Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RYSE of the no-QTE QTEs

why are you even watching it?

Dr Tomo

Learned
By the way, whats with people saying how "Unrealistic" it is? Did Crytek ever hype this game to be historically accurate?

I agree, not sure why people on the Codex are complaining about realism in a Rome era game. To be honest I am impressed by the video enough that I feel like I should pick up the xbone Xbox One and Ryse. But before I do, curious to know, what kind of force powers you are able to use in the game? Also, am I going to end up at my plantation and see my crucified wife/son and later have to kill the emperor in a 1 v 1 gladiator fight with combat penalities for being stabbed prior to the fight?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Its pretty. Shame the millions of euros wasted on a repetitive hach 'n slasher with microtransactions.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
The beginning of the second column.

Well that is pretty much no true "homosexuality being a common and accepted extension of male sexuality — not something that the citizenry would be driven to mock."

Not only that there was not such thing as "homosexuality" ,but been called to be on the passive side was high offense among romans.
Someone should tell the writer about what catamites are.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Doesn't matter. They included them in a $60 game. Just that they exist is a slap in the face to everyone that bought the game for the full price and shows lack of respect toward its costumers.

How gladly people accept being raped in the ass and doing it with a smile is fucking amazing. "Oh, its not that bad". :roll:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Doesn't matter. They included them in a $60 game. Just that they exist is a slap in the face to everyone that bought the game for the full price and shows lack of respect toward its costumers.

Unfortunately consumers have accepted it before, even praised it in games like Mass Effect 3, so I doubt the trend will stop.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The microtransactions are basically irrelevent to the single-player
Doesn't matter. Even is someone doesn't use microtransactions, every game that use these, are designed with microtransactions kept in mind. Forza 5 has a very sloooooow progression system, so it encoureages the use of boosters, bought by microtransaction. Of course you are not forced to use them, but good luck playing the game for 500h to unlock the best cars. I bet Ryse has some similar design.

nil

Cipher
I hate both progression systems and microtransactions, but saying microtransactions always influence design is just not true.
The design is already fucked up by the progression system that locks content behind playtime. If they allow you to pay to skip the nessecary time investment that's in no way worse than needing time to unlock stuff in the first place. (Battlefield 3 did it months (a year?) after release)
The problem is when they lengthen the grind to encourage you to spend money, but that is not always the case and not a guaranteed consequence of the system.

Also, Dead Space 3 had microtransactions in singleplayer. You could buy resources, but unless you wasted them, you had all you needed and things were pretty balanced. It was basically pay-to-cheat.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Angry Joe got bored and gave up with less than one hour of playing time. I think Crytek failed in getting the dudebros as well.:lol:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Doesn't matter. Even is someone doesn't use microtransactions, every game that use these, are designed with microtransactions kept in mind. Forza 5 has a very sloooooow progression system, so it encoureages the use of boosters, bought by microtransaction. Of course you are not forced to use them, but good luck playing the game for 500h to unlock the best cars. I bet Ryse has some similar design.

Solution
Hire a chink to unlock the cars for you for 50 pounds.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Just you wait. What do you think it will happen in a year or so? Will they remove the microtransactions or shove it in your face with every new game thats released? i wonder i wonder...

Telengard

Arcane
There are many ways that microtransactions can affect gameplay - the grind is just the most obvious because it is so obnoxious.

For instance, you've got your dudebro shooter, which now has to balance the dudebroing, shoot-some, shoot-some, dudebroing, repeat, formula with this new game element: Hey, you can be more AWESHUM! Insert coin here to be more dudebroey, here to be more shoot-some! - So, developers now have to balance these ads with the rest of the game. How often do advertisements appear? How aggressive are the ads? In what manner do they appear, so that they don't break the all-important immersion? What can be bought, and when? For how much money? How much time do the developers have to devote to designing, building, and making all this work that they could have devoted to making gameplay?

Including microtransaactions also encourages AWESHUM elements to be placed in the game earlier than they would otherwise be, so that costumers can see something early on when they're still really weak that will make them way more AWESHUM, and thus be more tempted to buy it, because of the larger power difference. Their use also discourages the hiding of AWESHUM weapons in hidden areas in the early parts of the game to reward explorring players, since if players can do that, it would mean the pay weapon wouldn't be worth it. So, the reward for exploration gets reduced, the reward for having a large wallet is increased, and the curiosity about what the game holds in store for you in the future is largely removed (since you can see what it holds for you in the store).

Microtransactions also encourage the inclusion of enemy designs such as Elite Monster X, who is tough to beat, unless you have AWESHUM WEAPON X (buyable now in store!). Which is not in and off itself a huge thing, but since it encourages that behavior, one can end up with a game that has Elite Monsters X, Y, Z, AA, BB, CC...all of which have their own dedicated AWESHUM defeat weapon. That, instead of enemies that are defeated through increasing player skill or better tactics.

And that's just the beginning of what microtransactions can do to a game.

DeepOcean

Arcane

I repeat: It's not. It MAY be so in multiplayer (I think there are a couple of DLC skins), in which case it's just as bad as the other examples listed, but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of the game's core SP experience being designed with microtransactions in mind.

How gladly people accept being raped in the ass and doing it with a smile is fucking amazing. "Oh, its not that bad". :roll:

If superfluous XP microtransactions constitute being "raped in the ass", sure.
Being raped in the ass is already happening, Rome Total War 2 has a DLC that adds blood, Metro Last Light has a difficulty level as DLC. The only reason Microsoft and company didn't gone full retard yet in microtransations is the fear of a huge backlash. If depended on them, you would pay 60 dollars for the right of playing their game and more 60 dollars for each chapter, 60 more for hard difficulty, buy each gun separately and advertising brakes for Mountain Dew and MacDonalds.

Behelit

Augur
There are many ways that microtransactions can affect gameplay - the grind is just the most obvious because it is so obnoxious.

For instance, you've got your dudebro shooter, which now has to balance the dudebroing, shoot-some, shoot-some, dudebroing, repeat, formula with this new game element: Hey, you can be more AWESHUM! Insert coin here to be more dudebroey, here to be more shoot-some! - So, developers now have to balance these ads with the rest of the game. How often do advertisements appear? How aggressive are the ads? In what manner do they appear, so that they don't break the all-important immersion? What can be bought, and when? For how much money? How much time do the developers have to devote to designing, building, and making all this work that they could have devoted to making gameplay?

Including microtransaactions also encourages AWESHUM elements to be placed in the game earlier than they would otherwise be, so that costumers can see something early on when they're still really weak that will make them way more AWESHUM, and thus be more tempted to buy it, because of the larger power difference. Their use also discourages the hiding of AWESHUM weapons in hidden areas in the early parts of the game to reward explorring players, since if players can do that, it would mean the pay weapon wouldn't be worth it. So, the reward for exploration gets reduced, the reward for having a large wallet is increased, and the curiosity about what the game holds in store for you in the future is largely removed (since you can see what it holds for you in the store).

Microtransactions also encourage the inclusion of enemy designs such as Elite Monster X, who is tough to beat, unless you have AWESHUM WEAPON X (buyable now in store!). Which is not in and off itself a huge thing, but since it encourages that behavior, one can end up with a game that has Elite Monsters X, Y, Z, AA, BB, CC...all of which have their own dedicated AWESHUM defeat weapon. That, instead of enemies that are defeated through increasing player skill or better tactics.

And that's just the beginning of what microtransactions can do to a game.

Dear Santa......

Crash the gaming industry.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-07-xbox-one-launch-title-ryse-son-of-rome-announced-for-pc

Xbox One launch title Ryse: Son of Rome launches on PC later this year, developer Crytek has announced.

Crytek will self-publish the digital version of the gory action game. Publisher Deep Silver will distribute a boxed version.

The PC release supports 4K resolution and includes all Ryse DLC packs that have released since the game's launch on Xbox One in November 2013.

The DLC includes the Colosseum Pack, the Mars' Chosen Pack, the Duel of Fates Pack and the Morituri Pack. The PC version also grants instant access to the Ruins multiplayer map and the Legionnaire's Trust sword, which were initially bundled with the special edition of the game.

"4K gaming is another leap in graphics quality for PC gamers and Ryse is the perfect showcase for what's now possible in high-end PC games," Crytek business development chief Carl Jones said.

"We've given our team the opportunity to show what CryEngine can really achieve, without compromising quality, thanks to the incredible hardware available now to PC gamers. Ryse will be a benchmark PC graphics showcase this year and probably for a long time in future. Our community asked for a Ryse PC version, and we have the means and technology to deliver this title with the highest quality possible."

German company Crytek recently suffered financial problems but appears to have stabilised following the sale of the Homefront IP and Crytek UK to Deep Silver. Ryse on PC is one of four Crytek games in development, the others being Hunt, Arena of Fate and Warface.

A deal for Ryse 2 was in the works with publisher Microsoft, but it collapsed after Crytek refused to grant Microsoft the rights to the franchise.

Screenshots of the PC version are below.

186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100
186x100

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom