Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Ivan

Arcane
3 makes up for its combat w/SOUL though <3

Lyre Mors

Arcane
3 has some of the best combat in the series simply because it's one of the few games to actually pose a challenge on Hard. Beyond that, there's something charming about the slightly more clunky controls and animations.

Yakuza 3 remains on the top of my list of RGG games, with the combat and challenge being among the reasons why.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The setting is also refreshing. I generally don't like summery environments, but I really enjoyed Y3.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played a few chapters of Y3, enjoying it for the moment.

Boss fights are definitely the hardest out of the Yakuza games I've played so far.

bucktoothgamer

Literate
3 has some of the best combat in the series simply because it's one of the few games to actually pose a challenge on Hard. Beyond that, there's something charming about the slightly more clunky controls and animations.

Yakuza 3 remains on the top of my list of RGG games, with the combat and challenge being among the reasons why.
How's your opinion on 3s combat compared to 4? I thought 4 was miles better on combat despite still having that clunky feel. I cant comment on 5 as I havent played it yet.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

How's your opinion on 3s combat compared to 4? I thought 4 was miles better on combat despite still having that clunky feel. I cant comment on 5 as I havent played it yet.
I dunno what they did to the difficulty in 4. I don't think 4 changed much in terms of the basics other than bringing blocking down a notch. Thing was easy as fuck though. Also 4 Saejima> 5 Saejima.

bucktoothgamer

Literate
I only played the ps4 remastered version, but I think most of 3's difficulty came from 1. Enemies on autoblock 2. The distance of Kiryus side dodge was fucked beyond repair.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I only played the ps4 remastered version, but I think most of 3's difficulty came from 1. Enemies on autoblock 2. The distance of Kiryus side dodge was fucked beyond repair.

I gather the dodge distance is a bug in the remaster from the increased 60 fps cap.

There are mods on PC that fix that.

Modron

Arcane

I gather the dodge distance is a bug in the remaster from the increased 60 fps cap.

Enemy rates of autoblocking is doubled due to the increased fps cap as well if I recall correctly.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

Enemy rates of autoblocking is doubled due to the increased fps cap as well if I recall correctly.

I'd noticed enemies block a lot more, but then I'd heard Y3 has a reputation for the combat being block heavy as is.

I've generally been relying on using quickstep to get behind enemies to counter this.

I did the Chapter 6 fight against Kanda last night. Had to use a health item about 3/4 through the fight, but wasn't too bad overall. I found the first "proper" boss fight against Tamashiro in Okinawa a lot harder.

bucktoothgamer

Literate
I think the Tamashiro fight definitely frontloads the games difficulty a bit. Imo none of the other games boss fights felt as broken

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
ass.png

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Finished Yakuza 3. It was a bit jarring going from Kiwami 2 to Y3 in terms of production values etc, but the story and gameplay were good and that's the important thing.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it has certainly had the most challenging boss fights of the games I've played so far.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finished Yakuza 3. It was a bit jarring going from Kiwami 2 to Y3 in terms of production values etc, but the story and gameplay were good and that's the important thing.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it has certainly had the most challenging boss fights of the games I've played so far.
Also has what is probably the most emotional bit of voice acting for Kiryu. Dude ain't topped that scene.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Since my last post in this thread, I've completed Yakuza 4 and 5.

Y4 - Didn't really enjoy Tanimura's section, but I enjoyed the game overall. I thought the pacing was rather uneven however and some sections dragged. Fuck fighting Saito as a low-level Saejima. Akiyama was a really fun new character and I can see why he became a fan favourite.

Y5 - Had some similar pacing issues to Y4, though I appreciated that each character got a decent chunk of playtime. I thought Saejima's prison section was overly long. Akiyama's section also felt kinda rushed/half ass and should have been longer. Wasn't a huge fan of Shinada in either story or combat style, felt a bit tacked on.

Currently playing Y6 and I can see why people say it has the best (if also the fewest) substories. I don't mind protag switches but it's quite refreshing to play as Kiryu again for a whole game rather than switching.

Alphons

Cipher
Y5 - Had some similar pacing issues to Y4, though I appreciated that each character got a decent chunk of playtime. I thought Saejima's prison section was overly long. Akiyama's section also felt kinda rushed/half ass and should have been longer. Wasn't a huge fan of Shinada in either story or combat style, felt a bit tacked on.

What did you think about Haruka's section and side story?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

What did you think about Haruka's section and side story?

I actually thought Haruka's story was quite refreshing. Though I did appreciate they made all the mandatory sections super easy if you wanted to skip through.

Side stories were mostly okay, though I hated aiming in Saejima's hunting section with the controller.

Last edited:

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Also has what is probably the most emotional bit of voice acting for Kiryu. Dude ain't topped that scene.
Too bad the reason for the death in that scene is completely retarded. Kiryu might as well have put the gun in that guy's hand himself with how negligent he was.

Well well well, here the 10 new hostesses for the next yakuza.

They spend so much advertising effort on what is invariably the WORST FUCKING PART of ANY given Yakuza game. But I guess every Japanese game has got to have some dating sim shit in it, even and especially when it has no place. Kiryu had to act completely out of character whenever he wandered into a game's latest coom minigame; I haven't played any game past 6 but I doubt it's any different there.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Too bad the reason for the death in that scene is completely retarded. Kiryu might as well have put the gun in that guy's hand himself with how negligent he was
Oh yeah. It's like melee monsters are incapable of comprehending gun safety principles.
Hmmm...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom