Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sacred Fire - a psychological RPG about romance, loyalty and revenge - now available on Early Access

poetic

Poetic
Developer
poetic The demo was great! Loved it! I'll be preordering the boxed copy once pay day comes.

Questions:
1) Can important NPCs be killed?
2) How much can you stray from the main path? Are all major scenes in each chapter unavoidable, or are there outcomes that lead to alternative pathways?
Thank you udm, glad you like it.

1) Yes, all important companion characters can die, some of them even by your hand.

2) The Early Access build coming in Fall 2021 has already 2 distinct completely different branches

So you won't see a lot of scenes on 1 single play-trough and when you play-trough the second time you can explore the other branch and have a fresh experience.

What we'll do for the full game is have 3 acts, each with 2 distinct branches. So you get 2 * 2 * 2 = 8 possible variants of scenes order alone. Then some scenes play out differently when you are alone, or when you are with a companion.

And each scene has a lot of solutions - e.g. the bully scene in the demo has 16 different ways how to 'solve' the conflict.

Last edited:

poetic

Poetic
Developer
The demo of sacred fire is definitely the highlight out of 5 something i have played. Congrats. It's just like the backer alhpa but with steroids in term of visuals, UI and general QoL. Too tired to write in depth thoughts now, but it’s definitely my favorite one.
Wow, thank you for letting me know. I'm glad you had a great time with the demo. More goodness is coming :)

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Yeah, I have to chime in with the rest and say it's a really solid demo.

In a way Sacred Fire seems to be something I didn't really know I wanted until trying it - what would in other RPGs really just be "roll a skill to see if you succeed and move on" here it's about breaking down the scene itself into individual bits that can go right or wrong. If the opening part with the deer is how we can expect scenes in general to be structured it's granularity at work backed by all those character stats. Now, it also means every individual action is throwing up modifiers on the screen, without even going into things like enforcing Ideas or not, but I liked the overall pacing constantly moving you forward. Except for the combat because I got the impression I could keep sparring with Morl forever as long as dodging was on the table and my character wasn't combat-centric enough to really dish out sufficient damage because I had plenty of MP to burn to affect Control and roll chances through it. This is something I wouldn't put past failing to understand the system on my end, though.
Yes, all the scenes are written out at the granularity level you see in the demo.

Sacred Fire is all about the tactical exploration of a scene and figuring out how to gain an edge, prepare and be smart about things.

Yes, I've played the scenes hundreds of times, when testing and I still get pulled into the 'just one more choice' pacing from time to time.

Thank you for the feedback bits, this is really useful, I appreciate it.

Well the combat is designed this way - you can take the safer but longer path of just wearing your opponent down. But you could easily run out of motivation if you went for actually hitting the opponent and you build is not high on motivation. Or you or your opponent could go berserk, or freeze up putting you into far more risk etc.

But, again, there is a LOT of tactical options how to gain an edge - use the environment, go for a radical attack, pretend fear, etc. Or how to gain extra renown, if you dare to. See, first of all combat can be avoided. And who said that you need to use it to wear the opponents HP down? You can use it to show off and gain renown for doing daring feats, show dominance on the battlefield etc. And then scare you opponent into submission or fleeing.

Right at the beginning of the combat, your character recalls the lessons when sparring with his older brother, warning the player "Do not just trade blows" "Find a weakness" "If there is none, create one".

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The biggest edge that Sacred Fire has over its competitors is that there's really nothing out there like it at all, whether in vidya or PnP form. It's not a visual novel or gamebook but it has that strong narrative feel; it's not a traditional CRPG but it has a lot of dice slinging and number crunching to simulate actions; it's not a meta-narrative game like FATE or Dungeon World but it has a strong focus on player-driven narratives (not just character-driven) with meta currency that makes sense. In all, I can happily say that Sacred Fire was everything I was expecting from it, and I really hope you guys make a million bucks out of it :)

P.S. As I was playing, I was just thinking this would be the kind of game a hyper autistic GM would run, asking you to roll for everything including what underwear you're wearing :lol:. I see that as a very good thing in this case though, as it really reinforces that PnP feel.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
udm Wait, did you just manage to call me hyper autistic as a compliment? :) You sir, made my day ;)

I really appreciate you taking the time to post. I don't know if Sacred Fire is going to reach a large enough audience for that kind of success. But that's not why I'm in game development to start with, so not terribly worried about it. Of course I have to make a living, so I'm working hard, but I mean that's the thing - if I was motivated mainly by financial success I would be doing what everybody else is doing, the current hot flavor in the RPG genre.

What drives me forward is that I truly believe the existing implementations don't capture the creative problem-solving of a Pen & Paper role-playing session that I love. I think the genre can do much more for a person who loves to immerse themselves into a role defined primarily by the characters worldview and mindset.

It's not even about the 'first ascent' for me, so not terribly worried someone will do this first. And all this allows me to just take the time and implement the design without cutting corners, and address every flaw that weakness the immersion. And then it really fits my temperament, it's not like I want to make big bucks in game dev, so that then I can go and build a life I want to live. I'm lucky that my leisure and favorite past-times cost next to nothing :) taking a hike in the mountains, reading a book. I already feel successful, because writing code, creating interactive scenes, and detailed character art, that's my favorite way of spending time. This way I wake up every morning eager to get working on the game. And I think game dev is really about the time you put in. Well, maybe some people are geniuses. The rest of us has patience :)

poetic

Poetic
Developer
We are currently broadcasting a 'developer play-trough' stream on Steam.

Watch me speak about the principles behind the game design, and walk you trough the game mechanics and the demo scenes.

Can we make front page on Steam? You decide :) We need 300 more viewers to get into the top 6 displayed on the front page :)

rEM35Qp.jpg

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Hey Morgoth,

thank you for letting me know, I do take it as a compliment, all I ever wanted is to implement role-playing that feels more immersive. The game doesn't force you down a dark path, you can make choices that create uplifting moments despite the harsh setting.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I tried to stay on the stream yesterday for as long as I could, but had other IRL things to do so had to drop out after about 20 minutes in. I'll jump in again later tonight (well it's 10PM on my side) to support the live stream. GL!

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Can't you make amends with the Romans? Is the entire campaign about fighting Rome? That's unfortunate, even if the game seems to be incline. Reminds me of that shitty Netflix TV show.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Can't you make amends with the Romans? Is the entire campaign about fighting Rome? That's unfortunate, even if the game seems to be incline. Reminds me of that shitty Netflix TV show.
Hey there, yes, you can negotiate peace with Rome. If you choose that's the way you want to handle things. There is a 'who's done it' detective aspect to it, so you can figure out who lead the attack on the Wall causing the retaliation you must now survive. And then you have a bargaining chip with Rome. Of course you need to gain their respect first so that they are even willing to consider a negotiation.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I also played this. It's an interesting CYOA game. My main concern is just how much choices matter.

Nm6k

Scholar
This might sound like a weird question but force romance in games with character creation really annoy me so how optional is the romance.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This sure seems highly ambitious. I tried to play a hybrid Hunter/Diplomancer by focussing only on speed and perception related combat and on the two friendly persuasion options. Went alright, the fight against the bully almost got me killed, but that was on me. I was too greedy and let the final roll of a combat winning 4 chain (sand throw) let come down to 80% chance and missed the roll.
Despite that I think I did fairly well, helped Ethian win that fight by shooting a few romans, brought the full deer back, got the roman silver to convince the villagers, did not kill the bully and greatly increased the relationship with my brother for winning against the bully.
Does Ethian's gender change depending on yours? Seeing a girl slaughter a group of romans in melee in an otherwise authentic game was a bit of a break of my disbelief. If Ethian is male when you pick a woman, then that is probably less immersion breaking. Small nitpick tho, "gender differences for combat do not exist" is a well established fantasy trope after all.

Anyway fun game, amount of challenge felt right, racking up those little victories for the character and progressing him felt great. It really is quite unique and goes much much further than the shitty assets indicate. Combining the mental character building with state of the art psychological profiling (Big5) is quite something aswell.

I wishlisted.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
I also played this. It's an interesting CYOA game. My main concern is just how much choices matter.
Hey there, thank you for letting me know.

Well, there is real story branching in each of the 3 acts, so your choices definitely shape the flow of the story. Then there are 5 distinct endings, 8 major achievements you might get or not. Many of the companion characters can live or die. But more than that, every choice counts on the micro level, shifting the scales a little bit more towards building or deteriorating your inner strength, and influence in the society. So while there is both real world, wars affecting consequence, personal relationship or personal life & death affecting consequences, this is also a story about all the little choices that shape our fate.

Last edited:

poetic

Poetic
Developer
This might sound like a weird question but force romance in games with character creation really annoy me so how optional is the romance.

I don't think it's weird at all, it's an important part of letting the player tell their story. So no romance is assumed or forced on the player character. For example if you play the male character, there is a scene where you the player picks choices defining the backstory of what happened when you got separated with Etain, your childhood friend. Your answers define what the relationship was in the past. And of course your actions define what it will become in the present.

Last edited:

poetic

Poetic
Developer
This sure seems highly ambitious. I tried to play a hybrid Hunter/Diplomancer by focussing only on speed and perception related combat and on the two friendly persuasion options. Went alright, the fight against the bully almost got me killed, but that was on me.
Does Ethian's gender change depending on yours? Seeing a girl slaughter a group of romans in melee in an otherwise authentic game was a bit of a break of my disbelief. If Ethian is male when you pick a woman, then that is probably less immersion breaking. Small nitpick tho, "gender differences for combat do not exist" is a well established fantasy trope after all.

Anyway fun game, amount of challenge felt right, racking up those little victories for the character and progressing him felt great. It really is quite unique and goes much much further than the shitty assets indicate. Combining the mental character building with state of the art psychological profiling (Big5) is quite something aswell.

I wishlisted.
Hey there, I'm glad to hear that you gave the game a chance to win you over and had fun!

Etain's gender does not change based on playing a male or female protagonist. The description of the noises in the forest, before your character arrives on scene, suggest she used guile to kill the first few soldiers, not her physical strength. What playing a male and a female protagonist changes is the relationship dynamic with the 2 key characters - Etain and Wid. As a younger brother there is a rivalry with Wid and more of guilt for getting separated Etain. As a younger sister, there is a drive to prove yourself and gain respect with your older brother, but you are not envious of his status. The rivalry happens in the relationship with Etain, and you feel more betrayal than guilt about how you got separated when young.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom