Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Silentstorm

Learned
One no...well, some people are mad about the game not having lives, changes to the voices and physics, and how they changed Monkey Target so i am not shocked someone doesn't want it here.

Silentstorm

Learned
Sadly no, you can only collect Staminan X's and Majima isn't around, also, you can only put Kiryu in a marble as guest and DLC characters can't be picked for mini games...some assume because there is a fighting mini game and there is a female character, and the director has always been very very against women enemies in Yakuza and the idea of any protagonist ever hitting one, and thus Kiryu drags down himself and others to not being in the mini games.

...Or they just didn't want to animate more for the guest and DLC characters, which is fair but so lame, i want Monkey Target with Kiryu, and come on, Kiryu already plays bowling and golf in the games, let him do it against monkeys...and Sonic...and Hello Kitty...maybe Hello Kitty is also part of the reason why characters can't be in the mini games considering the fighting ones...and yes, Hello Kitty will be in the game.

Silentstorm

Learned
In fairness, Haruka and Kiryu have a father-daughter relationship, and Japan took quite a bit longer to say that hitting your children is bad...in fact, it took them a shockingly long time to get anywhere near the western world when it comes to children's rights.

Child Protective Services in Japan historically complained about how too few people called them and accepted kids being hit, yelled at and maybe worse because either kids deserve it or families should solve everything by themselves and it's wrong to mess with their lives, if you know something, just stay quiet.

Apparently movies like Kindergarten Cop were a hard sell in Japan because Arnold beating a guy up for hitting his son wasn't celebrated nearly as much there as in America as they felt Arnold was messing with a family instead for little reason...though looking around, things are getting better, and child services are getting more and more calls in Japan and being used...it's sad that this is a progress of a good thing, the government being warned about abused kids.

But considering the way the director talks about women and guys who hit them, i feel like the director must be conservative in some ways and Kiryu is allowed to slap some girls if he happens to have a fatherly relationship with them, otherwise, Kiryu would rather die than ever hit any women.

Gerrard

Arcane
The longer I play the game the worse the combat becomes. Chapter 7 now, and the only fun part of the combat is beating up random mooks. The boss fights, where you'd think you actually get to use some of your abilities, are a total shitshow, it's literally all "Get 2-3 hits in, dodge, because you never know when the boss might just slap your shit because your attacks have 2 seconds of recovery frames. Repeat for 10 minutes because they have a ton of health.".
:decline:

Jinn

Arcane
Sad news. They still got a lot of great guys involved there though, so I don't think it's the end. Masayoshi Yokoyama as studio head makes good sense too.

Nogoshi and Sato should really just retire. Dudes have been at it forever. Heard that rumor at least Nogoshi is moving to some Chinese mobile studio or some shit. Hope that's not how he decides to end his career, but he'd end it with millions that way at least, I guess.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Eh, not a big deal. Everyone moves on at some point. Plus it's not like Nagoshi and Sato were the only ones pulling the weight, Yokoyama has been on board since the beginning and in fact is the creator of Kiryu and Haruka and all the other characters as we know them.

Last edited:

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Hopefully they move on to translate the second one as well.

With the release of the PSP game, and hopefully the start of the translation of the sequel, the only game in the franchise left that isn't (being) translated to English is Kenzan.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Yeah, I just went over to the thread on gbatemp and realized they are talking about the second game, not the first.

As for the first one, they had this to say:

Are you guys going to work on Kurohyou 1 at some stage? Yes, that is our next project and hopefully we will have some news about it sometime soon.

Though, I'm curious how long they've been working on the second game to be able to set such a (relatively) close release date.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Ok back to yakuza 4 after recovering from the burn, done with the cop story, i like the dude.

BUT

BUT

WHAT THE FUCK

7TF8J8P.jpg

This has to the most stupid bullshit retcon i have EVER seen in videogames.

Is sega for real?

What the fuck

Saejima you are the biggest clown ever, holy damn.

Deflowerer

Arcane
If you know what's kosher in Japanese mainstream media, would've seen it from a mile away.

Unlike Western people, Japanese won't really give the hero role to someone who has committed a serious crime.

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, in Japan you might end up 20-30 years in prison for discharging a firearm in an urban environment without even hitting someone.

It's also the reason Yakuza has a meme where everything is rubber. Like that one time fired a rubber missile at a rubber helicopter which caused a rubber explosion and the pilot bailed out and landed in a truck full of pillows. Kazuma Kiryu has never killed anyone. Including the time he became Kenshiro, because his victim was already dead.

Endemic

Arcane
Pretty sure the creator has said he didn't want the games to be GTA, and kept the deaths to a minimum in line with that philosophy.

Yeah, in Japan you might end up 20-30 years in prison for discharging a firearm in an urban environment without even hitting someone.

Not really, but then the real Yakuza didn't get into fights at the drop of a hat and assassinations were generally far more subtle than in the games.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
It's been said that Yakuza is a series about a bunch of criminals and societal outcasts with hearts of gold. I say it's about a bunch of valiant, morally perfect, invincible demigods who LARP as delinquents.

If SEGA had some balls Saejima would have been an outright killer. That's what made his story so incredibly compelling on my first playthrough. Then in Yakuza 5 he's identical to Kiryu but with a slightly more old-school vibe and without the other aspects that make Kiryu a good character.
:decline:

Endemic

Arcane
If SEGA had some balls Saejima would have been an outright killer. That's what made his story so incredibly compelling on my first playthrough. Then in Yakuza 5 he's identical to Kiryu but with a slightly more old-school vibe and without the other aspects that make Kiryu a good character.

Eh, retconning like that is nothing new for the series. Consider Majima in Yakuza 1 vs how he is depicted elsewhere in the series. His character was changed in line with his popularity later.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Eh, not a big deal. Everyone moves on at some point. Plus it's not like Nagoshi and Sato were the only ones pulling the weight, Yokoyama has been on board since the beginning and in fact is the creator of Kiryu and Haruka and all the other characters as we know them.
And let's not forget Ryosuke Horii.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom