Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still don't get it; they owe half of their games’ popularity to the awesome overhauls and mods like Lost Oblivion, Anomaly, Call of Chernobyl, Misery etc and they decided to go with an engine reknown for it’s inability for modifications and changes?
Why couldn’t they reach a deal with 4A and get the Metro engine? It looks damn fantastic, it’s highly optimized over different settings and looks has state of the edge technology and support
Unreal 4
Epic store exclusive fo sho
Not moddable...

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Unless you're AAA, UE is essentially the default these days.
Well, not just UE. Unity is very common as well. Alternatively, there's Cry Engine and Amazon Lumberyard (more or less the same thing), all of which are pretty moddable.

From what I've heard, Cry engine is a bitch to work with

Theres been a million mod projects for every cryengine game................and not a single one has ever come out . Yeah..

Silva

Arcane
While the mods made this series what it is, these days I prefer to play on my PS4-TV-couch. So if being Unreal Engine means it may come out for for consoles at some point, I'm all for it.

And speaking frankly, I think the mods mania became overrated. The early mods like Misery 1 and Autumn Aurora made the game realise it's true potential but everything that came after is just gimmicks or side-steps: Misery 2 is a nonsensic inventory simulation, Call of Chernobyl is a great technical feat but little else, and Gunslinger is an animation showcase by russians who hoped to get hired by AAA companies but failed.

Last edited:

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Unreal has plenty of mod support, you can straight up download some toolkits from the same launcher as the engine, the developer just needs to account for it. Now, will they do that?

ADL

Prophet
Unless you're AAA, UE is essentially the default these days.
Well, not just UE. Unity is very common as well. Alternatively, there's Cry Engine and Amazon Lumberyard (more or less the same thing), all of which are pretty moddable.
CryEngine is no longer royalty free and Lumberyard is just modified CryEngine with an agreement that if you have multiplayer in your game, it'll be 100% AWS-based. If you're gonna pay 5% no matter what, why not go with the better option(UE4)?

Also CryEngine still has closed source components while UE4 is fully open sourced. Unless you have a very specific reason to go with CryEngine over UE4 like the global illumination features, it seems like you'd only want to use CryEngine to "be different from everyone else".

Why couldn’t they reach a deal with 4A and get the Metro engine? It looks damn fantastic, it’s highly optimized over different settings and looks has state of the edge technology and support
Unreal 4
Epic store exclusive fo sho
Not moddable...
4A's engine is just as unsuitable for a STALKER 2 as UE4 is... Without the moddability, without the open sourced nature of the engine, without the widespread support and documentation.

Continuing X-Ray development was the only other viable option for their game and they didn't have the staffing for it. They fucked up letting everyone go over to 4A and Vostok (Survarium) but what's done is done.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I didn't have a problem with UE4 until i went AMD lmao.

Is moddability really off limits on this engine? Can't they modify enough shit to make customization possible?

Lul who am i kidding this game will be popamole shit anyway.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Saying that modding is what made the STALKER games what they are is bullshit really. So many mods wouldn't even exist if there wasn't a great game at the core to inspire people to work off of. Unlike many series the STALKER games even managed to progressively improve themselves with each iteration to where the last game barely even needed community patching. And what do the vast majority of STALKER mods amount to anyway: endless rebalancing which inevitably feels like impotent tinkering at a system the modders have no real control over, excessive animation mods that border on masturbatory, or mods that add in far too many new weapons for the basic framework of the game to even support, and finally kitchen sink mods which mix all of the above into a tasteless mess. Other than Lost Alpha, which is a buggy incomplete disaster, is there a single significant content (content like new unique areas and narratives, not 30 different photo scanned weapons with laser sights that don't look like they belong in the base game at all) mod to speak of.

I think this game will be shit for many other reasons but I couldn't care less if the game is not inviting to hordes of drama queen modders looking to make a name for themselves.

ADL

Prophet
Modding turned STALKER from a throwaway experience into something that has had over a decade of longevity (primarily by making use of the A-Life system to it's full potential). Modding is primarily the reason why Morrowind is actively discussed to this day and Gothic 1/2 aren't.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Modding turned STALKER from a throwaway experience into something that has had over a decade of longevity (primarily by making use of the A-Life system to it's full potential). Modding is primarily the reason why Morrowind is actively discussed to this day and Gothic 1/2 aren't.

In Germany and eastern Europe Gothic is still very relevant because most mods are either made in Polish German or Russian. With huge 100h+ mods being made to this day, I am kinda shocked people here don't know that G1 and G2 got modkits that are about as powerful than the ones for the Bethesda games.

ADL

Prophet
What? Gothic is discussed all the time and the reason it didn't need modding because it was actually good.
Discussed here and regionally. Outside of codex, it's almost entirely irrelevant.

In Germany and eastern Europe Gothic is still very relevant because most mods are either made in Polish German or Russian. With huge 100h+ mods being made to this day, I am kinda shocked people here don't know that G1 and G2 got modkits that are about as powerful than the ones for the Bethesda games.
Didn't know about the modding scene for Gothic but the mods I did see while searching for some examples were all basic texture swaps.

Silva

Arcane
I don't want discussion, I want a good game.

Deus Ex 1, System Shocks, UFO, JA2, etc. were great at release. There's no reason STALKER 2 couldn't be great at release too.

thesecret1

Arcane
Didn't know about the modding scene for Gothic but the mods I did see while searching for some examples were all basic texture swaps.
Well then obviosuly, you didn't look very well. I had a good time playing through what's basically a total conversion mod a year back. Of course, few are translated to English, but there's lots of localizations to most slavic languages and to German

Tancred

Learned
I hope they realise SoC levels/map design with CoP polish for the systems is the way to go. It'd also be cool if they borrowed Dying Light's idea of making night time super dangerous.

The cynic in me is not feeling too positive about UE4 though.

BTW whoever they get for the soundtrack and ambient/environmental sounds has a lot to live up to as well.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Funny you mention that, I always wondered why none of the STALKER mods attempted something similar to what Dying Light did. It really adds a lot of tension and planning to your exploration. Well, until you realize those super zombies in DL are both incredibly blind and stupid that is.
Something as simple as increased mutant activity/spawns during nighttime would already spice things up, and it would be a hell of a lot less exploitable than it is in a game like DL.

Wunderbar

Arcane

ETzGH3dXgAY47SL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom