Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Nirvash

Liturgist
Bro if this is the one where you're trying to save that dude from thugs just use one of those fancy cheat tiles and have done.

Cheating?

P0dwJxD.png

And then what, use weapons in the fights?

Terra

Cipher
Bro if this is the one where you're trying to save that dude from thugs just use one of those fancy cheat tiles and have done.

Cheating?

P0dwJxD.png

And then what, use weapons in the fights?
Fuck re-learning/remembering how to play Shogi/mahjong & w/e other minigames they've brought back just for one little sidestory, cheat item all the way. Granted, they have got better presenting the minigames+rules for western audiences in newer releases; iirc original Y2 Shogi you had a low-resolution squiggle on the pieces with no little red letters on the pieces to help you out. So in that regard, the modern entries are probably more paleteable in terms of learning the more intricate minigames.

I appreciate the minigames being there for those that enjoy them and applaud the variety, but I cannot be bothered reading through 15 odd pages of mahjong "basics" just for one substory personally.

Alphons

Cipher
I really like mahjong after learning to play it in 0 and I think I'm an alright player.
I still used the tiles on that substory and both tournaments.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We don't have a Judgment thread. Want me to have this thread for both Y and J series, or should we just make a new one for Judgment?

For now, here's a little something:

Ivan

Arcane
Yakuza 5

A massive entry in the series that offers a plethora of minigames/activities for the player to engage with. This entry does a great job of tethering some narrative to these activities to make them worthwhile to players who would otherwise skip them if they lacked it. Further, Y5 does a fantastic job of developing its supporting cast, such that the smaller character arcs outweigh the otherwise flimsy major conflict of the story (I found all our heroes' individual stories to be fully entertaining and full of the heart/charm I've grown so fond of in this series). I found the combat to be as enjoyable as it was in 4, i.e. on the easier side with fewer aggravating enemies that would incessantly block. I did take issue with a many of the Heat actions being quite lengthy and pretty silly (e.g. Kiryu smearing face on concrete, Saejima's snowman, Shinada's pretty unimpressive wrestling KOs, and Akiyama's lengthy kicking ones). Visually, 5 is a great improvement on 3 and 4, and I noticed that the cutscenes exhibited more cinematic flourishes with camera movement, foreshadowing just how well the action would flow from cutscene to gameplay in the later entries in the series. In sum, Y5 is a behemoth of an entry, so long as you remember to partake in the aspects of the game that you enjoy, and not make yourself sick by forcing content that doesn't resonate with you, you should have a great time. I myself look forward to having only one protagonist and great focus on one location in the next entry.

OCD: I'm going to clean up the last few substories before I uninstall, but I already see that it's a pain the ass having to switch character then taking the taxi to wherever you need to go.

Rankings: 7>0>K2>5>3>K1>4

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the meanwhile men.
I have an important piece of information.
Yakuza 3. The orphanage has a washroom. This piece of info will seem insignificant now, but when the time is right you will know what I mean.

Seolas

Liturgist
It's on sale.

Yup, I got it on Steam. So far, so good. Turn-based was a shock to the system at first, but I'm now digging it. The mini-games are great in it. I am missing Kiryu somewhat (Ichiban is very likeable protagonist though) and the game sorta feels like Homeless Simulator at times early on, but I'm not even half way through yet and I'm sure it'll pick up.

mogwaimon

Magister
they're owned by Sega, guys, they were probably forced to do it and even if they weren't it's probably some soyboi in America that runs that account. RGG Studios itself is probably not compromised

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
omg I DID IT

K8QFkHB.jpg

I GRINDED THIS SHIT FOR OVER 11 HOURS TODAY, GAME COUNTER WAS 8 AND NOW IS FUCKING 19 HOURS

9 CONSECUTIVE ROUNDS AS DEALER WINNING BY FUCKING 1-3K POINTS
Great. Now try figure it out before Yakuza was more popular in the west and the tiles weren't numbered or jack shit. That was pure suffering

Nirvash

Liturgist
Great. Now try figure it out before Yakuza was more popular in the west and the tiles weren't numbered or jack shit. That was pure suffering

You only need numbers for 4-9 manzu, the problem is knowing the hands.

Very well, almost done with cabaret and unlocked majima epic quest.

G4UfI87.jpg

Mahjong AI in this game is piss easy. (well, i never played majhong vs AI before, i play online in mahjong soul)

Well, gotta get money to buy kiryu-chan some helping souvenirs (or not, made 50 mil from cabaret).
Holy damn majima is WAY STRONGER than kiryu, 3 times faster.

Still. the karaoke don't have cinderella, my disappointment is IMMEASURABLE.

Nirvash

Liturgist
3OgtFar.jpg

The hell, from 0 to 100.

Why is the silent hill composer mirror kicking my sorry ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom