Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RYSE of the no-QTE QTEs

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
See guys? Games journalism can also be objective and non-biased!
Honestly, I'm really suprised that Microsoft and Sony are getting beat down so badly on their console's release...

I hear Sharks know when there is blood and know when to sink their teeth in.

Sony and Microsoft are weak. They are in a tough spot. The journalists know this and have not forgotten their past sins.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The review from Kotaku is in:
http://kotaku.com/ryse-son-of-rome-the-kotaku-review-1468780085

Obvioulsy they suck it up, despite the awful combat system. Because it looks pretty, and the combat is visceral. I just hate this kind of attitude. Before the game was released, we saw that the combat is a QTE fest, and even journalists said that it looks bad. But now, when they should man up and call out the game for what it is, they say that it is not that bad, it is good even, and the great graphics make up for its problems. Fuck modern game journalizm.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
bXgkSui.jpg

:M

Who the fuck allows these type of assholes to review games and why, what the fuck does this have to do with the quality of the game (which is likely shit anyway)?

Bonus:
zq0uDiG.png

Agree, what a stupid reasons to not like those games.Here is how it should be:
LV8c9jc.gif

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
bXgkSui.jpg

:M

Who the fuck allows these type of assholes to review games and why, what the fuck does this have to do with the quality of the game (which is likely shit anyway)
Ah, so story in a game isn't worth critiquing anymore?

titus

Arcane
Patron
IGN 6.8/10

Gamespot 4/10

Eurogamer 5/10

Polygon 6/10

Destructoid 5/10

EGM 7.5/10

Uh-oh....

See guys? Games journalism can also be objective and non-biased!

They didn't get enough Doritos...

The review from Kotaku is in:
http://kotaku.com/ryse-son-of-rome-the-kotaku-review-1468780085

Obvioulsy they suck it up, despite the awful combat system. Because it looks pretty, and the combat is visceral. I just hate this kind of attitude. Before the game was released, we saw that the combat is a QTE fest, and even journalists said that it looks bad. But now, when they should man up and call out the game for what it is, they say that it is not that bad, it is good even, and the great graphics make up for its problems. Fuck modern game journalizm.

See? These guys saw the glass as half full.

:kingcomrade:

Does anyone actually complains that the combat moves are retarded and totally non "roman like"?

Dexter

Arcane
I kind of like that the review mentions historical context.
What does SJW bullshit have to do with "historical context"? First, what they are saying is wrong and looked at through todays prism of social policies.
Second, what they are saying is also wrong in the form that they are apparently usually complaining about games not including such characters, but when they do they better be in respectable roles. Can't have them have any negative attributes or *gasp* be a villain (Witcher 2 actually also did this).
Thirdly, I'm guessing that they are also likely getting it contextually wrong as so very often (for instance, what does "heavily implied" mean?), but without having played the game I can't really tell.

I'm sure there are dozens upon dozens of reasons to critique the game for (mechanically, storywise and actual historical inaccuracies abound) without resorting to judging the "morals of the story" since it isn't intended as a children's book.
As Oscar Wilde put it over a century ago:
"There is no such thing as a moral book or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. That is all."

It makes these kind of reviews even more worthless than they usually would be:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/leisure-suit-larry-reloaded
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/killer-is-dead
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/gone-home
Since they are scoring how well games apparently line up with their own personal societal values now, which has nothing to do with the inherent qualities or flaws of said products.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
Second, what they are saying is also wrong in the form that they are apparently usually complaining about games not including such characters, but when they do they better be in respectable roles. Can't have them have any negative attributes or *gasp* be a villain (Witcher 2 actually also did this).

I don't think that in this case the problem is with the villain incidentally being gay, but rather the depiction of "gay traits" (whatever they are) as despicable and debased.
But what do I know - I haven't played the game and never will.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
What does SJW bullshit have to do with "historical context"? First, what they are saying is wrong and looked at through todays prism of social policies.
Thirdly, I'm guessing that they are also likely getting it contextually wrong as so very often (for instance, what does "heavily implied" mean?), but without having played the game I can't really tell.

I'm sure there are dozens upon dozens of reasons to critique the game for (mechanically, storywise and actual historical inaccuracies abound) without resorting to judging the "morals of the story" since it isn't intended as a children's book.
As Oscar Wilde put it over a century ago:
"There is no such thing as a moral book or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. That is all."

It makes these kind of reviews even more worthless than they usually would be:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/leisure-suit-larry-reloaded
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/killer-is-dead
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/gone-home
Since they are scoring how well games apparently line up with their own personal societal values now, which has nothing to do with the inherent qualities or flaws of said products.
Oscar Wilde was wrong.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So sad. Xbox One doesnt have a good launch title. Plz buy our conzol so you can talk to it, we know you dont have friends.

Oh, why the fuck are people reading Polygon? Those guys are not gamers. Even if they pretend to be. Id rather read Gamespot than their POS site.

DraQ

Arcane
What does SJW bullshit have to do with "historical context"?
The beginning of the second column.
The article as a whole reeks of pctardation, but it acknowledges that there might be grounds for going "durr wimin" in an ancient Rome game but only if you don't also go "durr faggets" as well.
Given that quite a lot of people would go butthurt about inability to play as black woman knight in a game set in medieval Europe I say it's a step in right direction.
Bashing shitty game for being shitty is also a win.

Shitty dudebro story is shitty. Morals or not.
Problem?

kris

Arcane
I saw that "gameplay" trailer and I am not entirerly sure this should be counted as a game. i would not even consider downloading this.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The beginning of the second column.

Well that is pretty much no true "homosexuality being a common and accepted extension of male sexuality — not something that the citizenry would be driven to mock."

Not only that there was not such thing as "homosexuality" ,but been called to be on the passive side was high offense among romans.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, the ancient Romans didn't really have the same notions towards sexuality as contemporary society. For the most part, all that particularly mattered in a sexual relationship was whether or not you were on top or bottom. Although that is simplifying it alot, as it did get a bit more complicated when you took shit like age and, um, mentoring into account.

Behelit

Augur
As a fan of the setting, and an admirer of the artistic aesthetic, I'm enjoying a Lets Play. Even though you can't fail QTE's, they are optional but of course you won't reap the bonuses from performing the same execution again & again. The Achilles heel was lack of diversity. It needed different weapon sets besides the sword and board, more enemy types besides four and if you're going to have photorealitstic graphics, more "faces", hell take the same face and change up the paint. Don't remove the executions but make them less frequent, have it be a reward when reaching a combo multiplier like in Arkham City. Splashing our face with awesome sauce feels fantastic for the first hour but it quickly desensitizes you, clearly catered to ADD children (despite its rating). Despite the shallow gameplay and corny storytelling, if I had an Xbox One I would rent this out as mental junk food.

By the way, whats with people saying how "Unrealistic" it is? Did Crytek ever hype this game to be historically accurate?

Faggots at 19:35

helpimarock

Novice
There's an exploding barrel in that video. :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom