what is the deal with that?

If it is getting too hard you can lower the difficulty level in the Astral plane.

Emily

Arcane
I actually managed to beat them with a commander. Tried new tactic opening with barbarians and healers, and rushing to lv2 creatures, shit is heavy.

laclongquan

Arcane
On save/reload tactic

Anyone ever try the "copy savegame to another extension like .bk" trick? When they delete your save you just rename the bk file right back. Since you can play in window mode and all?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom