Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
There is something really special about Romancing Saga 2, and I think I figured out what it is (to me):

The gameplay loop in RS2 of optimizing your party, acquiring new weapons and armor, learning new spells and experimenting with different classes in order to stand a chance against increasingly more powerful enemies puts me in almost the exact same flow state as a good Wizardry or Wiz-like game does, even if on a surface level the games are nothing alike.

It becomes incredibly addictive to seek out new drops from new enemies in order to outfit your party as you slowly increase in weapon skills and magic power, and the balance of the game is constantly border on almost-too-difficult, but always in a way that seems "fair"; but what puts it over the top is the LP system.

Unlike the future SaGa franchise games, in RS 2 the LPs mechanic is serious business. While it's true that there is no game-over (except in the final scenario), and losing a character simply means replacing them with another one (again, much like Wizardry), due to the way RS 2 is structured you can find yourself severely disadvantaged if you lose a character in-between generation changes. With each new generation you build a fresh new party and inherit all learned spells and skills, but they only become "stored" for future-generation use when a scenario ends, which means if your characters die while you still have no idea how far off the next generation is then your new replacement character won't be able to inherit anything learned during the current scenario.

On the surface that might not seem like a big deal but RS 2's tight-rope balancing act (pun intended) means that everything matters, and 1 new skill learned can literally be the difference between being life and death. Enemies are ferocious in RS 2 and from mid-game onwards it can be incredibly matter-of-fact for a single enemy to wipe you out if you're not careful. Right now, in the current scenario I'm attempting to clear, there are many enemies with multi-hit attacks that can easily kill half your party if the Turn Order die-rolls happen to favor them for that round, or if your 80-accuracy axe skill attack that you're counting on to kill the enemy in that round happens to miss, that can easily mean that because you missed in the next round the enemy might just decide to target the one character who doesn't have any Heat Resistance gear with his Fire-element ki blast, or whatever, and then that char is dead...

...and when a char is knocked unconscious they lose 1 more LP with each strike from the enemy if you don't revive them fast and well-enough, so that means that if you still didn't kill the enemy in that round, then in the next round he just might decide to focus all 3 of his turns on the Unconscious character and that means they will lose 1 lp with one of those attacks: and before you ask, the average amount of LP for a unit is around 10 or so, which means one bad fight can easily consume more than half of their LP if things go really badly.

There are LP restoration potions but they're a bitch to get. You can buy 1 for 10 thousand GP but the NPC that sells them is at the end of a mini-dungeon always stuffed with extremely strong enemies (lol), and you can only buy 1 potion per visit, so that means if you're unlucky you can find yourself losing LPs on the way to get LPs. Insert "lol" here from the devs.

Sometimes it borders on a bit too-unfair, and frankly if I didn't have my training from playing dungeon crawlers with hard-core difficulties I would have definitely given up. This is the type of RPG that I would have dismissed out-of-hand back in the day, but now I can appreciate it because now I "get it". I understand the gameplay loop and I like it.

Oh, I almost forgot to explain something: so the main reason that it's so bad to lose a character mid-mission, when you don't know when the next generation/party is coming, is because skills are learned somewhat randomly. If that char with your most prized-skills runs out of LPs and dies (something that can happen in 2 consecutive bad fights if you're not careful), you have to manually trek back to your home base to recruit a replacement and you have no guaranteed way of learning that skill again except by going through the normal process of sparking it "randomly" against an enemy in a fight.

It can be pretty fucking daunting. I looked at the data and even in the most favorable conditions to spark a high-level skill you're still looking at only around a 10 or 20% chance of sparking it, and that's only if the char fulfills the tech requirements and is fighting the correct enemy (because different enemies allow sparking different skills). While low-level skills spark very easily (so it's no bother losing a character with Knee Split, for example), losing a char who just learned a high-level skill can be brutal.

Now I'm not complaining about the SaGa sparking system, that's fine, I'm just typing that it's understandable why losing a char is a big deal, and because the game is such a fine tight-rope balancing act in its difficulty and power curve it means that every fight is important. Sometimes that can be a little mentally taxing as I often find myself unconsciously holding my breath during enemy turns in anticipation of whether they rekt my party or not, but then I realize that it's moments like that that make the game rewarding to play.

Another thing that reminded me of Wizardry is that as you progress through scenarios you can (if you do things right) unlock new and more powerful unique classes, like samurais and ninjas and shamans and stuff like that. They come with unique gear/abilities/etc, so that as you compose each new generation's party your "party power curve" increases along with your own game knowledge. You always have something "new" to look foward to as you play (for example I'm eagerly anticipating getting Ninja recruits). This is another mechanic that I don't know if it's present in future SaGa games since they revolve more around "named" characters, so I don't know if this same feeling will be replicated in RS 3 or in the future-made games, as for example it's certainly not present in SaGa Frontier 1 which I played and finished back in the day.

Apparently there's a secret race of flying angel-women that you can unlock who have permanent "Float" status but it's a completely optional and secret side-quest, so I'm also looking foward to that. Oh yeah, there are also races you can unlock so you can pimp out each new party with progressively more beastial party members such as Molemen, Salamander Drakes, the Angel-women, even fucking Mermaids (heh). I have no idea how to unlock the Mermaids but I think the first step is probably going to that one town where the local culture is about pearl-diving. Just a thought, right?

Conclusion: Romancing Saga 2's pretty good, hard as fuck but rewarding to understand and master. I do recommend looking up how the different mechanics all work in a Wiki, tho, cos the game doesn't explain jack shit. I really do tip my hat to the japs who finished RS 2 in its original SNES days, before an internet and wikis, cos that shit ain't no joke. The game is completely freeform and NPC dialog is extremely limited so there are few hints about how to finish quests. I prefer that, now, since it means the majority of your time is spent engaged in the actual gameplay loop. It's very pick-up and play in that you can actually get something done in 20 minutes of play, learn a skill, a spell, explore multiple towns, level up skills, etc, all is very fast.

I think I'm officially a SaGa fan now. Romancing Saga 2 is by far the most challenging and rewarding "traditional-style top-down view" JRPG that I've played in years and ironically it came out 25 years ago.

Bonus tip: each character has unique stat spreads and I highly recommend looking them up on the wiki/data sheets. Later SaGa games give you this information in some way or another, but RS 1-3 do not... I spent like 2 hours trying to get my Male Mercenary named Perseus to learn an Axe Skill that he cannot learn, and there is no way to know that in RS 2 without looking it up. It just so happens that that specific Male Mercenary named Perseus that I recruited, though his character class advertises compatability with swords and axes, that due to him being a "generalist type" he doesn't have access to the full list of skills from either of the sword of axe trees, only the common ones from both. It makes complete sense now that I know this but without the information I would never have understood this specific thing.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
aweigh so you gonna get this game? i'd like to see ur review

See my post above. Love it.

btw, is this the only Saga that did the inheritance/heir system? saga as a whole seems more suited to this pseudo-roguelike permadeath setup than the scenario shit imo

...I agree. Seems like RS 2 is the only game in the series to use this structuring and while I definitely plan on playing the rest of the games in the franchise because I enjoy the core mechanics, I'm sure I will miss the RS 2 generation structure and the ability to enjoy building and optimizing many different parties with non-unique recruits. I really enjoy the steady power-curve progression built into the game that comes from the way generation changes work, you always have a new opportunity to anticipate with the next generation. I think the way RS 2 functions is much superior to "choose from 8 protagonists and build a conventional party using the named story NPCs".

The one thing missing from RS 2 is the inability of kicking out party members at will, as the game is right now you have to kill them off intentionally in a battle before being able to replace them. Not something that big of a deal because the game truly allows you to play it well with any kind of setup as it has excellent balancing but it would've been a cool feature to have. I read that this was fixed in RS 3, where ironically it wasn't as necessary of a feature as it was on RS 2.

BTW, something I wanted to mention: all of the people who say SaGa games "punish you for fighting enemies" are dead wrong. These games are made with the aim of the player to engage as actively as possible in combat at all times. It is how the game is best enjoyed, it is how it was designed, and it is the best way to play. The reason retarded weebs propagate this myth that you should avoid all encounters is because in most of these games the selection of quests available to you depends on either your party HP or on your amount of battles fought, so when they see that you can potentially "miss content" because they think that is a punishment because they're moronic storyfags who don't understand what kind of game it is that they're playing. The combat is the reward. You're not supposed to do every quest. I truly pity all the pathetic retards who play these games and avoid the combat because they're afraid of "missing content".

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh if anyone is wondering why I'm going off on the "retarded weebs" who say that about SaGa games it's not from anything I read on this thread, it's because I've been reading a lot of posts on various forums about Romancing Saga games, absorbing as much information as I can about the games, and I continually see people saying that retarded shit about how "you're supposed to run from every encounter or else you will miss all the story!!!!!111".

It pissed me off as it is such a huge disservice to the game, and the newcomers who believe this are robbed of enjoying the games as it is a complete misapprehension of what these games are. It made me mad that someone would have their game experience ruined because they believed some retarded weeb about this :/

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh if anyone is wondering why I'm going off on the "retarded weebs" who say that about SaGa games it's not from anything I read on this thread, it's because I've been reading a lot of posts on various forums about Romancing Saga games, absorbing as much information as I can about the games, and I continually see people saying that retarded shit about how "you're supposed to run from every encounter or else you will miss all the story!!!!!111".

It pissed me off as it is such a huge disservice to the game, and the newcomers who believe this are robbed of enjoying the games as it is a complete misapprehension of what these games are. It made me mad that someone would have their game experience ruined because they believed some retarded weeb about this :/

Hehe, I just went onto the Steam forum for this game and saw this gem. Literally one post after another:

FJhEqRz.jpg

Avoids all fights- complains he can't kill boss. Fucking hell, that's some galactic brain right there.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's mainly because most weebs are storyfags (for obvious reasons) and they just don't understand these games. They think the increase in difficulty is a punishment when it is actually a reward.

But yeah posts like that are exactly what ticked me off, because a lot of people believe it.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
For most of the games it's about grinding efficiency, not missing content.

In RSaGa 3 you have to try very hard to over-level, the enemies scale per-sprite. Meaning every time you beat a monster represented by a particular sprite, the encounter gets tougher, until you are fighting minibosses with every random battle. But it's only with that one goblin sprite or whatever. Your slime or demon encounters will remain unaffected, and you have to really over-grind to get that far.

In The Last Remnant, BR only affects grinding as far as I know, and only in terms of how effective it is. Lower BR means better 'gains' but high BR doesn't lock you out of anything. There's one uberboss you have to beat before a certain story trigger or you are locked out of a portion of the game, but you won't miss any story itself. Its just the best dungeon for grinding.

In Minstrel Song, all the quests are Event-Rank locked, so if you level up too much you fail quests. Again, not story, because the gameplay *is* the story. How you make it through the game and choose to approach the quests is what makes the story. If you are a completionist, you may try a full-quest run which means strictly managing your ER and yes, avoiding battles except when necessary to beat the next boss. But that's equivalent to a full-100% Social Link run in Persona, aka something you would need multiple runs to plan or a walkthrough in-hand to do, not a normal way you are 'expected' to play the game.

Minstrel Song is probably the one game that caused all of this with it's Event Rank system, which was intended to make each run through the game a little different. It just comes across obtuse and challenging because SaGa being SaGa.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Also in Scarlet Grace I grinded'd like a motherfucker and never had a problem. The issue was early on (in Urpina's story) you can't grind, making the first encounters inordinately difficult. Once you level up, the difficulty becomes extremely flat. The game goes from uber-hard to brain-dead in a small time, long before the its over.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
For RS 2, if you ran around in a same circle for hours doing nothing but killing things while not increasing your magic element rank, I can see having the monsters outscale you because you would be stuck with early game gear and magic that wouldn't match up to the enemies you're facing but you would need to be playing very abnormally to reach that point.

I think it's some form of veterans wanting to weed out the "grind = best approach to any difficult" mental processes that has poisoned the mind of most JRPG fans so as to better prepare them for how to play SaGa, but it backfires because grinding does work in 90% of the games and low-fights is more of a skill-tester thing to do rather than the intended playstyle - they should have just encouraged people to try to play smart instead of fearmongering level scaling

Hyperion

Arcane
The Last Remnant's difficulty being based on Battle Rank and not grinding was propagated by the 360 version which was all sorts of buggy and botked. It was made in Unreal and the dev team showed their inexperience with it first go around.

The PC version (which is discontinued as of the remaster release) fixed all of this, including Battle Rank fixes. You're no longer punished for utilizing chain battles, and a big battle chain is now the game's goal. Low Battle Rank is strictly for power gamers who challenge themselves early to get the biggest gains later on. If you get a high Battle Chain you can make up for a high Battle Rank anyway.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Scarlet Grace is the new one, right? The one that doesn't have any dungeons?

I know Minstrel Song is the remake of RS 1, and I already downl-- I mean, I already made a backup of my personally-owned copy to play on a PS2 emulator when I'm done with RS 2 (and RS 3).

I think I'm about 60 or 70% thru RS 2 as I just had Imperial Guards become available for recruitment, which I read accidentally (while trawling RS posts on forums) happens when you're past the half-way point in terms of scenarios done. I had to take a break just now from a marathon session cos a fucking Ant made magical rocks fall on my party and killed 4 of them so I just alt F4'd to cool off.

My current Greatsword user just learned the final GS tech, and my axe-wielding pirate party member just received a 42-attack power axe from the R&D lab so life is good ^_^

EDIT: also I just now discovered I have to talk to the guy in my castle about Formations to learn any new ones I might have picked up. Just picked up Divine Wall and Rapid Stream and trying them out now.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Man that Stone Shower wipe pissed me off so much I fucking looked up what kind of damage type it is since I realized just now there is no specific "Earth" type that you can defend against; so apparently Stone Shower is simply "Bludgeon" damage, so that means I need to get some hats as hats protect against bludgeon damage. I don't currently have anyone sporting any particular hats.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I loaded up RS: Minstrel Song on PCSX2 to check it out and I noticed the run speed is very slow, so I looked up some tutorials on how to enable Pro Action Replay codes and convert them for PCSX2 and then I found a code to modify the running speed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhl4fbydja955o5/239CF68A.PNACH?raw=1

If you don't want to download just paste:
gametitle=Romancing SaGa (NTSC-U) (SLUS-21263)
comment=RSMS Codes
// Enable
patch=1,EE,9011EF60,extended,0C09F72C
//Run Speed
patch=1,EE,20427634,extended,00000004

in a dot pnach file.

That's the .pnach file I made, it has other stuff in it (like Widescreen code) but everything else is commented out except for the walking speed code. If you want it even faster just replace the 000004 with 000005 or even 000006, though i find 06 to be way too fast.

Should make for a more enjoyable experience.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Just defeated Wagnas, only two more Heroes left to kill.

Man, I tried like hell to get the Gae Bolg lance drop from the Ice Drgon boss mini-boss in Wagnas' castle, I killed him and reloaded more than 20 times, but he just wouldn't drop the damn thing. Oh well, i'll have to live with knowing my spear-user won't have the best spear.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh i just posted that video cos i found it hilarious how ignorant the guy is, not because i think he has a legitimate opinion or anything like that. I'm looking foward to trying out US.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally got into the series. I started playing RS3 with Julian. I like monks in RPGs so I made him start with martial skill, he has also some sword skill by default. Punches don't do any damage but I will persevere with the, because I guess they will unlock some cool stuff.

Game seems obscure and there is no tutorial at all, but I'm liking the feel of it. It seems in my alley of party development and combat focused RPGs. Unlocking skills promise to be fun and rewarding.

I downloaded the manual fromm this link and have been pretty useful.
http://cdn.sqexeu.com/sea/romancing-saga-3/manuals/switch_en.pdf

Will post progress and ask for assistance if I get in trouble.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Finally got into the series. I started playing RS3 with Julian. I like monks in RPGs so I made him start with martial skill, he has also some sword skill by default. Punches don't do any damage but I will persevere with the, because I guess they will unlock some cool stuff.

Game seems obscure and there is no tutorial at all, but I'm liking the feel of it. It seems in my alley of party development and combat focused RPGs. Unlocking skills promise to be fun and rewarding.

Don't know how good unarmed is in RS 3 but it has some really useful techs in RS 2, like an ability to self-heal and a Long-range crushing attack classified as a projectile (Ki Blast in RS 2) that is really good because most enemies have 0 def versus crush type damage (in RS 2). Their counter abilities were also really good as well.

I recommend looking up the Romancing Saga 3 item stats at least because all weapons and armors have multiple stats that aren't shown in the game's GUI, like the different values for the different damage types, etc, or flat-out hidden properties (usually on accessories), like how most accessories in RS 2 have bonuses against elemental spell damage but this isn't shown in the GUI nor is it described in the item description.

I know I definitely started enjoying RS 2 much more when I started understanding all of its blackboxed stuff. You become armed with more options for facing the game's challenges when you realize the stuff in your inventory has more use than you knew.

Also, if RS 3 stats work like RS 2 (and I'm sure they do), then character attributes give exponential improvements, not linear ones. Having from STR 19 to 20 is a bigger increase in power than when you went from 18 to 19; the higher it goes the better the return on investment. I remember damage really started getting crazy when I was hitting 22-24 STR on some of my hand-picked characters using some STR-boosting equipment (in RS 2).

EDIT: Also everything has a damage or resistance type; for example a nasty spell called Stone Shower looks like something you'd need some kind of "magical defense" against, but in reality it does Crushing-type damage so equipping helmets on my cars provided protection.

Gauntlets/armlets affect your accuracy, btw. Another thing that is never mentioned anywhere in-game, though to be fair I do believe there is 1 npc who mentions something about this in RS 2.

...and watch your weight! Weight total affects turn order and also damage and accuracy for some stuff, like for examples Axes do more damage the higher the weight of the axe, and that's just one I know of specifically; there are probably lots of other edge-cases.

EDIT 2: Oh also some weapon types use a different modifier, like for example Bows use DEX instead of STR. I believe foils/rapiers also use DEX instead but I never bothered with them in RS 2, they were a weak weapon category there.

Oh, also in Unarmed it also uses your SPEED modifier as well as your STR mod to calculate accuracy and damage. Weight affects SPD, btw.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane

Martial arts grows slow and is wimpy to start but has some awesome endgame techs. They are however quite hard to learn unless you know exactly what you are doing.

If you picked martial art proficiency at start you should be fine, but depending on your 'learning class' you may not be able to learn most of the moves. Learning type is one of those wonderful hidden SaGa mechanics.

Generally whatever weapon you pick at the beginning you can learn most of the techs, plus a smattering of others. There are some special learning types that can get many more techs. There are also techs that people can only learn *without* the right type, because fuck you that's why.

Once a person learns a tech and masters it everyone in the party can equip it, so you don't necessarily need the right learning type to get all the techs. There's also a non-zero chance to learn any tech in the game, but its very small without the right conditions.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Gauntlets/armlets affect your accuracy, btw. Another thing that is never mentioned anywhere in-game, though to be fair I do believe there is 1 npc who mentions something about this in RS 2.

They increase or reduce accuracy?

Thanks for all the info.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom