Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

I loved the METRO games but STALKER was even better, I found it more brutal and the realism factor just added to the overall experience

STALKER takes a while to get into unlike the Metro franchise, but I prefer it myself.

Everyone of course hates the Complete mod, but I used it to play all three games and I can't play them without the much needed graphical boost (as well as maxing out difficulty because Complete makes the games easier).

Also, Complete really makes the AI buggy, and it's something that I got used to, e.g. the bandoliers stuck in an infinite loop of sitting/standing around the campfires, LOL.

Back to STALKER 2: Heart of Chernobyl...

I hope GSC Gameworld has uploaded all assets to the cloud and are able to relocate their studio much like 4A Games (Metro franchise) did by moving operations to Malta in 2014.

I felt the urge to post something about the unlimited fountain of creativity that the Russian invasion offers for a future STALKER 3, but that's me thinking about the conflict as a Yank on the other side of the Atlantic.

Any inclusion of the Russian invasion in future games would be horribly tasteless and insensitive on the part of GSC Game World.

Last edited:

Onionguy

Educated
the conflict, whether we like it or not, will inevitably affect the depiction of ukrainian military presence in the zone, they won't be as much morally grey as they were in the past any more.

Riskbreaker

United Nations
You know, even if the Complete mod wasn't what you admit it to be, the fact that it is more than a decade old release from a very active modding community ought encourage you to try something different.
Something like Memories of the Zone gives you more up-to-date visual boost whilst being true to original aesthetics, gives you actual bugfixes, doesn't alter the storyline, has all its gameplay altering aspects as optional. So it's like Complete without its considerable baggage.

Really, as much as you can get that impression from what is popular in the Stalker community, not all recentish releases are massively game-altering, Misery-fied nut-kickers.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most of the visual mods in complete are extremely out of date anyway at this point. You could probably get better visuals by just seeking the individual mods that were in use by Complete and downloading the more up to date versions.

Also as Riskbreaker says, there are plenty of vanilla plus style mods that are much better than Complete ever was. Not everything the stalker community makes is soup style mods.

toughasnails

the conflict, whether we like it or not, will inevitably affect the depiction of ukrainian military presence in the zone, they won't be as much morally grey as they were in the past any more.
Not necessarily, as a rule Eastern Europeans tend to be p cynical about institutions of their respective countries. I imagine that the Army will still be depicted as prone to corruption, smuggling, bullying...
What we'll probably see is maybe units of Russian soldiers as enemies, maybe as (if not necessarily main) baddie characters and enemy faction pursuing some nefarious purpose in the Zone.

What would completing development of STALKER 2 look like if Russia wins the war?

Would GSC be able to continue operating in Kyiv under Putin, or would they have to relocate their team to Western (non-Russian occupied) Ukraine or outside of the country altogether?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What would completing development of STALKER 2 look like if Russia wins the war?

Would GSC be able to continue operating in Kyiv under Putin, or would they have to relocate their team to Western (non-Russian occupied) Ukraine or outside of the country altogether?
Hold on, let me send an e-mail to Putin and we'll see what he answers.

Wunderbar

Arcane

why would Putin cancel this game?
A likelier outcome would be Grigorovich cancelling the game himself just to spite russians.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

why would Putin cancel this game?
A likelier outcome would be Grigorovich cancelling the game himself just to spite russians.

If there was ever a game to begin with. I'm still not convinced the whole thing wasn't a scam to sell NFTs and pre-orders.

Assuming it isn't a scam, I doubt we'll see it for long ass time. With how things are going, I assume many of the devs will be fighting (and unfortunately, dying).

I just hope Sergay is marched straight to the most dangerous part of the front lines. It would be rather karmic considering his previous backstabbing and betrayal of previous GSC staff.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
That shit they showed for the game is 100% fake LOL

They'll have something playable by december 2023 and it will look totally different and GSC will be like "Ahh jeez dude, I'm on these pills bro and Russia destroyed our servers so we had to start from scratch... "

JDR13

Arcane
Something like Memories of the Zone gives you more up-to-date visual boost whilst being true to original aesthetics, gives you actual bugfixes, doesn't alter the storyline, has all its gameplay altering aspects as optional. So it's like Complete without its considerable baggage.

Is there something similar for Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat?

They'll have something playable by december 2023 and it will look totally different and GSC will be like "Ahh jeez dude, I'm on these pills bro and Russia destroyed our servers so we had to start from scratch... "

You think they have all STALKER 2 assets on physical servers or has everything been uploaded to cloud storage?

I'm not an IT guy, so this is something I know next to nothing about.

I looked up GSC Game World on Google, and was surprised to discover that their current 2022 employee head count is listed as "300:"

SOURCE: https://g.co/kgs/BRtqjj

That's a lot of people for what I thought was nothing but a tiny game development studio.

Given their latest tweet, that the development of STALKER 2 has "shifted to the sidelines," and that their "families and friends are either trying to find shelter from bombings or are actively assisting those who has already suffered from the occupants," I don't see development resuming for at least 6 months, if not being turned into pure vaporware and being released 5, maybe even 10 years down the road.

By that time, the graphics will be totally outdated and the end product could end up resembling Duke Nukem Forever (the original STALKER featured outdated graphics when it was released in 2007).

I wish GSC was smart like 4A Games and at least created a backup studio in a neutral country; according to my source, Putin has been deploying troops to the eastern Ukraine border for at least the past 10 months, so it's safe to say that GSC was given a fairly lengthy advance notice.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You think they have all STALKER 2 assets on physical servers or has everything been uploaded to cloud storage?

I'm almost sure they don't.

My company has an office in Kiev, and we deal with banking software. Our projects are interconnected, so we continuously work on software made by other teams.

You think they had any backup? lmao

For management it's always waste of time to do backups, because somebody would have to spend time to do it, and he can work on the project instead. Gotta save some $$$$

Now if russkies bomb the building or even just cut off power then we are fucked all over the world in the company :lol:

Think a gaming company with main office there would be more cautious?

They're personally affectted by the conflict so my honk-honk is for the situation itself.

feb 24
Russian troops are attacking Ukraine

As of today, the Russian Federation has officially declared war on Ukraine. Our country woke up with the sounds of explosions and weapons fire, but is ready to defend its freedom and independence, for it remains strong and ready for anything. The future is unknown, but we hope for the best, are ever sure of our Armed Forces and our belief in Ukraine.

We thus address all of our colleagues in the gaming industry — players, bloggers or anyone who sees this post in their newsfeed: share this, do not stand aside and help those in need.

Special aid account to support the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
UA843000010000000047330992708
Transfers are possible from all over the globe.

Through pain, death, war, fear and inhuman cruelty, Ukraine will persevere. As it always does.

GSC Game World

I suggest they change it to the BR spelling, anyway.

store page said:
Explore a vasta Zona de Exclusão de Tchornóbil, repleta de inimigos perigosos, anomalias letais e artefatos poderosos. Viva a sua própria história épica enquanto tenta alcançar o Coração de Tchornóbil.

ADL

Prophet
On February 24, at 5 am, the Russian Federation attacked Ukraine: our homes, our children, our lives. The media in Russia (and they are all controlled exclusively by the government) tell you that Ukraine is overrun with "fascists" and the Russian troops do not destroy houses, killing civilians. This is a lie, the most disgusting and cynical.

Ukraine and its inhabitants will fight to the last breath - for their freedom and their right to choose. For what you couldn't achieve.

We are developers from Ukraine. And it will always be so.

You have the right to believe what you want. But if you care about the truth, then this is it. Indifference to politics has no place where death steps. Every penny of taxes that go to the Russian Federation is financing the murder of our children and loved ones, the destruction of our cities.

A few important points:
  1. Digital editions. Already completed pre-orders remain valid, new ones are not accepted.
  2. Physical editions. Will not be available even to those who have already pre-ordered. For a refund, please contact the stores where you pre-ordered.
  3. You can return any pre-order. If you encounter any difficulties, please contact the technical support of the payment system through which you made the purchase.
  4. We don't regret losing that part of the community that supports the war with Ukraine.
  5. We know that there are people who are aware of what is happening and support Ukraine in this war. And you will also face the impossibility of buying. Separation is not possible.
This is our last publication in the social network VK. If you would like to continue to follow the news about our games, you can do so on our other sites

Glory to Ukraine!
https://vk.com/wall-172977273_152424

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
The development has been suspended until the it's safe for the team to get back to work. So don't expect the game to be coming out this year. But this game is still happening, yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom