Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Friends, here are my initial early alcohol-fueled thoughts on Like a Dragon (after switching to original Japanese voices, of course)!

Hopefully the new combat system grows on me. It seems... odd thus far.

I don't like reboots in general, so this was a tough sell in the first place for me. I don't particularly like Ichi yet, but that means nothing at this point since I also had an intense dislike for Kiryu until Y3 as well. They do share similarities in how naive they are, but Kiryu always had that stiff upper lip that gave him a certain mystique. I ended up really invested in Kiryu's story by Y4 and was really hoping he wouldn't have to go away or that we could at least portray a character who's had at least some development before.

Kamurocho looks the same as Y2Kiwami/Y6, so fairly nice. That's fine, although I've expressed before how due to this new engine the visuals lose a lot of the organic feel the previous ones had.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The child care dude wasn't exactly a reassuring sign either.
That's basically the key thing to understand: Orphans (whether actually orphaned or just abandoned by their parents) are treated AWFULLY in Japan. Kiryu had it better than most IRL orphans do in Japan because of Kazama's involvement with Sunflower, and that's a reason why he cares so much about Morning Glory and being a father to nine children and a grandfather in 6. He himself says it, he'd never let Haruto fall into the uncaring hands of the same system and society that failed him in the first place.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Friends, here are my initial early alcohol-fueled thoughts on Like a Dragon (after switching to original Japanese voices, of course)!

I don't like reboots in general, so this was a tough sell in the first place for me. I don't particularly like Ichi yet, but that means nothing at this point since I also had an intense dislike for Kiryu until Y3 as well. They do share similarities in how naive they are, but Kiryu always had that stiff upper lip that gave him a certain mystique. I ended up really invested in Kiryu's story by Y4 and was really hoping he wouldn't have to go away or that we could at least portray a character who's had at least some development before.

Kamurocho looks the same as Y2Kiwami/Y6, so fairly nice. That's fine, although I've expressed before how due to this new engine the visuals lose a lot of the organic feel the previous ones had.

You'll love Ichiban by the end of it.

Ivan

Arcane
the quality of Yakuza sidequests never cease to surprise me

yakuza-kabedon.gif

also, not sure what tirggers it, but I saw this once thus far in my playthrough:
BasicChillyAfricanbushviper-max-1mb.gif

Ivan

Arcane
Wow, so I just wrapped up Y6. Glad to have a leaner experience after the full blown buffet that was Y5. Janky combat animations aside, I loved the presentation. Loved the more personal story and focus on Kiryu, which made this feel like the sequel I was quenching after 3. Onomichi is a quaint little area that becomes quickly familiar.

As always, one of my favorite elements from the Yakuza games are the soundtracks. Some choice cuts:

Last edited:

Nirvash

Liturgist
Why no one told me about the baseball manager? I was missing it.

spear fishing is so so

Nirvash

Liturgist
WHERE IS SHINADA, meh

1UZBKXR.jpg

Lol, just jump from the roof you hopeless chinaclown.

And let me guess, the secret gonna be some absolute bullshit.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

You'll love Ichiban by the end of it.

Probably, yeah!

Nirvash

Liturgist
Arfx7NN.jpg

Man, the bar friends thing was so wholesome, way way better than the cabaret whores thing.

So... the "secret" was sure dumb but i guess everything still make sense, i'm impressed.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Well into the meat of things now in Like a Dragon, I have indeed come to like Ichiban a lot, as well as the other three companions. They have some really cool interactions and interactivity with the plot, which was a thing missing in previous Yakuza games.
The sidequests are really fun as well, they have that over the top factor that's reminiscent of Y0.

The combat is one thing I'm still not a big fan of...

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Game crashed after the Geomijul chapter, making me redo the whole thing. Over an hour wasted. Saving during dungeon/story sequences is not a thing, and as for after, I thought it saved when you enter buildings, but apparently it fucking didn't. Why the fuck is this game so crashy? I remember running Y5 for 3 days straight and never having it crash once.
Last beer goes to waste.
Sigh.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Game crashed after the Geomijul chapter, making me redo the whole thing. Over an hour wasted. Saving during dungeon/story sequences is not a thing, and as for after, I thought it saved when you enter buildings, but apparently it fucking didn't. Why the fuck is this game so crashy? I remember running Y5 for 3 days straight and never having it crash once.
Last beer goes to waste.
Sigh.

I must say, the yakuza pc ports have been almost 100% stable for me, i'm legit impressed.

I had 2 crash on yakuza 0 due to a inventory bug, the others had sometimes some error when closing, but i NEVER had a gameplay crash in what... 250h?

cruel

Cipher
I reached chapter 14 in Like a Dragon. The whole plot twist they served in chapter 13 was one big WTF. I understand they tried to do something unexpected, but come on, talk about probability and being realistic.

I like the game overall and will definitely finish it, but some of the plot developments are, let's say, not convincing. Also, while I like the combat, it could really use some more variety / flavor. Whatever you experience (combat wise) in the first few chapters doesn't really evolve much throughout the game.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom