Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

ADL

Prophet
Anyone with a brain knew from the start that STALKER 2 will live or die based on how moddable it is. If it is great and lacks meaningful mod support, it's dead. If it's mediocre but highly moddable, it'll be worthwhile. If it's bad but highly moddable, it'll have a tough time getting people to bother modding it but someone will do it and salvage it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Those devkits are complex to use and usually require a full install of the SDK are no where near the ease of open data files.

Also judging by the UE4 forums, lots of "simple" things are very complex via that route.

I can make massive changes to any of the three STALKER games with notepad alone.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though, could you provide some examples of UE4 games that are fully moddable? I.e. don't have cooked archives and allow full access to the data files?

Ark and Conan Exiles come to mind.
Both let you completely modify the game and test those changes in a Sandbox environment.

The Dev Kits are no harder than using Unreal as you normally would to make a game. That can be Complex or Simple depending on your experience / familiarity with the tool but if you've modded one Unreal game, you've modded them all, it's always the same flow / pipeline. No need to learn a convoluted new Engine or Tech Stack.

Generally Game modders / Artists would far prefer this over cracking open Sublime or Notepad.. to each their own.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Wierd, according to the steam page this a separate Ukrainian voice over. Also fully voiced in English btw

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Those devkits are complex to use and usually require a full install of the SDK are no where near the ease of open data files.

Also judging by the UE4 forums, lots of "simple" things are very complex via that route.

I can make massive changes to any of the three STALKER games with notepad alone.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though, could you provide some examples of UE4 games that are fully moddable? I.e. don't have cooked archives and allow full access to the data files?

Ark and Conan Exiles come to mind.
Both let you completely modify the game and test those changes in a Sandbox environment.

The Dev Kits are no harder than using Unreal as you normally would to make a game. That can be Complex or Simple depending on your experience / familiarity with the tool but if you've modded one Unreal game, you've modded them all, it's always the same flow / pipeline. No need to learn a convoluted new Engine or Tech Stack.

Generally Game modders / Artists would far prefer this over cracking open Sublime or Notepad.. to each their own.

That sounds great for TCs, but awful for small modifications. The great thing about all three stalker games is how easy they've been to make small mods that are easy to merge with other mods.

Also made it super easy to change things that I didn't like in big mods.

ADL

Prophet
No EGS exculsivity.

Chernobyl Exclusion Zone has changed dramatically after the second massive explosion in year 2006. Violent mutants, deadly anomalies, warring factions have made the Zone a very tough place to survive. It turned out that the center of the Zone hides the source of incredible power. Nevertheless, artifacts of unbelievable value attracted many people called S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s, who entered the Zone for their own risk striving to make a fortune out of it or even to find the Truth concealed in the Heart of Chernobyl.

EPIC NONLINEAR STORY IN SEAMLESS OPEN WORLD
Take over a role of the lone stalker and explore photorealistic seamless open world in a 64-km² radioactive zone with a variety of environments that reveal post-apocalyptic atmosphere from different angles. Make your way through the Zone to define your destiny as you choose your paths within highly branching epic story.

VARIETY OF ENEMIES AND HUNDREDS OF WEAPON COMBINATIONS
Meet members of different factions deciding who of them worth your friendship and who deserve a bullet. Engage intense gunfights with a variety enemies that follow different tactics trying to outsmart you. Choose your preferable firearms from 30+ types of weapons with numerous modifications that allow creating hundreds of distinctive lethal combinations.

LEGENDARY MUTANTS WITH DIFFERENT BEHAVIOUR MODELS
Prepare to encounter horrifying mutated creatures that will try to slaughter you following different behaviour model. Each mutant may appear in different subtypes which makes their behaviour less predictible. Truly extreme danger represent regions with lairs with numerous mutants hunting in large groups.

ARTIFACTS OF INCREDIBLE VALUE AND UNFORGIVING ANOMALIES
The most valuable artifacts and secrets of the Zone are hidden in the most dangerous places. Beware of the hazardous anomalies and unique devastating arch-anomalies as you hunt for highly valuable artifacts scattered around the Zone. Will you dare to unveil the mysteries of the Zone that took lives of many others before you?

Discover legendary S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe and experience:
  • Unique gameplay built on a blend of FPS, horror and immersive sim
  • Non-linear story with the variety of paths that lead to one of the several endings
  • Benchmark-setting graphics developed using cutting-edge photogrammetric and scanning technologies
  • Advanced artificial intelligence systems that will keep engaged even the most hard-boiled players
  • Life-simulating system “A-life 2.0” that makes the game world feel alive as never before
  • Immersive survival mechanics like hunger, sleeping, bleeding, radiation effects that enrich the gameplay
  • Dynamic day-night cycle and weather will add even more realism to the gameplay experience
  • Mod support giving the freedom to the creative players to extend and enrich the game universe
GOOD HUNTING, STALKER!

Also DLC plans.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R._2_Deluxe_616_x_353.png

DELUXE EDITION INCLUDES:
  • Additional Story-Based Side Quest
  • Single Player: 1 Costume Skin & 3 Weapon Skins
  • Multiplayer: 2 Costume Skins & 3 Weapon Skins
  • Digital Artbook
  • Digital Soundtrack
PRE-ORDER DELUXE EDITION NOW TO GET EXCLUSIVE BONUSES:
  • Extended Campfire Content: more guitar tunes and tales that you can hear in the game around the stalkers' campfires
  • 'Early Bird' Weapon Skin
  • 'Early Bird' Costume Skin
  • 'Early Bird' Multiplayer Badge
  • Steam Pack: Animated Avatar, Animated Avatar Frame & Animated Profile Background

ULTIMATE EDITION
S.T.A.L.K.E.R._2_Ultimate_616_x_353.png

ULTIMATE EDITION INCLUDES:
  • Season Pass With Access to All Future DLCs, Including 2 Story Expansions
  • Additional Story-Based Side Quest
  • Single Player: 1 Costume Skin & 3 Weapon Skins
  • Multiplayer: 3 Costume Skins & 7 Weapon Skins for Multiplayer
  • Digital Artbook
  • Digital Soundtrack
PRE-ORDER ULTIMATE EDITION NOW TO GET EXCLUSIVE BONUSES:
  • Extended Campfire Content: more guitar tunes and tales that you can hear in the game around the stalkers' campfires
  • 'Early Bird' Weapon Skin
  • 'Early Bird' Costume Skin
  • 'Early Bird' Multiplayer Badge
  • Steam Pack: Animated Avatar, Animated Avatar Frame & Animated Profile Background

Very strange that they're selling multiplayer bonuses when they're not even listing a multiplayer mode on the store page yet.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
That sounds great for TCs, but awful for small modifications. The great thing about all three stalker games is how easy they've been to make small mods that are easy to merge with other mods.

I think you'd benefit from giving it a try before comparing or worrying about this vs that.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I think you'd benefit from giving it a try before comparing or worrying about this vs that.

Yep, fair enough. I'll withhold judgement till I've seen what we can do with the finished product.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Seems they want to protect the integrity of their paid campfire stories for now.
v9fBsQ7.png

You want those exclusive drunken stalker stories you worm? Then pay the 140 dollar preorder price that includes our next 20 story expansions slated to release up until 2030 and bonus DLC skins for a possible multiplayer mode we haven't even started working on!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Oh yeah system requirements from the store page.

• MINIMUM:
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X / Intel Core i5-7600K
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    • Storage: 150 GB available space

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X / Intel Core i7-9700K
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
    • Storage: 150 GB available space

ADL

Prophet
150GB? Jesus Christ.
I have the storage and plenty to spare but that's almost half of what the Series S has onboard and 1/5th of the Series X

Curratum

The only positive takeaway I got from the store page is the map size - they're listing 64 sq km, which is the size of the Hunter Call of the Wild reserves and those maps are HUGE to traverse on foot, like, REALLY HUGE, probably bigger than the Call of Chernobyl All-3-Games-Maps-Mashup together.

ferratilis

Magister
Just like many were predicting: thanks to advances in technology, developers will just get lazier. 150 GB, wtf. Even Flight Simulator was trimmed in half recently.

ADL

Prophet
STALKER physical editions announced

It's cool that the steelbook edition will be free though.

Last edited:

Curratum

Fun fact - you can buy the exact same faction patches that ship with the Limited and Deluxe editions on Aliexpress for about 1-2 EUR.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The only positive takeaway I got from the store page is the map size - they're listing 64 sq km, which is the size of the Hunter Call of the Wild reserves and those maps are HUGE to traverse on foot, like, REALLY HUGE, probably bigger than the Call of Chernobyl All-3-Games-Maps-Mashup together.
From my experience, 3x the size not means 3x the content, more like 3x the size of one game with the same content of one game and while that sounds cool, walking for miles on empty maps gets old pretty quickly. Unless they plan to use procedural generation to fill those areas with something to do, maybe placing rare anomalies that you need to hunt on really dangerous areas with high probability of spawning more dangerous mutants would be cool but I dont have my hopes up for that.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
From my experience, 3x the size not means 3x the content, more like 3x the size of one game with the same content of one game and while that sounds cool, walking for miles on empty maps gets old pretty quickly. Unless they plan to use procedural generation to fill those areas with something to do, maybe placing rare anomalies that you need to hunt on really dangerous areas with high probability of spawning more dangerous mutants would be cool but I dont have my hopes up for that.

I can just imagine those 20 minute walks between Minimap "explore this icons" with procedurally generated terrain stamps and speed tree clumps with randomly spawning enemies.. Mnnn that Stalker sensation I've grown to love.

Hello, Stalker Creed: Chernobyl

Curratum

The amount of retards posting with the implication that they somehow expected an expensive, UE4 game releasing in 2022 to be a PC exclusive and will now not buy it because it is also on consoles is staggering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom