Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SaGa Series Discussion

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Minstrel Song is really good. I actually pulled out my PS3 to give it another try during COVID. I'm looking forward to this being on the Switch for portability.

somerandomdude

Learned
Frontier 2 wasn't as good as 1, but it was still pretty good. Better than the ones after it IMO. They had some content cut out of it that people outside of Japan never go to play, because it was pocketstation only. I'd expect we get that in any remaster, along with any items that could be obtained like that uber weapon we missed out on. I actually added it through emulation cheats just to test it out, and it was the strongest weapon in the game for sure, the hybrid weapon arts with it were insanely strong. That tornado blade hybrid art did like 5-6k+ aoe for very low cost.

Dhaze

Cipher
I have to say I much preferred the second SaGa Frontier to the first. Though of course the first one is an excellent game.

Gustave The Steel always struck me as a very fine character. The artstyle, with its pastel palette, won me over instantly—a lot of the backgrounds were absolutely gorgeous. And the soundtrack is fantastic, with songs like Heimatlose, Naturvolk, and Weltall (to this day it remains my favorite work from Hamauzu).

somerandomdude

Learned
Gustave was a chad who didn't let the world beat him down, and fought to make everyone who said he was inferior lick his steel scrotum.

Dhaze

Cipher
By the way, it's been more than a decade since last I've played Frontier 2, so... do we know what exactly happened to Gustave? I remember various talks on forums anent the subject of his death or supposed death; and some people conjectured that his body had been taken over by the Egg—thus becoming Fake Gustave—while others suspected Fake Gustave was the son of Gustave and Leslie.

Damn it, I really hope they eventually get to release that game on PC and do it justice. It was a true gem.

Unlimited also, but that one had really weird mechanics—even for a SaGa title—and could prove hard to get into. Honestly, I'm not sure how well it would be received.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I burned Minstrel Song in a DVD like a month ago to play it on my ps2 and only made sure it worked but haven't played it yet, i'll probably play it and later the remaster to complain about the inevitable changes that Square Enix's ethics department made like with Chrono Cross.

I hope they don't change anything in the JP version but they changed it too with Chrono Cross, global releases were a mistake.

Hyperion

Arcane
By the way, it's been more than a decade since last I've played Frontier 2, so... do we know what exactly happened to Gustave? I remember various talks on forums anent the subject of his death or supposed death; and some people conjectured that his body had been taken over by the Egg—thus becoming Fake Gustave—while others suspected Fake Gustave was the son of Gustave and Leslie.

Damn it, I really hope they eventually get to release that game on PC and do it justice. It was a true gem.

Unlimited also, but that one had really weird mechanics—even for a SaGa title—and could prove hard to get into. Honestly, I'm not sure how well it would be received.
He's dead. The cutscene (that plays in the beginning) drives home that what little Anima he possessed has returned to the Earth.

Fake Gustave is not related to actual Gustave, but a manifestation of a person by the Egg, similar to the broad Rich died chasing down.

If Gustave had kids with Leslie they're dead, because the guy claiming to be his grandson gets killed by Fake Gustave (and has the Egg of course), which is what sets the endgame in motion. Even if G13 didn't get killed with Johan he would be dead or old as sin by the events of The Last Megalith, like how Wil is 85 years old.

Gustaf, his (great?) nephew is Gustave's remaining legacy, and his possession of both the Firebrand and a Steel Sword is proof of the change Gustave sought to achieve - the rightful heir, capable of wielding the Firebrand, can also wield Steel to no real detriment. Whether intentional or not, the game hammers home Steel equipment eclipsing element-based Anima gear very early on. Converting one, or even two characters into Steel-based Fighters makes the Knights half of the story a cakewalk. Patrick was my favorite character, and nearly killed The Lich in Laubholz Tower by himself.

j2alg

Educated
I loved the shit out of Frontier and more or less marathoned the 7 scenarios
going into Frontier 2 expecting a similar game was a slap in the face, consider me filtered/skill-issued to this day

Dhaze

Cipher

He's dead. The cutscene (that plays in the beginning) drives home that what little Anima he possessed has returned to the Earth.

Fake Gustave is not related to actual Gustave, but a manifestation of a person by the Egg, similar to the broad Rich died chasing down.

If Gustave had kids with Leslie they're dead, because the guy claiming to be his grandson gets killed by Fake Gustave (and has the Egg of course), which is what sets the endgame in motion. Even if G13 didn't get killed with Johan he would be dead or old as sin by the events of The Last Megalith, like how Wil is 85 years old.

Gustaf, his (great?) nephew is Gustave's remaining legacy, and his possession of both the Firebrand and a Steel Sword is proof of the change Gustave sought to achieve - the rightful heir, capable of wielding the Firebrand, can also wield Steel to no real detriment. Whether intentional or not, the game hammers home Steel equipment eclipsing element-based Anima gear very early on. Converting one, or even two characters into Steel-based Fighters makes the Knights half of the story a cakewalk. Patrick was my favorite character, and nearly killed The Lich in Laubholz Tower by himself.

Thanks for the answer/refresher!

I think it's high time for me to finally replay it. Good thing, too, as I'm in the mood for some classics and have been itching for replays through various SaGa games, as well as Thousand Arms, Xenogears and a couple of others.

Derringer

Prophet
Gustave's story feels disjointed and unfinished given they used him as the main marketing material for the little marketing the game has as the backdrop for all the wars and conflicts in the game.

There's an undub for Minstrel Song online if you look it up.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
The tactical battles of SaGa Frontier 2 completely ruin it for me, but I supposed with emulators + save states they're not so bad.

Plus it's a game where grinding is particularly worthless, even for a SaGa title. I hate how little you grow during each chapter and how most of your gains are from aging. It's dull.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is coming on December 1.

It was in one of the reels of today's Nintendo Direct.

grimace

Arcane
(Originally released for PlayStation 2 in 2005) Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered, a stunning remastered edition of the classic RPG, launching Dec. 1, with pre-orders beginning today for Nintendo Switch.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/romancing-saga-minstrel-song-remastered-switch/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-sMRwc5boM

Coming This Winter on Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Steam®, iOS and Android!

Minstrel Song is the remake of the first Romancing SaGa, they probably decided remastering an existing remake is easier than making a second remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtsRxesTgEU

#ミンサガリマスター 【今冬発売予定】ロマンシング サガ -ミンストレルソング- リマスター:アナウンスメントトレーラー

Romancing Saga -Minstrel Song- Remastered | Announce Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-sMRwc5boM

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/news/romancing-saga-minstrel-song-remastered

More information:
Everything you need to know about Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered
The classic RPG releases for PS5. PS4, Nintendo Switch, Steam, iOS and Android in Winter.

RPG fans rejoice because a true classic has returned!

We’re thrilled to announce that Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered will release on PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Steam, iOS, and Android this Winter!

As the name implies, the game’s a remaster of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (called Romancing SaGa in the US), which was originally released for PlayStation 2 in 2005. This new edition of the game has been enhanced with a host of new features, including HD visuals, refined gameplay, and even brand new content!

Read on and we’ll tell you everything you need to know:

The history of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song
Let’s begin with a little history lesson.

In the long, long ago of 1992, Square Enix released the fantastic Romancing SaGa on the Super Famicon in Japan. The fourth ‘SaGa’ game, it revolutionized the series with its non-linear structure and innovative mechanics.

It was, as they say, a hit, and its influence is still felt on the series to this day.

13 years later, a remake was released for the PlayStation 2 in Japan as “Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song”and later in North America as “Romancing Saga”. This new version of the game was faithful to the original but featured impressive 3D visuals and some welcome features that made the adventure more approachable for new players.

Now, 17 years after that, it’s back again - and it’s bigger and better than ever.

What is Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered?
Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered retains everything that made the original game great. For example, it features the unique ‘Glimmer’ and ‘Combo’ systems, where characters can learn awesome new abilities in the heat of battle, the beautiful illustrations, and the wonderful soundtrack by Composer Kenji Ito.

It also features the series’ Free-form Scenario System, which lets you experience the story differently depending on how you play. You choose one of eight main characters, and as you explore the vast world, your actions and decisions will weave a story that is uniquely yours.

All that already makes the game a must-play for fans of classic turn-based RPGs, but this release adds even more.

The game now features remastered HD graphics, new quality of life features that make it easier and more convenient to play, and you can even expect some new elements too!

What platforms can you play the game on?
Romancing SaGa -Minstrel Song- Remastered will release for PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Steam, iOS, and Android this Winter.

Jinn

Arcane
And the day is nearly upon us! It's been a long several years of getting the SaGa series onto the platform it always deserved to be on, but we've almost got all the titles on PC in some form or another.

Now the excellent Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song joins the ranks. It's not only one of the best games in the series, but also one of the finest remakes ever created in videogame history. If you're anything like me, you've been a little over-saturated in JRPG releases this year. But that matters not to me, because this is the game that puts nearly all the others to shame. In my eyes, a true masterpiece. So tomorrow, everything else gets set aside as I return to Mardias for yet another adventure.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I just hope it sells enough to make remasters of SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited SaGa happen.

That and I hope Akitoshi Kawazu stays in good health for the next couple of decades.

Jinn

Arcane
I just hope it sells enough to make remasters of SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited SaGa happen.

I have absolutely no doubt these two will come within the next couple years. Squeenix is on an insane suicide march of releasing and re-releasing games at an absurd rate. I cannot believe their release schedule this year. Releasing games damn near weekly for the past several months. They are literally competing with themselves at this point.

So as long as they don't go under before they do, SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited SaGa are almost certainly on the horizon.

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
By god what a time to play on pc. Granted, pretty much all of these ports or re-releases have some bad to go with the good; but had you told me some years ago that such a huge number of classic JRPGs would be available on pc I wouldn't have believed it. I guess Square—amongst others—at last came to understand how much money they were foregoing by ignoring this platform.

Final Fantasy, Atelier, Disgaea, La Pucelle, Phantom Brave, Brigandine, Tactics Ogre, Grandia, Mana, Chrono, etc etc... And Suikoden 1 and 2 are due next year! Doubtlessly Frontier 2 and Unlimited will come soon enough, and as Square continues to plow through its catalogue with such zeal I would be surprised if Vagrant Story doesn't come sooner rather than later.

What's next then? Xenogears and Xenosaga seem likely candidates for a pc release, as does the Breath Of Fire series. I wonder if we'll ever get Legend Of Dragoon? And how many newborns do I have to sacrifice for Tengai Makyō Zero; just tell me the number, I already have the appropriate music.

Jinn

Arcane
pretty much all of these ports or re-releases have some bad to go with the good
Minstrel Song Remaster might be one of the few that ends up being the ultimate way to play the game. The current director of this remaster has explicitly stated they haven't altered anything mechanical in terms of numbers, etc. in reverence to the original release. There's also an option to play the classic version of the game or the updated version. So what we have here is the best graphically presented version of the game, with the completely untouched original gameplay available and with the additional content actually being good and approved by Kawazu himself.

So one of the best remakes in gaming history might just be getting one of the best remasters in gaming history. Looking back on that sentence, it doesn't seem like something to be celebrating, but in this case it very much so is.

Sadly unlikely, as Monolith's balls are currently shackled securely to Nintendo's ankle.

Dhaze

Cipher
pretty much all of these ports or re-releases have some bad to go with the good
Minstrel Song Remaster might be one of the few that ends up being the ultimate way to play the game. The current director of this remaster has explicitly stated they haven't altered anything mechanical in terms of numbers, etc. in reverence to the original release. There's also an option to play the classic version of the game or the updated version. So what we have here is the best graphically presented version of the game, with the completely untouched original gameplay available and with the additional content actually being good and approved by Kawazu himself.

So one of the best remakes in gaming history might just be getting one of the best remasters in gaming history. Looking back on that sentence, it doesn't seem like something to be celebrating, but in this case it very much so is.

Now that is simply lovely; it's the absolute best way to go for a remaster. I was going to buy it no matter what but it's always good to see such gems being given the care they deserve. Especially so when it comes to games like Minstrel Song, suffused with highly idiosyncratic systems.

Sadly unlikely, as Monolith's balls are currently shackled securely to Nintendo's ankle.

Ah! I was barely done clicking the 'post reply' button that I remembered they are no longer with Namco. Unlikely indeed, then.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Since Nintendo doesn't care for exact release dates, I was already playing the remaster as soon as calendar was officially Thursday on my Switch. I chose Jamil. We'll see how it goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom