Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Curratum

how can you judge an entire language based on some mod with low-quality amature voiceacting? I reckon an average non-slav wouldn't be able to distinguish ukrainian mova from russpeak.

The mod simply used the original game's audio, but the Ukrainian version, produced by the devs, it wasn't audio from the mod.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I guess it is understandable and most people will support them there but it still seems kinda knee-jerk, reactive move. If the story will now reflect the current post-invasion situation they could have for example Russian special forces present in the Zone as the hostile faction (and they would obviously be speaking Russian). Or they could also have Russian NPCs who switched side and stand with Ukrainians, I think if anything that would annoy nationalistically minded Ruskies much more than the wholesale purge.
I mean I'd be pretty knee-jerk reactive too if my country gets bombed. It's purely emotional and emotional usually goes for the direct option (in my experience).
Not much nuance involved.

Much more understandable than randos in the US that don't actually give a shit, virtue signalling the hell out of it.

Curratum

Ukrainian sounds like a mutilated version of Russian that is just unpleasant to my ears. :( Can't really do much to help that.

Gargaune

Magister
stalker2-soon.jpg

I remember a time when words meant things.

Gargaune

Magister
Weird it's almost as if some event may have delayed the development of Stalker 2.
That's not what I mean, I'm talking about GOG slapping the word "SOON" on a release that's still eighteen months away. I just never realised Chris Roberts got a job at CD Projekt.

Curratum

Soon is now the general placeholder for any release that wants to have a store page and online visibility, while the devs still have no idea when it will be done. Everyone does that now, especially smaller devs on Steam. I've been waiting on games with "Soon" in their release date placeholder for multiple years. Then I got sick of the devs' shit and just de-wishlisted them.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
In all honesty, I never had high hopes for this being released in a good timeframe even without the current situation. The current Ukraine conflict is probably a wonderful excuse for Sergay.

Sergay is a chronic fucker-up of projects. Just look at the dev history of the first STALKER game. Dean Sharpe often gets blamed for watering down Shadows of Chernobyl, but the truth is the game was a fucking mess before he forced them to consolidate and release something.

Some autist posted an almost 2 hour video a couple years back where he went through every single alpha and beta build of SHOC and explained what was changed/added (it's a long ass video, but actually super interesting). It really gives you the sense of the development hell that the game was going through:

mondblut

Arcane
Soon is now the general placeholder for any release that wants to have a store page and online visibility, while the devs still have no idea when it will be done.

I thought the word for it is "eventually" or "some day", not "soon" :roll:

Cassar

Savant
Sergay is a chronic fucker-up of projects. Just look at the dev history of the first STALKER game. Dean Sharpe often gets blamed for watering down Shadows of Chernobyl, but the truth is the game was a fucking mess before he forced them to consolidate and release something.

Nobody should blame Sharpe, because we would never have gotten anything without him. Just look at this little excerpt:

"Stalker lost a zone, lost monsters - lost zombies, according to Yavorsky - lost vehicles, and the artificial intelligence was redesigned. But the biggest thing Dean Sharpe faced backlash over was cutting sleep. "The plan was still to have resting in Stalker," he says. "For me, from my standpoint, it wasn't that tough of a call. I was looking at the test reports and the amount of bugs associated with this feature. I didn't see the value based on the number of bugs it was creating. We could get rid of half-a-bug-report by cutting one feature. It was a no-brainer." But the community felt otherwise."

https://www.eurogamer.net/dean-sharpe-sent-to-save-stalker

So, the sleeping feature was causing half of the bugs in the game and the devs were going in circles not nowhing what to do. Jesus. These guys at the time were a bunch of 20 something kids who wanted to make the game to end all games. It was never gonna happen, so you needed a fixer like Sharpe to actually ship a game this millenium. And we got some of the best games in the entire medium as a result, even if every fantasy feature the devs wanted didn't materialize

Wunderbar

Arcane
I've never seen anyone blaming Dean Sharpe for the state of SHOC, usually he's being praised for an effective management. 4A (comprised of former SHOC and SCS devs) even invited him to be their CEO.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never seen anyone blaming Dean Sharpe for the state of SHOC, usually he's being praised for an effective management. 4A (comprised of former SHOC and SCS devs) even invited him to be their CEO.

He still occasionally gets blame on some communities for dumbing down the game, but the truth is (as Cassar references) he just forced them to consolidate and get someone that was actually half finished out.

Most of the mystical cut features that the community used to bitch about were never actually fully implemented or past the concept stage. In some cases they had extremely buggy implementations in the beta versions.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Looks like GSC got desperate to release at least something, so they are now making a console port of old STALKER games.

P7wuoSx.jpg

This guy leaked the current build. Take it with a grain of salt, it may as well be some fan mod.

toughasnails

I mean I can see the veteran stalkers laughing at something like that but it makes perfect sense, it's something they should've done long ago. As long as it is done at least semi competently it will secure them another steady stream of income.

I mean I can see the veteran stalkers laughing at something like that but it makes perfect sense, it's something they should've done long ago. As long as it is done at least semi competently it will secure them another steady stream of income.

Porting old STALKER trilogy to consoles would be a total fucking disaster given the broken nature of these games... They're the textbook definition of Eurojank.

Dodo1610

Arcane

Porting old STALKER trilogy to consoles would be a total fucking disaster given the broken nature of these games... They're the textbook definition of Eurojank.

Publishers are even releasing games 20 year old German shovelware to the PS5.
51M1lu5rvSS._AC_SY780_.jpg
So yeah they really should make console versions.

Last edited:

Cassar

Savant
Looks like GSC got desperate to release at least something, so they are now making a console port of old STALKER games.

P7wuoSx.jpg

This guy leaked the current build. Take it with a grain of salt, it may as well be some fan mod.

It's probably some fake mod shit, apparently it even got disproved by some gsc employee on discord according to reddit. It wouldnt even make sense to port them to consoles due to the nature of its design. Long distance firefights, with the enemies being 2 pixels requiring pin point accuracy with a projectile balistics model for weapons. You could never play the games with a pad in a way that makes sense or feels good. Looking at the videos, the weapons have recoil removed, the enemies barelly seem to function and react, they do no damage, the camera control seems woobly. Looks like some hacked barelly functional mod made by one dude trying to sell it as a console port.

There are a lot of games that just dont function on consoles. Dont function with a gamepad. Stalker is one of those. I for one hope they will never in the history of manking come to any consoles. I always take joy in dirrecting a console tard to the PC world if he wants to play them and tell him to fuck off then when he asks about controller support. I hope i get to keep this small joy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom