Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sacred Fire - a psychological RPG about romance, loyalty and revenge - now available on Early Access

poetic

Poetic
Developer
This is always the lowest-pledges lull, the last few days before the final countdown. I think you guys will make it, and I stand ready to up my pledge at the end as well.

On the subject of facial expressions, I can see both agris and V_K's points. I'd also vote to err on the side of understated in this case - even if not realistic, I think it's more stylistically appropriate to see sombre and even uncanny calm, as if these were actors in a mute theatrical piece, or even masked actors of the Furies or whatnot in a Greek play, in slow motion. I expect agris wasn't arguing for massive hulk smash rage, either.

Thank you for your support, it means a lot. With 78% and 8 days to go the odds are good, but the fight is not over yet.

I think the problem lies in the fact that the characters are fairly realistic but their faces remain absurdly stoic, leading to the uncanny valley effect

If the artstyle was more stylised it would be perfectly acceptable for them to be kind of wooden face-wise, but in its current iteration the game simply sends vibes of awkward unease

Yes, I agree with our art style we need to use a base expression, that is not completely blank. And also agree with Tigranes and others that we will stay on the understated side.

I backed this because it's seems pretty original. I have to say that 18/20$ for a digital copy is pretty steep. Anyways, how long will a play-though be according to estimates?

Thank you for your kind words and for your support. Regarding game-length, it's too soon to tell. The important thing is the format we use makes the story flow faster than in most RPGs. So in terms of memorable moments, twists and turns, character and story arcs, Sacred Fire brings the full experience. But you will experience it in less time. This is also because the design focus is on replayability. You can explore a different path trough the story, creating a character supporting different playstyle, making different allies and enemies, reach different endings.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Today we had another big day and we are over 1,000 backers strong! With 1 week to go things are looking really good, thank you all! This is really exciting, to be so close to the goal after all the work and preparation that went into the game and the campaign.

We published a big update on Characters and Romance in Sacred Fire.

We launched the 'Bring a Friend' initiative - bring a friend to back Sacred Fire and you both get a special in-game Personality Trait. For more details how to get this special in-game reward see the update.

With 84% funded the goal is withing our grasp.

Thank you for your support.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
We just posted a fun take on our personal indie development story "What do you need to develop a psychological RPG - a recipe."

https://imgur.com/t/gaming/h7l93

Check it out and if you enjoyed it, please upvote it and share it with your friends.

Thank you.

EDIT: The story is now on reddit too.

Last edited:

poetic

Poetic
Developer
We've posted a new in-depth update focusing on Character Creation in Sacred Fire.

lHRpqgg.jpg

It got picked up by the official Playstation Blog, so you can read all the character creation details there.

As a reaction to Sony’s interest, we decided to enable you to pledge for a digital PS4 version in addition to the PC version. The work on the PS4 version will start after the PC release.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
We’ve just hit 95%!

This is amazing, thank you all! It's an exciting time for us: after 4 weeks of campaigning as a small team, it’s electrifying to finally have the goal in sight.

As a sign of thanks, we’ve decided to add new attractive rewards to most of the tiers. The rewards are added to the tiers automatically and you don't have to do anything to get them if you have already pledges for the tier.

The first reward we add to all tiers with the digital version of Sacred Fire is the in-game Renown Trait Ancient Blood, as you, our backers, are the lifeblood and the first to inhabit the world of Sacred Fire.

XjNYexq.gif

Next reward is the backer exclusive in-game Golden Eagle Companion. There is an emotional bond and loyalty dynamic between your character and the animal companion.

And if you like the voice in our 2 trailers, you’ll surely enjoy a ringtone, alarm tone and text message tone narrated by Doug Cockle.

Check out our update for more details about these new rewards.

poetic

Poetic
Developer

Congratulations. It's good to know you're happening.

good lad

another contribution to the incline

Thank you! We are still pumped about reaching the goal, and we are looking forward to build a great game for our fans!

Also it seems like the campaign is not done yet :) The last 48 hours reminders triggered a new wave of backers and we are gaining speed. We are currently at #1 both on Kickstarter discovery by Magic and also #1 at Kicktraq Hotlist.

So with 36 hours left and 1250+ backers, we have the first stretch goal in sight!

yWgTisn.jpg

Check out the campaign.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The first stretch goal is definitely a go.

Congratulations are in order i guess :)

can u update pledge after the campaign ended? If situation is going well in life i might be interestes to update it later.

Anyway, happy for u guys. This ended up being one of the most interesting RPG concept i have ever seen. It began doubtful and my bitter heart says to be skeptical. Glad i was wrong.

Really love the idea of the stat psychology thing. I mean most rpg determine your character by how much muscle mass he has and how sharp his sword is. This one use emotion, thoughts and state of mind as stat.

From what i read also the stat has double bladed function like in no truce. One high stst will give you edge in one thing, but penalty in some other stuff. It will certainly make things interesting.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
HoboForEternity Thank you for your personal message, I appreciate it. It's always great to see people who understand what we are aiming for with Sacred Fire and appreciate the innovation.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Thanks to your support, we smashed the 1st stretch goal and unlocked the Extended Character Customization!

Here is a short video, showing a taste of the character customization in Sacred Fire:

The next 2 stretch goals add voice-over to both the player character (inner dilemmas) and the story characters (defining moments). You can read more how this supports our narrative and inner design focus in our latest update.

With less than 24 hours to go, the time to join 1,300 backers and claim your rewards is now. Thank you for your support.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Background Character Thank you, we are also happy the complex and in-depth rule set will be accompanied with more variety in art.

12 hours to go and $2,500 to unlock the inner voices stretch goal - can we make it?

CT6CeFr.jpg

The design of Sacred Fire is oriented inwards, exploring the motives, emotions and conflicts of the protagonist. In key story choices, you lead an inner monologue detailing your thoughts and motives, why you made a choice and how you process the consequences.

To support this design, this stretch goals adds narration of inner dilemmas to immerse you deeper into your role. What’s interesting, we have some of the most distinct voices in gaming showing early interest in joining the Sacred Fire team (on our indie budget!), as the male and female voice of your character.

BClFHaa.jpg

Based on your suggestions, we realized things don’t have to be black and white. While we can’t promise full voice-over for our varied cast, we can use it in character defining moments to make your favorite Sacred Fire characters come alive and immerse you deeper into the story. This stretch goal ads partial voice-over for the 10 main story characters: the 8 potential allies and the 2 powerful villains.

Last chance to get the backer exclusive in-game Golden Eagle companion at $30 and up.

XjNYexq.gif

There is an emotional bond and loyalty dynamic between your character and the animal companion. Everything you do is more memorable (+10% renown), and you look more imposing (+1 appearance). The eagle also vastly improves your hunting skills (+50% hunting). Hunting skills also help with spotting traps and ambushes.

Will we reach the next stretch goal? The story is yours to tell.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
We just reached the 2nd stretch goal! There will be voice-over for the key inner dilemmas of your player character. Thank you all!

To make this day even better, Stoic, the creators of Banner Saga, backed Sacred Fire. We are huge fans of their game world that inspired many artists around the world. To have them pledge their support to our vision is mind-blowing.

With 4 hours left this is the last decisive moment in our 28 day campaign. Let's end it with style! Can we find the will for one last push?

Let's see if we can find voices for our 10 key characters in Sacred Fire.

BClFHaa.jpg

Thank you all for your support.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lol, 65k exactly. I feel like the amount of money required for these stretch goals isn't much. I hope they aren't too optimistic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ogical-rpg-about-revenge-and-lo/posts/1888759

Sacred Fire crowdfunding will go on
Since the end of our campaign several late backers have used the impromptu Paypal button on www.SacredFireGame.com to pledge. It looks like there’s a lot of people who still want to back Sacred Fire. So we’ll be launching an ongoing In-Demand campaign on Indiegogo to continue to grow our community and to get additional funds to make Sacred Fire even better. We’ll let you know once it’s ready so you can help us to spread the message.

Doesn't seem to be up yet.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Hi everyone, yes, we've launched an Indiegogo campaign to continue building our community. Here's a short update. But first of all, thanks to everyone who supported us on Kickstarter either by pledging or sharing news about Sacred Fire. We really appreciate it, we couldn’t do it without you.

After our successful and quite exhausting campaign we’re up to speed and working hard on bringing you the new RPG format in Sacred Fire.

What we’re working on now

We have reviewed and further improved the Sacred Fire script. It’s really great to see how the characters come alive in the story. The choices and decisions you make are deep and intriguing. The initial feedback from people who read parts of the script is that they really love how everything you do develops your character and builds or harms relationships with others, just like in real life.

Crowdfunding follow-up

We’ve had fans who couldn’t back us on Kickstarter asking for an opportunity to support the development of Sacred Fire. So we decided to launch an on-going Indiegogo In-Demand campaign (no deadline, no specific goal) to continue building the community. We’ll use the funds for more polish, voiceover and improvements to the gameplay. We’re offering our most popular Kickstarter rewards on Indiegogo, including the Collector’s Edition Box or ringtones narrated by Doug Cockle (the voice of the Witcher). Check them out.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Is this a game all about reading and clicking text options?

This is a great question. Thanks anvi for bringing it up. Sacred Fire is a narrative choice and consequence RPG. So there is reading to advance the fast flowing story and the player is presented with several choices in every situation. The player can boost their chances of success by using willpower. The probabilities depend on how they developed their character. Character development (and character creation) is a crucial aspect of Sacred Fire.

So let's say you come into a scene where other characters are in a discussion. You want to be heard, but you can't just come and say something as nobody would pay attention (unless you already developed considerable authority earlier). So you can smash your axe into the floor to get their attention to be heard. But it's not like anybody could pull this off just like that. So based on your character, you have a certain probability to succeed with this feat. You can boost the probability by spending your willpower.

You can see more of the gameplay in our developers commentary here:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom