Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Alphons

Cipher
Supposedly all recasts

the-new-cast-of-ishin-vs-the-old-cast-v0-f64r6o4ustn91.png

vota DC

Augur
So we will be getting 8,Ishin,Gaiden,Judgement and Lost Judgement?

ezgif-com-gif-maker-3.gif

Now if they could also port Fist of the North Star :Lost Paradise
gay.png
gay.png
gay.png
gay.png
gay.png

P.S. That Kiryu picture from 8 does look like shit,he looks fine in Gaiden,what happened to him?
In 2023 maybe. Hokuto no Ken will have 40 years. They could make a new game as well.
Also you have 708 pressure points to hit: a keyboard and a mouse would help.

Deflowerer

Arcane
I also just want to kek at the idea of remaking Ishin, a game that came out like 5 years ago. Can't wait for Yakuza 6 Kiwami! Or Yakuza 0 Kiwami! Judgement Kiwami is going to be based!!

The remakes were made in order to re-launch the series in the West, they didn't give a fuck about Japan as the target market for those. Same reason why Ishin is getting this treatment, in this case it's even a game which was never released in English before.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
D-d-d-don't be happy you get to play Japanese games guys!

Are you serious? We get Ishin localized and it's some dogshit Dragon Engine demake like Kiwami 2? Oh, wait, it's not even the Dragon Engine, it's Unreal Engine, so it's gonna be even more of a disaster. Why not just port the original game that ran on the 0 engine? So they can cram in more shitty asset flip minigames? What a joke. If this game is anything like Kiwami 2, it's going to completely destroy the controls and pacing of the original game. They've already made casting changes, and I bet there'll be music changes too. I wanted to play Ishin, not some budget asset-flip garbage that RGG Studio shit out with no effort or care like the Kiwami games. And that's what this is: Ishin Kiwami. That's literally the Japanese title, which was removed for the western release, which definitely means that we will NEVER get the original Ishin localized, ever - or even released on new consoles. It'll rot on the PS3 just like Yakuza 1 and 2 are rotting on the PS2.

I thought you fags in this thread would be more knowledgeable about this, yet I come in and see you CELEBRATING it like all of the Reddit Zerobabies who think that the Kiwami games are good.

FUCK these announcements. The only good news is Judgement/Judge Eyes on PC. Otherwise? Secret agent Kiryu, another gay JRPG in a main series of fucking BEAT-EM-UPS, and a piece of shit demake of a game that westerners will never get to play? :decline::keepmymoney::decline:
Yakuza is fucking SHIT now

No, we should just fuckin whine endlessly and never get to play the games so we can earn brownie points with some literal nobody.
Just in case it wasn't obvious, moron, localizing text strings would take significantly less effort than porting the game over to another engine and adding a bunch of things, regardless of if we find the things to be of value or not.

Here, for your convenience, so that you understand how this worked:

image.png

What this means is that SEGA didn't deem these games worthy of being released to the west WITHOUT a remake. Without the one, we wouldn't have the other. I've seen no one here praising the Kiwami 2 remake, people just want to play some fucking Yakuza.

Now, shut the FUCK up and let people be glad they get to play games they otherwise wouldn't for once, you whiny bitch.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Also this remake is not even close to the way they remade 1 and 2. It's much much closer to the actual game, might as well be called enhanced remaster with some changes.

Move to Unreal was probably made so that they could allow their teams to get experience with Unreal relatively risk-free as without a doubt they will abandon Dragon Engine eventually and I doubt they will invest in an in-house engine again.

Silentstorm

Learned
Why the fuck is Like a Dragon 8 releasing on PS4 in 2024? That'll be 11 year old hardware at that point.
Most developers are still doing this because the PS5 shortage never ends, doesn't help that Sony just increased the price of PS5's and Xbox...well, it's not big in Japan.

The only multiplatform game announced that isn't cross gen is Tekken 8, that one is only for PS5, Xbox Series and PC, and everyone was shocked by that move, to a point where Bandai Namco made a post on Twitter basically joking about the reactions people had.

I guess Bamco expects the situation to vastly change by the time Tekken 8 comes out...or for people over the following years to abandon the PS4 and Xbox One while Sega has little faith in that happening by 2024.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Just in case it wasn't obvious, moron, localizing text strings would take significantly less effort than porting the game over to another engine and adding a bunch of things, regardless of if we find the things to be of value or not.
Yes, that's the incredible thing. They could have spent less effort in delivering us the actual polished game. Instead, they'll spend more effort on a shitty asset-flip demake. The lack of efficiency and common sense is frankly astounding.
What this means is that SEGA didn't deem these games worthy of being released to the west WITHOUT a remake.
OK? Then Sega is retarded. "This game is a whole EIGHT YEARS OLD, sirry gaijin won't stand for this no no!!" And even if this remake is only for western players, as has been claimed, this will still be the version of the game that gets released from now on, in ALL regions. So even Japan is getting shafted. The original game will fade away and we'll have to sit through hours of Samurai Tower Defense to even get a glimpse of the original game until PS4 emulation is viable.
I've seen no one here praising the Kiwami 2 remake, people just want to play some fucking Yakuza.
Play a good game instead of a shitty asset-flip. Have some standards. The original Yakuza 2 is easy to emulate. The only reason to play the Kiwami games is if you're some faggy trend-chaser who got into the series through Reddit memes.
L-let people enjoy things!!
You can slurp up this drivel if you want, but for me, :keepmymoney:

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Wow, that UI in combat is fucking tacky. Is all that flaming bullshit on the left really necessary? And they're putting the health bars on the enemies head instead of the classic beat-em-up lower-right health bar - I can't stand that shit. It's so bad looking, and I don't know why they've done it in every game after 6.

That being said, this isn't as bad as I expected. The movement is lacking that Rockstar game-esque "procedural movement" bullshit like the Dragon Engine games had. It looks like Yakuza 0 movement, pretty much. That, plus the lack of ragdoll physics on enemies in combat, makes me think that they're reusing a lot of the code from the original game. If all that's wrong with it so far is some casting changes and an ugly UI, then perhaps my rant from earlier was somewhat off the mark. This is still pretty clearly an inferior version of the game, though. And it remains to be seen if the combat is as smooth as in the original - it's hard to tell from this bullshit IGN gameplay. I've never played the original but I've heard that it has some of the smoothest and best-feeling combat in the series. My expectations are dirt low and I fully expect it to be borked.

Häyhä

Arbiter
You've NEVER even played the original, yet you are already bitching and moaning about the remake, because you "heard" it has the best combat, lol are you for real?

:retarded:

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
You've NEVER even played the original, yet you are already bitching and moaning about the remake, because you "heard" it has the best combat, lol are you for real?

Yeah, I should just suck it all up like a normalfaggot, as if the last remake didn't have dogshit combat. I guess I can't expect any better from JRPG niggers.

I played 0 and was interested in the story but I sucked hard at the action combat, so the rest of the franchise is a no-go for me. I was interested in the turn based game but I heard it was really halfbaked. Hearing that they're making a sequel to the turn-based game makes me interested in trying out the new series. Hopefully whatever problems with the first game are worked out.

Häyhä

Arbiter

Yeah, I should just suck it all up like a normalfaggot, as if the last remake didn't have dogshit combat. I guess I can't expect any better from JRPG niggers.

Woah, we got a real tough guy here throwing big edgy words trying to impress The Codex. :-D

Judging by the chimp-out, you're the "nigger" here. Don't worry, I see in my crystal ball a "dumbfuck" title in the near future for you. In the mean time, try to actually play a Yakuza game before spewing dumb shit all over the thread.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I played 0 and was interested in the story but I sucked hard at the action combat, so the rest of the franchise is a no-go for me. I was interested in the turn based game but I heard it was really halfbaked. Hearing that they're making a sequel to the turn-based game makes me interested in trying out the new series. Hopefully whatever problems with the first game are worked out.
Whoever told you that Y7 is half baked is a fucking idiot. It's arguably the best game in the franchise

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So now the excitement of the sudden release has died down a bit, how's everyone finding Judgment? I bought it as one of my first purchases when got a Series X and bounced off it around hour 15 or so. Jumped back in after reading this thread and up to 25 hours and Chapter 5 now but can't help but feel a little disappointed.

No spoilers, but it's a lot of running back and forth with trash combat, cutscenes, sprinkled with the tailing mini-game and the odd 'mouse over hotspots' scene. There's only been one real set-piece mission so far, the mini games are good as usual but I'm missing karaoke and I feel like I've played them all before. The investigations all seem on rails and require no real thought. The fights are a pushover (on Hard ofc), apart from when it's a boss and he charges up with the unblockable mortal strike attacks, which are as much about fighting the camera as anything. Not really loving the characters compared to Ichiban and his crew.

Frankly, I'm finding it a tad.... boring. Not been long since I put 100+ hours into LaD and I feel this compares very unfavourably so far.

Ivan

Arcane
Thanks for sharing, I'm curious to hear HoboForEternity 's thoughts. I'm pretty sure I'll buy the bundle, just gotta tie up a few other games on my plate first (finished Disco Elysium, and I have Death Stranding next, my first strand type game!).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks for sharing, I'm curious to hear HoboForEternity 's thoughts. I'm pretty sure I'll buy the bundle, just gotta tie up a few other games on my plate first (finished Disco Elysium, and I have Death Stranding next, my first strand type game!).
probably won't be soon. at least after some amount of discount, i am pretty excited tho. my friend shill about judgement a lot

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
I'm missing karaoke
My biggest gripe, along with tailing segments not being very fun. Other than that I'm enjoying myself, it's still the same old formula (which I happen to like a lot). A small thing I found really neat is that the side content is a bit more interwoven than usual - like if you befriend character A he later helps you with side case B, or if you get a suit from befriending Le Marche clerk you later wear it on a date. As I said those are mostly small details, but it makes the world feel more alive.

Modron

Arcane
30 hours in and 66.6% completion...
and only in chapter 3, although this might be the first one I don't 100% because they included regular shogi instead of just puzzle shogi in the completion list for the first time :despair:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom