Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Abu Antar, Dec 6, 2014.

1. iZerw Arcane

iZerw
    So I've finished 1,2 and 0 on after another. Had a blast. Should I play Like a Dragon or wait for 3,5,6. I want to avoid spoilers.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jugashvili 管官的官 Patron

Jugashvili
    Codex 2013
    Play Like a Dragon if you haven't yet. It's very good and you'll get most of the references with what you've played so far. One full playthrough should keep you entertained for 100 or so hours and by the time you're done you'll have the other games on PC. Best deal!

• incline incline x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. iZerw Arcane

iZerw
    But is not the story in Like a Dradone is happening after the events of the first six games?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jugashvili 管官的官 Patron

Jugashvili
    Codex 2013
    Yes, but it's an entirely new storyline that is not part of the Kiryu saga.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    This is objectively best vtuber.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Doggy Doggy x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    It's her birthday today.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Someone has issues Someone has issues x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Finished 7. There was some strange bug though in the end, screen got all blurry and stuff. Weird.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Fishy Savant

Fishy
    That was your tears.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Ialda Educated

Ialda
    Best war criminal, you mean.

^ Top  
  10. Maxie Guest

Maxie
    Christ does it get tedious to fight Majima over and over again in YK1, he's fucking everywhere and takes ages to fall (even moreso since he started appearing in the mad dog style and i don't have the technique required to block his hp regen)
    Y0 spoiled me I think, YK1 just isn't that fun to play, Mesuking and Little Circuit are probably the only things keeping me relatively invested
    I was tempted to just unlock Tiger Drop and steamroll the endgame but it takes thousands of arena points which I'm so unwilling to farm lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    [​IMG]

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Alphons Savant

Alphons
    Finished entire Kiwami 2 (completion list+Legend).

Now that I'm finished with 0 and Kiwamis should I go for 7 or wait for 3-6?

• Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. Fishy Savant

Fishy
    Before 3-6 were announced, I'd have told you to go for 7, but right now it's just 10 days until 3-5 release, then a month afterwards we are getting 6. Worth waiting and playing in order at this point. Just pick up 7 if you see it on sale at a ridiculous price.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    InD_ImaginE FYI SEGA announced Xbox and Windows 10 release of 7/LAD for Asia and Japan. February 25th, comes a few days earlier than PS5 release. https://asiablog.sega.com/archives/17630

There's no mention of Steam in press releases, but Japan gets Steam release so it's probable I think.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Good to hear that. This means that the 3 - 6 port will probably also come to Asia.

Thanks man!

^ Top  
  16. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Quick Q about exploration/threat meter: are the pips always in relation to your level? E.G. if I'm level 20, and I face off against say LV 19 enemies, will that still = 1 to 2 pips on the threat meter. Even when I'm LV 50 vs LV 48 goon squad?

^ Top  
  17. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    comparing Kiwami (a remake of the first game) to 0 (the 6th (mainline) game in the series) is dumb, there's not much they could have done to make the story better without completely changing it.. the 'majima anywhere' system is fucking retarded though and I hate how it doubles down on memejima... Kiwami 2 is better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Deadass Learned

Deadass
    Did they even set up the steam store page for the remastered trilogy? It's literally coming out in less than a week lol

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
    I've been catching up with the series. I gave 0 a try about 2-3 years ago seeing it was praised here, I liked it well enough ; I'm playing it over again because of the remasters. I've reached 3 now and strangely enough this is my favorite so far, despite it being generally seen as the weakest in the series. I think the kids stuff add something to Kiryu's character ; he doesn't entirely fit in the serious crime and political world of the main narratives. If anything the overall moral themes of these stories make little sense for how serious they are presented. Kiryu's motives for being involved are always blurry at best as he's always being reactive, it doesn't make for very engaging crime drama. But him being in more light situations makes a lot of sense and it's always pretty funny. Also since his character is all about being reactive and protective, he needs people to defend and nurture or really we forget why he's here. The kids give that background to him, at any rate.

I think the first two games had pretty weak plot to be honest. Too convulsed and the emotional moments didn't work at all. They kill off too many characters without developing them, and the over the top twists just become comical. But in 3 I think they take their time a bit more, somehow I like all the characters, be it the protagonists or the villains, and I'm invested. I did like 0 too in that sense. I guess what's amazing and unique with this series is that it exists at all ; investing a narrative over 7 games isn't something that is very common, they can work on it as titles advance. I'm always for developers having the possibility to work on their craft over time. One-hit wonders are an illusion ; the old school classics that we know had a lot of craft behind them, no doubt.

As was said elsewhere no doubt, what this series does masterfully in my opinion is dissonance. Somehow they make it work ; it shows how much narratives don't need to be coherent or logical to be good. Not that most of the stories don't hold up, but their qualities don't come from their structure, they come from the tonal shifts. It's pretty sweet, I think. In other words, the concept of "narrative dissonance" shouldn't be considered to be only pejorative, especially when you look at this series.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. GhostCow ワイフハンター Patron

GhostCow
    RPG Wokedex
    I really liked the fighting system in 0 and Kiwami, then got to Kiwami 2, which is supposed to have way better gameplay, but I liked 0 and Kiwami a lot more. Maybe I was just burned out. I'll give it another shot eventually. I still have a lot of 7 to go through, but I'm avoiding it for now because I don't really care for the management mini-game and I dread going through it to get the other party member.

^ Top  
  21. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    So Yakuza 3-5 remaster is supposed to be out on PC in 5 days, but there's still no Steam page for it. What the fuck Sega, get your shit together.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. mogwaimon Erudite

mogwaimon
    oh shi, I thought it was March that they were coming out. Guess that's just Yakuza 6. Sweet!

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. StaticSpine Arcane Patron

StaticSpine
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So, bros, is Like a Dragon worth buying?

I never touched any of Yakuza games and most likely wouldn't, but this one is TB, which is the only type I play these days.

• Yes Yes x 15
    ^ Top  
  24. Abu Antar Prestigious Gentleman Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's a mighty fine game if you don't mind J-drama and lots of cut scenes. It was my GOTY for 2020 and I haven't even beaten it yet. It's that good.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.