Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - coming September 5th

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I thought they're using some obsolete fork of openxray.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Are they gonna add quests to Anomaly that aren't a total grind? Inventory management is even worse. The whole experience is insufferable.
Forget about CoC, Anomameme and their many variations. Just stick to the good stuff, just play one of the many amazing mods for SoC or CoP.

Curratum

The real issue with Stalker is that you can only do so much without people producing new levels / maps. I can only think of a tiny handful of Russian mods that add quality new maps. With the need to build the levels in 3d studio, the entry barrier to producing something new for the engine is raised tremendously, I feel.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
The real issue with Stalker is that you can only do so much without people producing new levels / maps. I can only think of a tiny handful of Russian mods that add quality new maps. With the need to build the levels in 3d studio, the entry barrier to producing something new for the engine is raised tremendously, I feel.

This is a big thing.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
What about the maps used in Lost Alpha? A lot of them are really good, even if LA itself doesn't make very good use of them. Are there legal reasons they can't be used?

What about the maps used in Lost Alpha? A lot of them are really good, even if LA itself doesn't make very good use of them. Are there legal reasons they can't be used?
probably not. But modders of all stripes get really autistic if you want to use their assets. Even asking for permission is a grievous insult. The Stalker modding community is very similar to the Skyrim community in this regard. Lots of inflated egos. Most would rather not deal with the drama.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
probably not. But modders of all stripes get really autistic if you want to use their assets. Even asking for permission is a grievous insult. The Stalker modding community is very similar to the Skyrim community in this regard. Lots of inflated egos. Most would rather not deal with the drama.

A lot of those LA maps are just slightly modified versions of the maps in old alpha/beta builds.

Edit: Jinn, not sure why you're so butthurt about this. The cordon/factory level used in LA was first added in Build 1114 and developed heavily across future alpha/beta builds before being refined into the current cordon.

The LA devs just took a map from one of the later builds and used that as their base.

The garbage map used in LA is also almost wholesale based off the one that appeared in Build 1114, it even uses most of the horrific old 2002 textures.

The Rostok/Bar map in LA is also lifted straight from the one that was in Build 1114.

Most of the other "changed" vanilla maps are also ones taken from older builds.

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
buildfags, rejoice! there's some brand new STUFF. as far as i can tell this is mostly old design docs

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SFthBJaVyWhJEUFImmk-w564qKKuCoqA

password: cancelled-2012

no context pics:

3hGudFbYAgk.png

mr stalker j smith

hZCiH2dzgJY.png

crude mockup of the inventory for the xbox version (lol)

nyk_Pk7_gOI.jpg

??

unknown.png

nice placeholder text

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
actually they just seem to be mockups made in photoshop

Most of those do seem to be old mockups, but a couple definitely made it in to alpha and beta builds.

You can see that PDA UI at approx 31:20 in this long ass video dissecting every single build.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
the sons of the builds have struck again today...

15712528634140.png

"GRIGOROVICH, BITCH!!! GREETINGS FROM THE SONS OF THE BUILDS."

they don't strike often, but when they do, they strike hard and share their gains with everyone. i remember going to gameru like every day for new threads about leaked prototypes. today was a momentous day

ADL

Prophet
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/15/stalker-2-dev-update-gameplay-teaser-new-hero/

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Development Update: a Gameplay Teaser and a New Hero

Hi everyone!

GSC Game World here.

The debut S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 trailer at the Xbox Games Showcase was all about the atmosphere. We have made quite a bit of progress since July, and we decided to go forward, sharing an in-engine gameplay teaser. That seems like a neat way to kickstart a new year, right?

Just imagine.

A long and tedious road.

The hostile and treacherous Zone.

Unbelievable treasures that might cost you everything. A blood trial, separating your old life from a new one…

It’s time for a taste of how the game actually feels. Fast-paced changes of scenery, ominous landscapes and the ever-present feeling of an inevitable danger.

You’re seeing this world through the eyes of a stalker named Skif— remember the codename, you will hear it a lot. Following the steps of its predecessors, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 introduces a completely new main protagonist. His actions will shape the new grand chapter in the history of the Zone.

STALKER-2-Image-1.jpg

The short scene takes place in the ruined school on the outskirts of the dead town of Pripyat. That’s an extremely dangerous place, and nobody would like to be here on their will. Still, the place doesn’t seem completely abandoned: there is a freshly started fire with a guitar nearby. However, Skif hardly has time to acknowledge that: he seems in a hurry. It looks like an inevitable danger is following him.

And here it is: an emission. A signature part of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, a powerful release of the anomalous energy from the center of the Zone. Emission happens from time to time and it’s extremely dangerous: it can kill you in the blink of an eye. When a stalker notices a start of emission, they should hide immediately and wait for the end of it, hoping they can get through. So that’s why Skif is in a hurry: he is certainly looking for cover in the nearby building.

STALKER-2-Image-2.jpg

The situation is far from safe, though: the building is half-ruined, and the PDA doesn’t seem to work: the signal is lost. All things considered, it’s easy not to notice someone hiding in the shadows. He does look familiar, though…

Some of our fans may recognize the hardly-distinguishable guitar motive. If this tune evokes your nostalgia feelings, that’s because it’s taken from a “Life Line” song by famous Russian rock band Splean. We found it to fit just perfectly in the scene we created. If you are hearing this tune for the first time, we recommend listening to the full version — it’s sad and moving at the same time. And extremely catchy, if you ask us.

Finally, we would like to finish this update with a development status. We’re progressing smoothly, including Xbox Series X|S versions as well. The aim is to deliver the product of the highest quality possible on every platform it’s announced for. With fast SSD, RTX support (both Series X and S) and 4K-resolution (Series X), we’re pleased to see how S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is shaping up to be the ultimate experience we’ve initially promised.

The exact release date of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is yet to be announced by GSC Game World. But you can be confident the game will come to Xbox Game Pass on day one. We’re more than excited for all the new Xbox fans to experience S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for the first time.

Thanks for your attention and have and have a truly great year! You’ve deserved it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ADL

Prophet
GSC Game World’s PR manager, who is now working on the highly awaited STALKER 2, became a guest on the podcast “Not brought in” Zakhar Bocharov provided detailed responses to several of the hosts’ questions regarding the development of STALKER 2.

Since GSC and Microsoft signed a nondisclosure agreement, Bocharov was unable to respond to every single question, but he did provide some information. One thing he ensured is that the STALKER 2 will be very stable at the release.

• GSC wanted to make a sequel on the original X-Ray engine, but it is outdated. The developers sifted through other options for the actual engines but settled on the Unreal Engine.
  • GSC calls mod support a priority and will try to implement it already in the release version of the game. The modding community is very important for developers. Support for mods on Xbox is also being explored.
  • Bocharov promised that STALKER 2 on release will be much more stable.
  • The life simulation system A-life has become “more meticulous and more detailed.” All interactions between factions, monsters, NPCs will take place even while the player does not see it. “A-life 2.0 is a different level of performance. We’ll pay enough attention to it closer to release. It’s a wildly cool system that works really well and there will be something to show. “Bocharov gave an example of a fight between wild boars, the consequences of which the player can see. He did not disclose what would really work “at a new level”.
  • The open world of the Zone will offer a “non-linear storyline with a huge number of branches and different endings.” It is promised that the Zone will match the scale of history. The single-player mode is the main one in STALKER 2.
https://gamingsym.in/stalker-2-supp...ccording-to-the-pr-manager-of-gsc-game-world/

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If somehow they manage to release something (anything, really) that's a win in my eyes. With a few exceptions, most of the dev team seems underexperienced and underskilled for such an overambitious project such as this (I mean, "one of the biggest, seamless open-worlds to date"? Non-linear story featuring C&C, branching and multiple endings? An improved A-Life system? Get out of here, stalker!). If LinkedIn is anything to go by, GSC is also understaffed in many areas. No wonder the Metro series book writer is always roasting/mocking them any chance he gets.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If somehow they manage to release something (anything, really) that's a win in my eyes. With a few exceptions, most of the dev team seems underexperienced and underskilled for such an overambitious project such as this (I mean, "one of the biggest, seamless open-worlds to date"? Non-linear story featuring C&C, branching and multiple endings? An improved A-Life system? Get out of here, stalker!). If LinkedIn is anything to go by, GSC is also understaffed in many areas. No wonder the Metro series book writer is always roasting/mocking them any chance he gets.
Call of pripyat has new vegas like endings instead of like SoC which is either pick one out of several endings <_>

Maybe they can pull it off

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Hell, CDPR had the advantage of having an up and running studio, housing some of the best talent available, that had access to state-of-the-art technology (including their own), a big fat budget, etc.

If GSC is not careful, they could get carried away, and I doubt they have the safety nets CDPR has.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom