Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Grokalibre

Savant
I played 0 & kiwami 2 and enjoyed both but don't play on playing the whole serie. Which would you recommend between 3 & 5?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What is Yakuza Kiwami 2 exactly? I mean is it just a regular episode of the series, or some kind of spin-off?

mogwaimon

Magister
The Kiwami games are remakes of the originals. Yakuza 1 and 2 were both originally on the PS2 and also lost a lot of content/got shitty dubs when they got brought to America. Japan decided to remake the games because they were the only 2 on PS2, plus add extra content on top and also restore the cut content for the western releases. The quality of said remakes is debatable; I would say that Kiwami 1 at least is superior to the original but as I've said earlier in the thread I'm not a fan of what I saw of the Dragon Engine that got used for Kiwami 2 and some uber fans say that Kiwami 2 screwed with the pacing of the story a bit more than they'd have liked...but in terms of content Kiwami 2 is likely superior to the original and either way you're getting a fantastic game.

Yakuza games suffered from cut content up until Yakuza 3, for the most part, as even the PS3 release of Y3 had a lot of stuff cut for the west, but most of it was restored for the remaster (though I hear there was a little bit of decline in terms of censoring some sort of okama mission, it's still better than what we initially got)

Reinhardt

Arcane
Every Yakuza game coming to PC and getting day one purchased by me.
YES!

Btw now it's much better deal than windows store. 10$ each or 20$ for all. Bought. But will play them after Nioh 2 because already started Atelier.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Every Yakuza game coming to PC and getting day one purchased by me.
YES!

Btw now it's much better deal than windows store. 10$ each or 20$ for all. Bought. But will play them after Nioh 2 because already started Atelier.

It's actually about $5 cheaper on the MS store here... and you could just game pass all of it.

mogwaimon

Magister
could have something to do with the games having already been out for years and the remasters themselves being available on other consoles since last year. Barring any PC port issues we pretty much know what we're getting

Jinn

Arcane
So the Codex abhors D1P except for their darlings.

Just because there's a loud minority of old curmudgeon penny pinchers doesn't mean everyone here is the same. Supporting a series you like coming to your platform of choice is absolutely a worthy reason for a day one purchase.

PC port issues

There's already been a number of reviews and previews for the PC versions that say they run flawlessly. Beyond that, the recommended specs are extremely low. And even further, the only problems the other ports have had so far were minor optimization issues. If you're a fan of the series and don't have these games yet, there's literally no reason not to get them if you've been wanting them as long as you have a PC build that can handle them.

Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
wxtQnpf.png

:kingcomrade:

FapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfapfapfaPfapFapfap

*sploosh!*

Sorry. So yes, fuck yes. About time they started releasing the good stuff.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Bought the 3/4/5 collection. Probably going to wait a bit before I play them because I only recently got through zero and like a dragon, but I guess it doesn't hurt to throw some money at devs who still make their game worlds fun.

Reinhardt

Arcane
So the Codex abhors D1P except for their darlings.

:updatedmytxt:
Nigger, D1P for good games is a must. How else you can whine "dem wolves killed me again" with other people in kangmaker thread? Fags who bought "fixed" version won't even understand what wolves you are talking about. Without actual discussion rpg games losing half of their charm.

Jinn

Arcane
So playing Yakuza 3 for the first time. A lot of people like to shit on the game, say it's the worst in the series, etc. I'm really enjoying it a lot. It's such a nice and weird change of pace for the series in terms of subject matter and tone. Not to mention the gameplay, which while still clunky and somewhat earlier Yakuza-ish, is fun and often times enjoyably challenging on Hard. Really happy with it so far. Have had a hard time pulling myself away from it today.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So playing Yakuza 3 for the first time. A lot of people like to shit on the game, say it's the worst in the series, etc. I'm really enjoying it a lot. It's such a nice and weird change of pace for the series in terms of subject matter and tone. Not to mention the gameplay, which while still clunky and somewhat earlier Yakuza-ish, is fun and often times enjoyably challenging on Hard. Really happy with it so far. Have had a hard time pulling myself away from it today.
Yakuza 3 is the only game I've played in the series so far, and I really enjoyed it as well. I can't compare it to others, but it is just a lot of fun.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I don't feel like buying them because I have them all on console. D1P for new entries.
Same, already got the PS4 steelbook but hey it's great that more people can play what's easily one of the best game series in full.

Yakuza 3 has a lot to like about it IMO, like fully committing to Kiryu as crimedad (a big reason why Yakuza 6 is overall my favorite is that its the story is most focused on Kiryu as a father and grandfather) and the general feel of Okinawa. But it's also got probably the most shark-jumping, and the PS3 engine's two early outings are rougher than the rest (like, they have said that because of this Kenzan wouldn't get a re-release or remaster but would need a full Kiwami treatment, since that was the game they made just to practice on the new engine). I personally still like Yakuza 3 more than 4 (and that's not because of a certain plot twist, that plot twist itself is fine).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom