Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Nirvash

Liturgist
Let's fucking goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yakuza 6

Omg kiryu get a fucking lawyer, and how is tojo getting stomped by some bugmans lol
I only hope the big bad is not some SURPRISE CHINK tojo officer hiding it for 45 years.

dhP9E8E.jpg

Poor, poor kiryu.
This is the perfect "I'm too old for this shit" face

well, gotta hit the gym and then chaturbate.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Guys... so...

A3lyJNT.jpg

...kiryu lost it, right?

This is not the usual dumbassery, dude must be legit brain damaged or something now, he lost nearly all the ability to reason.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is not the usual dumbassery, dude must be legit brain damaged or something now, he lost nearly all the ability to reason.

While sad, this is a pretty realistic depiction of the behavior of the average man who fancies himself a guardian of women and children.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Oh yes, let's just give a infant to this self called former mother tutor, a ex-yakuza fresh out of prison for yakuza reasons.

Sega story team is lazy as ever.

cruel

Cipher
So, I reached infamous chapter 12 (playing Like a Dragon), and keep hearing about massive difficulty spike incoming. The game was pretty easy for me so far, how bad this spike really is? Do I need to spend hours on management minigame to earn 35 Million required to buy good armor at the workshop (Cyber Armor, 5M for a set, 5M x7 = 35M), or not really? I don't mind 'hard', but if I'm going to get one-shotted because of poor defense, it would be nice to know probably (and possibly don't replay few hours from an earlier save).

Possibly small spoiler:

I'm wondering if one of the Part Time Hero requests is tied to this spike - it seems that random Vagabond close to homeless camp nets more than 500K exp for one fight, combine this with 1.5x exp items and Kiwami drink, it means a lot of job experience from one fight. Just not sure if it's enough here.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
So, I reached infamous chapter 12 (playing Like a Dragon), and keep hearing about massive difficulty spike incoming. The game was pretty easy for me so far, how bad this spike really is? Do I need to spend hours on management minigame to earn 35 Million required to buy good armor at the workshop (Cyber Armor, 5M for a set, 5M x7 = 35M), or not really? I don't mind 'hard', but if I'm going to get one-shotted because of poor defense, it would be nice to know probably (and possibly don't replay few hours from an earlier save).

Possibly small spoiler:

I'm wondering if one of the Part Time Hero requests is tied to this spike - it seems that random Vagabond close to homeless camp nets more than 500K exp for one fight, combine this with 1.5x exp items and Kiwami drink, it means a lot of job experience from one fight. Just not sure if it's enough here.
Before the difficulty spike they introduce an arena thingy where you go through series of fights floor by floor, and while it's technically optional the next obligatory boss fight feels kinda balanced around having completed said arena thingy. You do get some neat loot from that whole ordeal IIRC, so if you enjoy Like a Dragon combat more than the management minigame I'd recommend doing that instead.

Nirvash

Liturgist
I LOVE the new yakuza sidekicks.

I hope anikidude will not die taking a bullet for kiryu... and then falling from the hiroshima hill.

tGTuXnX.jpg

My god this face of absolute resignation.
Not sure about the anime parody subquest writing.

I'm liking the game so far, is WAY better than kiwami 2.
I love this small city, small but beautiful map.

Nirvash

Liturgist
My god the rts clan sidetrash is even more boring than in kiwami 2, absolute garbage.
35v14I8.jpg
Really, come on the dude is not so much older than kiryu.

I dunno, most of the nostalgia side stuff feels very low effort checklist.

Ok, i'm SEETHING i don't get to play minicars again.

Chk991

Novice
Shame about some of the games leaving Gamepass, but I wasn't planning on playing the Kiwamis anyway. I've got 6 and 7 left now. Wondering if I should just jump in now or wait a while so I won't be too burned out by the franchise.

Should I skip 6 and go to 7 straight or what

Terra

Cipher
Just started Yakuza 7 and damn, didn't expect to like the combat as much as I am - looks & feels fantastic. I've just finished Chapter 1, but so far it's been really great, definitely got a different feel to Kiryu's entries. Even the menus look pretty classy now.

Silva

Arcane
Just started Yakuza 7 and damn, didn't expect to like the combat as much as I am - looks & feels fantastic. I've just finished Chapter 1, but so far it's been really great, definitely got a different feel to Kiryu's entries. Even the menus look pretty classy now.
7 Is the Like a Dragon one? Is it a good entry point to the series? I want to start playing the series but don't know where to begin.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
7 Is the Like a Dragon one? Is it a good entry point to the series? I want to start playing the series but don't know where to begin.
7 is basically a fresh start with a new main character so it's a fine starting point.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look try 0 and 7.

Silva

Arcane
Look try 0 and 7.
Why 0? Is it the best of the old protagonist?

cruel

Cipher
Yes, 0 is considered as the best one. You may not like the combat though, at least I didn't (a lot of button mashing involved). Combat in 7 is great though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Look try 0 and 7.
Why 0? Is it the best of the old protagonist?
Not necessarily, but it's a decent point of entry.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just started Like a Dragon. Almost had a heart attack when I heard that English dub!!!

quixotic

Learned
But in all seriousness, I haven’t even got to 7 yet and I’ve already heard secondhand how fucking awful the dub is.
Dubbed Yakuza is like eating your cereal with water instead of milk.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Merry Christmas, everyone!

So I beat Yakuza 0 yesterday with a little more than 20% completion. It's my first Yakuza game and I was expecting something like an RPG / beat-em-up hybrid. What I got instead was a visual novel. II would spend 1 or 2 minutes of beating thugs on the street followed by 15 minute cut scenes. I wasn't overly impressed with this one, though it was better than average. Mostly because I felt the Kiryu missions and conversations to be a drag. I much preferred playing as Majima, as his background story was more compelling. Kiryu is surrounded by people who care about him and try to convince him to get out of the lifestyle, but dumbass keeps sticking around for nebulous reasons even when given a way out. Majima is trapped from day one, surrounded by assholes, and has no real way out, yet continues to soldier on despite moments that break him. He also has an awesome break dance fight style and my favored baseball bat style. And his main side quest is a sim brothel/waifu cabaret/hostess management sim. Fuck man... why does anyone ever want to play Kiryu?

The whole reason I decided to play Yakuza 0 is because I purchased Yakuza: Like a Dragon as a Christmas present to myself and I thought it would help me with the series background. I've only played a couple of hours of it, but so far I'm enjoying Like a Dragon a lot more than Yakuza 0. Ichiban is a lot more interesting than Kiryu and maybe on par with Majima. I appreciated the blatant homage to Dragon's Quest and the mimicking of its JRPG style. Missions feel like dungeon crawling and it's neat to see fantasy RPG combat adopted to modern urban Japan. While Yakuza 0 felt like a slog at times, I had a hard time putting the controller down in Like a Dragon. I'm in Chapter 3 right now and have already met two NPCs that can join my party. I'm looking forward to playing some more, especially when the city opens up for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom