Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sacred Fire - a psychological RPG about romance, loyalty and revenge - now available on Early Access

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Update #32: Early Preview version 3 delivered to early access backers
Posted by Martin // Sacred Fire RPG (Collaborator)

Hello everyone,

How’s life where you are? Poetic is flying to San Francisco in a couple of days. Our Creative Director Andrej will be there at the GDC the whole week. Let us know if you’re there and would like to chat.

We’ve just delivered version 3 of the Sacred Fire Early Preview to all backers from the Firestarter and higher tiers. Let me know if you’re eligible and haven’t received your copy.

fe25a48b0340d1a2b26fc0cf640d2376_original.jpg

Here’s what’s new in the version 3:

• 1 completely new scene “Escape Pursuers”
  • Level Up and Rank Up rewards when chapter ends
  • 3 strike rule: pay 1 motivation point for failing 3-times at a choice check
  • faster pace of combat in the duel
  • easter eggs, scene progress and Roman reinforcements counters
  • choice unlocking icon
  • emotion extremes in combat fix (control charges not available)
  • fixed risk chain bonus tooltips
  • and more bug fixes.

Have a great weekend!

Martin
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ogical-rpg-about-revenge-and-lo/posts/2447662

i wonder if anyone played it yet. loved the text only preview. but too lowtier ( i am sparkbearer ) to get the more advanced preview.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Comrades, the demo for Kickstarter backers came out a couple of weeks ago and I’m finally playing it.

Gotta say, I think they’ve done a brilliant job of gamifying psychological decisions and dialogue. Is this the future of social interaction in CRPGs? Can Sacred Fire give Disco Elysium a run for its money?

I’ll do a detailed writeup of my early impressions when I get off work.
this never came Kyl Von Kull can you do it for the newest one?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
okay since Kyl Von Kull gave me the keys for his preview copy, it would be a waste to not do anything. i will write something in his stead. sorry for the low quality screenshots because i am using work computer. it's saturday and i literally am here just because i have to show up. previewing this promising game is more productive than whatever i will do today.

first thing first, there is 3 modes of playing:
1. RPG UI: all the stats, percentage, information about a scene, character, your chance of doing something are shown. it is really detailed, packed of information ad have everything you'd expect in an RPG
2. Adventure UI: most of the statistics are hidden, it is a more relaxed play, but the calculations, et cetera still happens in a background
3. Visual Novel: pretty much what it's said. the choices doesn't consider your stats, skills, and all RPG aspects are ignored. it turns the game into CYOA visual novel.

first of all you make a character. the character can be male or female, there is also a differences between male and female character. i will just post the screenshot of character creation:
male character:
QVi2EXc.jpg

female:
MiTclde.jpg

as you can see, there are few minor differences between base stats of female and male character, but i feel with putting your character points and future levelling up, there will be minimal gap between genders. Didn't know how the actual in game content will differ itself.

there are also quite alot of information in those screenshot. see the left part, that is your main stats. your stats determine your performance (the left table). body stats are your physical body's performance, like most of RPGs out there. Mind determine how formidable your brain is in alot of different aspect. both body and mind gets stronger the higher your stats are. now, blocks are the most interesting one. blocks are your mind's limitation. if you notice in the screenshot, the +/- are switched. the lower your blocks, the better your character will be. it cost a skill point to lower your blocks. there are also 3 main "pool" of resources at your disposal: Your vitality, motivation and renown. vitality is basically your HP. Motivation is how strong your will is to push forward breaking your limits. renown is your reputation.

all of these stats affect your performance in alot of ways, some overlapping, some give your performance a boost, some decrease it. your resist performance determine how resistance you are to mental debilitation. Lead is your leadership skill, and how well you manipulate the mind of people around you. Act is simply how well your body reacts under alot of pressure and stress.

body stats :
Strength: so far it affect skill check that require raw muscle power, your damage, it also affect your mental resistances. with higher str, you are more fearless, but become prone to anger outburst. it also affect your force percentage (skillchecks done when jumping, lifting stuff, attacking with melee, etc)
Agility: affect your precision and speed, it also make you less fearful. it affect your speed (skillcheck when running or dodging) and precision (shooting arrows, climbing and your general attack accuracy)
endurance: determine your health. with higher endurance, it makes you able to endure more pain and your force, like strength.
Perception: increase your speed and accuracy, but your sensitive sensory made you less resistance to pain.

mind stat
empathy: mostly affect your leadership skills, how well you can relate to someone. it also reduce your risk to burst into rage.
Intellect: incrase your provoke and intimidation, also reduce your rage and makes you handle your blocks better
Ideals: how strong is your beliefs in people. it affect your ability to encourange and calming down other people.
Favor: how strong is your faith towards the gods. it affect the same thing as ideals.

blocks:
Trauma: are a recollection of bad memories you have had, affect your fear resistances, also decrease your leadership skills
Rage: the higher the value, the more prone you are to anger. it increase your provoking skill and intimidation, but decrease your ability to calm and persuade people
guilt: makes you more resistant to pain, but decrease alot of your leadership skills and your motivation.
addiction: it is actually more addicted to the rush and adrenaline of battle, instead of substance addiction. increase your rage, but reduce your empathy related skills.

that is basically the gist of it, how the stats and resistance interconnected are alot more complex than i bothered to write, but it is easy to understand and there are alot of explanations for it in the game.

these are your intrinsic status of your character. there are other aspect of your character that is extrinsic. the game calls it Influence. most of it are pretty self explanatory so i will just post a screenshot:
FbjvQ9t.jpg

the last aspect are your clothes/outfit customization. there are visual aspect that don't affect any stats or reputation like your hair, your tattoo, and there are outfits customization which affect your reputation and influences. the outfit custumization though, so far don't affect the visual appearance of your character. it is described as these:
1. beauty or menace: basically whether you look more approachable or menacing. if you choose beauty, you will be easy to approach to. it incrase your sympathy, also your persuasion skills. if you pick to be more menacing, it increase your respect and your intimidation skill
2. comfort or prestige: if you pick comfort, it reduce your anger level and tolerance of pain, if you choose prestige your renown and reputation will increase
3.damage/armor: pretty much self explanatory and affect combat.

now we move on to the gameplay itself. at first, it is mostly navigating dialogue and inner CYOA to decide what you do. for example, if you light a torch of not. lighting a torch will make you less fearful but if there are enemies there risk that you are detected etc. it also for example affect your dialogue, whether you can persuade people to bring up painful memories, or how well you muster the courage to bring up your own painful memories. almost all dialogue and actions are a skill check. each successful check gave you experience and increase your beneficial mental stats such as respect or trust, or decrease your mental trauma such as fear or anger. a failure in check do the opposite.

this is for example, after i failed a check to bring up your late mother's memories when talking with your brother
zvx3pgY.jpg

by using your resources, you can also increase your chance of doing something with more success. for example, by using your point in motivation , you can increase the chance of you digging up the courage to persuade your brother to reminisce about your father, once good man turned abusive after your mother's death and drowning in alcohol. you can either dwell on his violence towards you or your sibling and felt anger towards him, or remind yourself that he is once a great man who taught you about combat, hunting, leadership. doing the latter is harder, but will affect you and you become calmer, more rational, less traumatized and less angry.

your decision affect the other characters you are speaking with too. for example, if you convince your brother that it wasn't his fault he cannot protect you during your father's violent episode, it made your brother feel better and less guilty. the left notifications in the screenshot is your stats increasing or decreasing, and the left is the other character you are talking to.
j1BzYwf.jpg

there are also a mechanics called risk chain, which is a high risk, high return scenario that can determine the outcome of alot of events. it is basically a chain of skillchecks, that if you are succeed in the checks, you get a bonus of percentage for the next coming risk chain. for example when you run away from roman's patrol.

overall, it is a really damn interesting game, there are weight to your decisions, minor or major and i think the replayabilty is off the scale. the writing is generally good and the characters, scenarios and others are really interesting. it seems codex hype isn't too high, but i hope this game get into people's radar more.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
yeah. it seems confusing at first because there are so many intereaction , but the UI are actually really intuivitive. if you hover the mouse over the percentages, it shows what stats affect your chances. if you hover on a stat, it also highlight which resistances is affected by the decrease or increase in the stat.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i played twice, once as a guy and once as a girl. there aren't really much of a difference, but the stat bonus does make quite a difference on how you play. it seems that with your status, the mind and blocks are dynamic . you can gain for example more empathy if you choose to be empathetic. the body stat seems to stay permanent until the end of a chapter. how levelling work is, in the end of the chapter all your decisions and experience gained are counted, and you gain rewards. they are skill point that you can use to improve your body also a renown that can improve your reputation with followers, or gain more insight, or meditate to remove your fear or trauma, etc.

so basically the psychology stuff are all dynamic depending on how you play the game, while the physical stuff can only be upgraded at the end of each chapters.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So basically the mind stats are dumpstats?
not really, because they affect your percentages alot too. although, most of the lethal situation (combat) involve physical activity, but there are more regular conversations than combat and your reputation and mental state matters alot too and they lot depend on your mind stat. there is a progress bar towards their upgrade, i will just post. my char sheet at the beginning vs at the end of chapter 1 (where demo ends)
cPbEGMg.jpg
aevjwPx.jpg

you can also avoid combat mostly.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
So basically the mind stats are dumpstats?

In the last version, which I liked a lot, I managed to break the game by pumping intellect and then using motivation points to pass all of the difficult checks. I ended up earning new motivation points much faster than I spent them. They’ve probably fixed the balance somewhat in this latest version, though.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm a backer, and I'm waiting until release to play it. Looks like it's shaping up well according to what was planned.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was just thinking about this game the other day. Figured it was vaporware, but it looks like they've kept on publishing crowdfunding updates this entire time.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Hey guys, it's been a long road, so thanks for sticking around. We are doing this, come hell or high water !

Thanks for posting the updates and impressions from the playable previews here, I appreciate it.
Also thanks for updating the beginning of this thread, this was a nice surprise.

The Iceberg guys are easy to work with and partnering up with them enables us to fulfill the potential the carefully developed and play-tested concept offers.

If you'd like to help wishlist the game on Steam now. Thank you.

z8mm8eQ.gif

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Hey Morgoth,
thank you for your interest and feedback. The previous iteration of character art had less detail, but did received more polish creating a more cohesive look. The new iteration is still fresh, but we'll get soon to the same level of polish and cohesiveness. The amount of detail in the new iteration is quite worth the work. Character creation is central to the experience and RPGs where I don't cringe on the close up look in character creation screen are still very rare.

giGb1mm.jpg

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/900400/view/2879443880718419021

Dear role-playing fan,

I'm Andrej Vojtas, the author of Sacred Fire and I've been a life long designer and gamer of role-playing games. So I know first hand how exhilarating the good parts and how frustrating the bad parts of role-playing games are.

The goal of Sacred Fire is simple: to better recapture in a video game, the experience, and the flow of a Pen & Paper role-playing session. Well, the good parts of it. So while you get all the familiar features you would expect (character creation, choice-making, companions, combat, inventory), the focus is on a fast flow of interesting choices, letting you use your wit to turn the odds into your favor. One scene after the other, in a familiar pen & paper rhythm: this is what happened, what do you do?, roll the dice. This is what happened, etc.

Winning because your grind, or loot dungeons for hours and now have the best sword in the game may be satisfying. But it can never come close to the exhilaration I feel when a flash of genius allows you to outwit an opponent, turn the tide of a lost battle or survive a desperate situation.

I mean, hey game?! How about you let me be smart? The victory of the human intellect and all that.

QWxsET5.jpg

And this is why Sacred Fire is all about the psychology of the characters. All about the little choice we make, that build-up or deteriorate the will and the strength it takes to be courageous in face of danger. To keep your cool under fire. To overcome pain, aversion, or envy. To not let emotions drive you into stupid choices. For it's your very own heart, that hides all the monsters.

So it costs your willpower to be courageous. To stay clam. To be a bigger person. To perform at your peak. And your choices change who you are. It always matters what you do. It matters WHY you do it. It matters HOW you do it.

This way the game offers unprecedented nuance and self-expression. This way it matters who you, the player are.

This way scenes of inner turmoil, or seemingly low-stakes conflict, like winning over a mistrusting child, standing up for yourself, or interpreting a troubled past, in the end, shift the balance of the ultimate threat. As the fate you are trying to avert is nothing less than the total annihilation of your way of life. For Rome has tried to conquer your lands and claim victory over the whole of Britannia for generations.

Will you transcend your own culture and come up with a solution to break the endless circle of violence? Or will you rise as a leader of the resistance and lead your people to victory against the ruthless enemy?

This story is yours to tell.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From last month:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ogical-rpg-about-revenge-and-lo/posts/3145449

Promo Video, Dice Rolling UI, and Screenshots

Dear backers,

I hope this message finds you safe. This month I'm happy to be able to share with you a brand new 2 minutes developer's commentary video.

It's meant to explain what makes Sacred Fire unique to newcomers, and for you our backers who already know that, it shows how the game currently looks and plays. I consider it spoiler-free.

It shows how introducing emotions and willpower-driven performance tackles the age-old problem of the lack of control coming from dice rolling in RPGs, that some people love others hate. The scenes also demonstrate how scene-based tactical choices unite gameplay and story. This way Sacred Fire is a narrative game you truly play, offering more role-playing in less time.

Dice Rolling UI
A big part of the fun is seeing the dice roll results. It's very rewarding to know how lucky you got, and it feels less like a failure when you decided this dice roll is not worth your willpower points and extra effort.

ab4dc72820ec62a4ccc530ec6fe04005_original.jpg

On top of that, the failure results are often as interesting as successes. Unless you are running a Life & Death dice roll about your favorite companion!

465fee4ea5cff792fc1f5659ed00e70f_original.jpg

But that's exactly where you want to spend your willpower points and ensure their survival with effort transcending your limits.

Story Characters roll the dice too and act differently based on the result.

2a1b3f1b820d2ea276ecc99ec03f30f6_original.jpg

You can find more screenshots on our updated Steam page.

Please share Sacred Fire with your Friends on Steam. Thank you! Every voice counts.

Shout-Out
I might have mentioned this game before, as it's such a different way how to combine narrative and tactics compared to what Sacred Fire does, but is still fun to play - Star Dynasties has been released in Early Access and I think it's worth checking out.

Stay safe and have a great Easter holiday.

Best,
Andrej

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom