Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Russian indie hit Eador: Genesis got an English release

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Tags: Eador: Genesis; GOG.com; Snowbird Game Studios

While working on Eador: Masters of the Broken World, Snowbird Games have translated the original Russkie indie hit Eador: Genesis into English and put it on GOG. A review will be forthcoming but I can say safely that it's a very fun oldschool game. Have a trailer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Wow, can't believe this game was created by just a single person. Looks fantastic!
I just decided to get myself a Christmas present early :D

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got this one too it is like Age of Wonders mixed with MM 3 and playing on tactical map which reminds me of Fantasy General and Imperialism, not as excited as for Underrail and AOD cause it is Fantasy shit with Elves and Magic but nonetheless it has solid gameplay for mere 5 jewgold. :thumbsup:

Repressed Homosexual
Installing this now, it looks good, and incredibly deep and long too, according to the Russian posters on GOG.

Is Eador next going to be released DRM free too?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's incredibly long. A single map (or shard) can take ages and the game just keeps throwing these at you. I love how the game pokes fun at itself and the player at times. The gremlin who acts as your advisor is especially a hoot. You for instance command heroes, whom he identifies as schizophrenics who listen to the voices in their head. The game is also highly addictive and keeps things fresh by constantly adding something new. Be that a new building, unit, a new other master or some bit of story. It also has some very defenite c&c.

All in all I'm impressed. It's very much a labour of love by the guy who made it. Does it have negatives? Ofcourse. AI cheats like a mofo, some might argue the abundance of shards is akin to a grind, some hero builds are much easier than others, shards look very much alike and production values are obviously not high.

If Eador: Masters of the Broken World is almost as good/as good/better than Eador: Genesis then we're in for a treat.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wow, this looks interesting. I have to echo Maxson's question here. This is something I almost just want to buy and try without reading any further opinions but hey.
What's the translation like? Russian-to-English translations are usually dreadful so I'd like to hear about it.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
So any good? How does it compare to classics? Like MoM, or Heroes?
I've only played for a short while, but I safely say it kicks ass. Finally a deep strategy game with literally load of options. It ain't MoM though, nothing is. The only problem I have with the game is lack of any saving options - it's like in roguelikes, you save when you exit. shame.

Wow, this looks interesting. I have to echo Maxson's question here. This is something I almost just want to buy and try without reading any further opinions but hey.
What's the translation like? Russian-to-English translations are usually dreadful so I'd like to hear about it.

so far, it isn't bad. A couple of small errors (like 'a' where there shouldn't be), but nothing grating.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Instant buy.

I had given up all hope of this getting translated, so thanks for the info.

The non-lazy among us should spread the word to other forums!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So any good? How does it compare to classics? Like MoM, or Heroes?

Very fun and addicting. It's defenitely not MoM though. That plays like a fantasy civ game and this one has both a turn-based strategy part in which you conquer and rule provinces and turn-based battles. There's also an overarching strategy part in which you plan which world or shard to invade next. Very different play mechanics.

Surprisingly decent. I didn't notice anything bad but then again, I'm not a native English speaker.

it's like in roguelikes, you save when you exit. shame.

I actually like it. The game basically defaults to ironman. And yes, that means you can fuck up rather badly. Even messing up the overall campaign. Which ties into the myriad of different endings.

From the video I thought it was a carbon-copy of HoMM, how is it different?

Apart from the turn-based battles there are rather different mechanics in play. Provinces, rpg aspects, diplomacy and a fuckload of random events.

hoverdog

Developer

I actually like it. The game basically defaults to ironman. And yes, that means you can fuck up rather badly. Even messing up the overall campaign. Which ties into the myriad of different endings.
The problem, at least for me, is not that it's sort of ironman challenge, but because I cannot lead two campaigns or single player games at the same time. I like to have a few ongoing games that I switch around, and it's certainly impossible here.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

The problem, at least for me, is not that it's sort of ironman challenge, but because I cannot lead two campaigns or single player games at the same time. I like to have a few ongoing games that I switch around, and it's certainly impossible here.

Good point. I never do that so it didn't irk me. Will mention in review.

Adrageron

Novice
You can create new user profile (first option in the main menu) and run different campaigns, single games, etc.

You can create new user profile (first option in the main menu) and run different campaigns, single games, etc.

True, so that complaint is invalid, so don't put wrong info in your review Trash. :D

hoverdog

Developer
So I've cleared the whole first map in the campaign, attacked the enemy's fortress, and what? TEN FUCKING SWORDSMEN???? :rage:

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Have several 'stacks' ready for the final assault. Even a zero level hero with some low end troops is worth it if he kills at least a few enemy troops. Wear the garrison down et voila.

And that final fortress can have very different amounts of troops stationed. The one in the 'tutorial' map is always ridiculously big. My last one was on a very hard fought map and apparantly the AI only had enough to spare to have some peasants as a garrison.

True, so that complaint is invalid, so don't put wrong info in your review Trash. :D

I will however comment on how obscure creating and choosing between several profiles is. :)

PS: If any of you run into heavy lag start disabling other programs. Eador is iffy in that aspect and shit like steam, virusscanners or even several open tabs can grind it to a halt.

hoverdog

Developer
Have several 'stacks' ready for the final assault. Even a zero level hero with some low end troops is worth it if he kills at least a few enemy troops. Wear the garrison down et voila.

And that final fortress can have very different amounts of troops stationed. The one in the 'tutorial' map is always ridiculously big. My last one was on a very hard fought map and apparantly the AI only had enough to spare to have some peasants as a garrison.
How do you recruit additional heroes in the first mission? :oops:

mondblut

Arcane
I had no problems clearing them out in one go :smug: A warrior in decent (and freshly repaired!) equipment and a retinue of bowmen (or elves if you can get some) will do an easy work out of any number of swordsmen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom