Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Sacred Fire - a psychological RPG about romance, loyalty and revenge - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by poetic, Apr 17, 2014.

1. poetic Poetic Developer

poetic
    Udm, I love this question. It brings back a lot of fun memories. The first inspiration and influence was a funny situation in my childhood: I briefly came into contact with some version of D&D, I borrowed the rule-book from a friend. But the next day, my friend burned the rule-book as he became convinced it's occult literature :) Yes I, know. But it had the inevitable effect that I started to create my own rulesets as I had no idea as a kid where to buy that rule-book.

Then I came across many system in video games. There were things I liked a lot (Fallout traits and perks) and there were things I felt were missing (e.g. the simplicity of the alignment system in D&D. And it's lack of use of Charisma).

But one influence that stand out in my mind is the P&P ruleset The Riddle of Steel, with its intricate set of detailed combat rules. So the takeaway from it was: it's a source of fun to focus on one area that you are really passionate about.

Then I had some P&P experience. The great thing about P&P is the group of people and the GM. The bad thing about the P&P is the group of people and the GM. So another inspiration was the times when I wanted to do someting out of the box and the GM just wouldn't go for it. Or when someone was out of character and the GM wouldn't call bullshit on it.

Then there was inspiration from books and movies. In fairy tales, the hero wins because he has a magic sword and a magic horse. In serious stories, the hero wins/survives with inner strength: cunning, willpower, beliefs, hope, what have you based on the story.

Then there was the real life experience from rock climbing. Fear affects your performance in a brutal way. Yet all the characters in the RPGs I played perform at peak performance no matter the odds.

My thinking is, the reason why P&P doesn't bring these aspects: personality, emotions, motivation, relations into it's ruleset is that it would bring the live session to a halt for each interaction. So the idea was: with the cRPG experience there would be no slow-down as the computer can run the numbers and determine how likely is it, that you will find the courage to speak up to the bully, and it can crank all the numbers: you predisposition to fear, your history with bullying, your history with this character, his appearance, his renown and allies + the circumstances you are in and who is witnessing the situation.

I really hoped some would make such an cRPG. I remember thinking Peter Molineaux would do it, when he first started to talk about the first Fable. Lol. I got to run around and kick a chicken and fight a dragon, again. Or the next Elder Scrolls would do it. No, I got to listen to the arrow wounded knee and run around a vast and shallow world, again. That being said, I do like the Witcher games and the Shadowrun games. They have serious focus on storytelling and characters, where the devs don't just think about WHO the characters are, but WHO YOU get to be to these characters.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. poetic Poetic Developer

poetic
    Guys, we really appreciate it. It means a lot to us.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. udm Arcane Patron

udm
    Heh somewhere at the back of my mind, I suspected TRoS would come up ;)

^ Top  
  4. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    On a scale of 1 to Absolute Storyfag, where do you stand.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. poetic Poetic Developer

poetic
    [​IMG]

Ok, on a serious note, my goal when designing Sacred Fire was to integrate the story and the gameplay as much as possible, so there's no switching back and forth between the narrative and the combat as you play the game. It breaks the immersion. I want the story and the choices to be the main challenge for the player. This might also offer a lot of opportunities in the future to adapt any story into this format.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  6. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Dead or alive? This was/is one of the biggest things I've been looking forward to.

^ Top  
  7. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    very much alive. they just sent the text based preview to backers earlier this week. it's pure story/dialogue/CYOA, but that element of the game is very good. how the actual RPG mechanics will play out is still an open question.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. PulsatingBrain Huge and Ever-Growing Patron

PulsatingBrain
    Is it still possible to back? I missed this until now and it looks great

^ Top  
  9. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    poetic

will the romance part of this RPG be sufficiently red-pilled?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    poetic

i played the text based preview and love it. it really is an RPG of emotions. the writing is concise and firm, no need for an elaborate paragraphs of prose, it just do its job quite well. it might be a bit dry for some people, but i myself prefer that style of writing especially in games. characters, atmosphere, etc are spot on and i love the little percentage check.

how much game system is put in it? the text based previews doesnt track any stat yet, but in the full game, when i choose to feel angry at wid or guilty at him will that change anything in my character like stats, or future interaction with the characters involved, etc? will there be a consequence if i flip-flop my emotions like a bipolar dude? will there be more checks on focusing and thinking? will there be consequences when you actually think too much? it really has great potential, the preview is great and the full game wth fully implemented mechanics and system should be a damn lot better. great work.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    When is this coming out :despair:

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    ^ Top  
  13. poetic Poetic Developer

poetic
    Thank you for the feedback, HoboForEternity! We really appreciate it and we're happy you liked the preview.

Also, great questions regarding the emotions in gameplay. I guess the most important thing here is that there are checks to make sure that it's hard for you to act out of character. So for example, if you make a couple of choices that develop jealousy towards your brother Wid (and it's easy, he's your older brother to who the whole village looks up) then it becomes really hard for you to suppress acting jealously (you'll have to spend limited willpower to increase your chances, but still it won't guarantee you pass the check). So one thing is the story which develops based on your choices, but you also have to be careful how you develop your personality. You might become a monster quickly. Almost every decision impacts your psychological attributes and relationships with NPCs. And the attributes then impact the probabilities when making choices.

There will also be checks on focusing and thinking. Sometimes, it's really hard to focus. You can spend willpower to increase you chances to focus, but it might not always work and you fail to focus.

If anyone here is interested in taking a look at the text-based preview, DM me or send me an email to martin@poeticstudio.com. I'll send you the preview right away.

Thank you for the question, ga♥. It's about 2-3 more months until we have a playable preview for our backers and after that we'll be able to estimate the release date.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    game looks like shit, honestly.

• Shit x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • No x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Iznaliu Arbiter

Iznaliu
    If you've going to go against the nearly-universal praise on this thread, at least bother to come up with a convincing reason why the consensus opinion is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. LubomiRTard Literate

LubomiRTard
    Just came across this title, awesome and noveltious, wish it had RtWp combat tho

• WTF am I reading x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lurker47 Learned

Lurker47
    But that's the worst.

• Agree x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. poetic Poetic Developer

poetic
    Hey LubomiRTard, happy you've found Sacred Fire and greetings to Czechia (we're based in Slovakia). Thanks for the post and the suggestion, I really appreciate it. Yeah, the cinematic visuals of Sacred Fire are conducive to some real-time action, so I understand where you're coming from. But we think that turn-based combat works really well with our narrative style and creates the player experience we'd like to achieve.

^ Top  
  19. LubomiRTard Literate

LubomiRTard
    poetic
    Děkuji! Sure one day I'll play more turn basised as well, loved Krondor many years ago, I just need a bit more beer :D

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    New update:
    https://www.sacredfiregame.com/2018...of-the-preview-what-rpg-rulesets-inspired-us/

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  21. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Oof. Seems thats the latest update. Any life in this one? The twitter account seems like it has life in it but...

^ Top  
  22. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    ^ Top  
  23. daveyd Savant

daveyd
    This is the latest KS comment from about 2 weeks ago:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. HoboForEternity sunset tequila Patron

HoboForEternity
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ogical-rpg-about-revenge-and-lo/posts/2358138

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  25. Kyl Von Kull The Night Tripper Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    Comrades, the demo for Kickstarter backers came out a couple of weeks ago and I’m finally playing it.

Gotta say, I think they’ve done a brilliant job of gamifying psychological decisions and dialogue. Is this the future of social interaction in CRPGs? Can Sacred Fire give Disco Elysium a run for its money?

I’ll do a detailed writeup of my early impressions when I get off work.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.