Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Alphons

Cipher
Finished main story of Yakuza 5. I have to say that I liked it more than 4.
Ending again doesn't make much sense, but the individual chapters were great. Enjoyed Haruka, Akiyama and Kiryu's, loved Shinada's. Saejima's chapter drags on in the beginning, but it was alright once he's out of prison.

Side characters were OK, my personal favourite is Takasugi.

Didn't finish all the substories yet, they were pretty good (cursed Printcircle started as a weaker 7 mysteries of Ryukyu, but when I didn't get the EXP after the chase I knew exactly what the twist is gonna be).

Side stories are all really good, shame Akiyama doesn't get one.

New heat moves are pretty brutal (face grating, ughh). New minigames were a lot of fun (cochin, snow war, comedy club, gunrhein arcade, noodles, Shinada's baseball).

Ultimate Matches, 54% of completion list and Legend left to finish.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Finished main story of Yakuza 5. I have to say that I liked it more than 4.
Ending again doesn't make much sense, but the individual chapters were great. Enjoyed Haruka, Akiyama and Kiryu's, loved Shinada's. Saejima's chapter drags on in the beginning, but it was alright once he's out of prison.

Side characters were OK, my personal favourite is Takasugi.

Didn't finish all the substories yet, they were pretty good (cursed Printcircle started as a weaker 7 mysteries of Ryukyu, but when I didn't get the EXP after the chase I knew exactly what the twist is gonna be).

Side stories are all really good, shame Akiyama doesn't get one.

New heat moves are pretty brutal (face grating, ughh). New minigames were a lot of fun (cochin, snow war, comedy club, gunrhein arcade, noodles, Shinada's baseball).

Ultimate Matches, 54% of completion list and Legend left to finish.

5 story/ending is the only yakuza making sense.
What's stupid is just kiryu and the others being massive punch drunks.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Right, the Yakuza game with an ending that makes sense is the one where Kiryu screws up his life (and the orphanage) in order to allow Haruka the opportunity to become an idol, then puts his life on the line --- alongside Saejima, Akiyama, and Shinada --- so that Haruka can deliver her debut performance at the Japan Dome, only for Haruka to abandon the concert midway, thus wrecking her career and invalidating their sacrifices (also those made Haruka's manager Ms. Park, who put her company on the line and then lost her life). Not to mention that Yakuza 6 (which I'll never bother playing) apparently establishes that Kiryu was imprisoned for his actions at the end of Yakuza 5, and by the time he is released years later Haruka has had an illegitimate child by an unknown lover, lost the child, and then fallen into a coma after being hit by a car.

:happytrollboy:

Alphons

Cipher
Yakuza 5 ending
Omi guy: The guy behind the entire conspiracy wanted us to fight and kill each other. But I have a plan to outsmart him. Let's fight and kill each other.
Another omi guy, Saejima and Kiryu: ok
So they fight each other and when they're all exhausted from fighting the great mastermind shows up and shoots them all. Thankfully Daigo shows up, shoots the mastermind, offers him mercy and gets shot by a henchman.

Or the confrontation with the final antagonist that shows up from nowhere:

q6j845juc6q61.jpg

Blaza

Educated
Finished Yakuza 7 last week, clocked in at 61 hours doing some side stories at my usual pace. Finished the business minigame, want to go back and finish Dragon Kart and some other side stories I finished.

I was a little apprehensive on release regarding the turn based combat. I love the brawler style of Yakuza and thought it fit the series really well. After a few hours I was sold however. I loved the in-universe reason for it being turn based too, and I thought it was a nice touch that throughout the story
the party members go from finding Ichiban's Dragon Quest obsession as weird and funny to genuinely explaining things in DQ terms for him.
I like that everyone walks around during combat instead of just waiting their turn. However it did make lining up some AOE attacks a little annoying.

Really enjoyed the lack of grinding, to beat the story I only needed to do one ~2 hour session to get up to snuff for the
Majima and Sajeima fight

The story was pretty good as well, I genuinely love the tone of Yakuza. It's serious when it needs to be and silly when it doesn't.
I did not seeRyo Aoki being Masato Arakawa and the whole dad switching thing with Masato,Ichiban, Jo Sawashiro, and Masumi Arakawa. I audilby said "WAIT THERE WAS ANOTHER FUCKIN BABY" when it did the reveal. Totally off guard and cemented how much I love this soap opera bullshit.
Yakuza continues to be one of the only game series to make me feel something.

Really looking forward to seeing where they go with Ichiban's story. He's a great replacement for Kiryu despite being his opposite in personality.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I do think Ichiban makes for a better protagonist than Kiryu at this point, but the turn-based combat I'm still not a fan of.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Right, the Yakuza game with an ending that makes sense is the one where Kiryu screws up his life (and the orphanage) in order to allow Haruka the opportunity to become an idol, then puts his life on the line --- alongside Saejima, Akiyama, and Shinada --- so that Haruka can deliver her debut performance at the Japan Dome, only for Haruka to abandon the concert midway, thus wrecking her career and invalidating their sacrifices (also those made Haruka's manager Ms. Park, who put her company on the line and then lost her life). Not to mention that Yakuza 6 (which I'll never bother playing) apparently establishes that Kiryu was imprisoned for his actions at the end of Yakuza 5, and by the time he is released years later Haruka has had an illegitimate child by an unknown lover, lost the child, and then fallen into a coma after being hit by a car.

:happytrollboy:

Parkcunt paid the orphanage expenses for haruka, kiryu also always had the fear of his past resurfacing. (we again get this in 6 for haruka)
The orphanage was always running ok.

Haruka behavior is 100% legit, she truly learned from kiryu about running away and making stupid decisions in the heat of the moment.

Is all kiryu being punch drunk.

Yakuza 5 ending

But yes, kiryu and the punch drunk crew just wanted a excuse to slug out.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I've been playing Lost Judgment on the XBONE. Very solid game. I finished the main story and 30/42 side cases, which took about 40 hours. My main complaint is the school stories, it seems like you have to grind activities (dancing, robotics tournament, etc.) to make any progress in them. I'm blocked from progressing any further in the investigations of the dance club and the robotics club right now. Probably will keep plugging away at it because it seems I'm missing a lot of content.

Ialda

Learned
Slowy going throught my backlog, I finally started playing Judgement this WE and got grabbed by it pretty hard.
Is it the best Yakuza game since 0 ? Because it sure feels like it. Please tell me Lost Judgement is at least as good.

Only regret so far :
no mysterious murder taking place in a countryside manor straight out of a Agatha Christie/Rampo Edogawa novel so far. I'm disappoint.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Finished the Kaito Files DLC for Lost Judgment. Daresay the story was much better than the main game, and the way it ended could not have been more satisfying. Definitely play through it if you plan on getting Lost Judgment.

Modron

Arcane
10 days until one year of Judgement on the Stadia and the autistic modelling agency head that was preventing it from coming to the PC properly is has been ousted. You guys think we'll get some good pc news soon?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
10 days until one year of Judgement on the Stadia and the autistic modelling agency head that was preventing it from coming to the PC properly is has been ousted. You guys think we'll get some good pc news soon?
I wonder if we'll get it with a remodeled Yagami or something.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Ok,I was thinking about it and I got a question about Yakuza Like A Dragon since I haven't played it yet.We all know that when people start removing their shirts and go bare chested that shit just got real and we are likely in the final bss fight but since in Like A Dragon you have a team and that includes women what happens in the final battle?Does the protagonist only remove his shirt?Does everyone go half naked inlcuded the women?Does everyone including the final boss get to keep their clothes?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok,I was thinking about it and I got a question about Yakuza Like A Dragon since I haven't played it yet.We all know that when people start removing their shirts and go bare chested that shit just got real and we are likely in the final bss fight but since in Like A Dragon you have a team and that includes women what happens in the final battle?Does the protagonist only remove his shirt?Does everyone go half naked inlcuded the women?Does everyone including the final boss get to keep their clothes?
That deshirting doesn't apply to civilians bro.
Shinada is the exception because his shirt was too tight for his musculature.

Modron

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom