Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soys Row 2022

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
At present, woke products have been terrible in addition to being woke. A lot of people have attributed this to the woke mindset being antithetical to the creative one.

What scares me is if a woke product actually turned out to be creative and fun. It'd be the first example of a woke product being such, and it would be a huge win for them.

Because every time they've tried to create something new it bombed. Nobody wants their politics and outlook on life, including the hatred of their native country. That's why they infiltrate existing properties that have large fanbases and destroy them from within. That's why the fans are revolting against Soy Row. They don't want it.
Luckily, there hasn't been a case where the fans have rejected a woke offering AND the offering wasn't shit.

But what if there was in the future? I won't be able to dismiss the good aspects of a product even if it were woke. My brain is going to split if that happens.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
At present, woke products have been terrible in addition to being woke. A lot of people have attributed this to the woke mindset being antithetical to the creative one.

What scares me is if a woke product actually turned out to be creative and fun. It'd be the first example of a woke product being such, and it would be a huge win for them.

Because every time they've tried to create something new it bombed. Nobody wants their politics and outlook on life, including the hatred of their native country. That's why they infiltrate existing properties that have large fanbases and destroy them from within. That's why the fans are revolting against Soy Row. They don't want it.
Luckily, there hasn't been a case where the fans have rejected a woke offering AND the offering wasn't shit.

But what if there was in the future? I won't be able to dismiss the good aspects of a product even if it were woke. My brain is going to split if that happens.

Do you like being lectured and told how to live your life through your entertainment? If you answer no then woke shit won't last. The numbers are there dude, so grow a pair of balls and think for yourself. What are you a goddamn weak kneed school girl that needs to have everything dictated to you?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Do you like being lectured and told how to live your life through your entertainment? If you answer no then woke shit won't last. The numbers are there dude, so grow a pair of balls and think for yourself. What are you a goddamn weak kneed school girl that needs to have everything dictated to you?

You're missing my point.

If something woke was actually good, I couldn't just dismiss it because of politics, I would have to give credit where it's due. That is thinking for myself.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

You're missing my point.

If something woke was actually good, I couldn't just dismiss it because of politics, I would have to give credit where it's due. That is thinking for myself.

Mindless prattling on your part. It's a bit like asking a whale to walk on stilts.

Ravielsk

Magister

Nah, there is plenty of clowns who think they want this "outlook" on life in videosgames but they only think they want it, they dont really desire it. Simply because modern left is based around obfuscation. Its a lot of nice sounding but effectively hollow barks that were never meant to produce anything coherent, just nice sounding.

So when you take that as a basis for your script it either inevitably turns into a critique of those ideals or turns to shit because there is no way to make a internally inconsistent and intentionally broken outlook on the world into something inspiring. Its just a faulty foundation that has a really good marketing department.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Mindless prattling
I can't let politics do my thinking for me. This is unfathomable for you?

I don't either. I just go by what I see and all woke shit is shit.

People with below average IQs have trouble with "What if?" questions.

"What if" this game defied the trend and was actually a fun and creative despite it's woke influences?
Doubtful. Sure, some games with some minor and subtle woke influences or those that go out to please both sides may do well but not full on woke. Going full woke is like going full retard. You never go full retard.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
So um... sure, this is going to be a pile of steaming shit, but it's weird to see people getting hung up on the plot and sensibilities of a game that used to be about beating the shit out of people with giant dildos, foam middle fingers, and stuff.

Also, does it really irritate anyone that much about what they've chosen to name the shops in this plot heavy magnum opus? I wish I had that kind of luxury. The original names were dumb college kid jokes aimed at dumb college kids and high schoolers. The new names understand that today's dumb college kids and high schoolers would cry on Twitter for days if those names were used. Admittedly, they don't seem to be interested in this reboot either, so Volition may have made a game with a target market that doesn't actually exist. Meh.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
So um... sure, this is going to be a pile of steaming shit, but it's weird to see people getting hung up on the plot and sensibilities of a game that used to be about beating the shit out of people with giant dildos, foam middle fingers, and stuff.

Also, does it really irritate anyone that much about what they've chosen to name the shops in this plot heavy magnum opus? I wish I had that kind of luxury. The original names were dumb college kid jokes aimed at dumb college kids and high schoolers. The new names understand that today's dumb college kids and high schoolers would cry on Twitter for days if those names were used. Admittedly, they don't seem to be interested in this reboot either, so Volition may have made a game with a target market that doesn't actually exist. Meh.

I wanted a crime game that was fun, adult themed and not influenced by fad political rubbish.

Oh no! How could anyone cater to my impossible standards?!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Doubtful.
I don't disagree, but you still didn't engage in the thought exercise.
To be honest it is hard to consider a work being woke and fun. They stand in contradiction to each other. Fun would require the player given some measure of freedom to express themselves that would be at odds with the woke crap they are trying to pull. Hell, I'd be surprised if we can go on murder rampages in this game.

mediocrepoet

Patron

I wanted a crime game that was fun, adult themed and not influenced by fad political rubbish.

I'm not asking you to like whatever they made. I don't particularly care either way. (Saints Row has been garbage since SR2, although there were a few mildly funny things in 3 and 4.)

I just assumed that people had the capacity to accept that this isn't the game they hoped for and move on to the next thing. If anything, the market is oversaturated with tons of stuff these days. And between getting older and shifting generational sensibilities, you/I/we may no longer be the target demographic for this or many products anymore. Oh no. It happens in all sorts of mediums all the time. It's not like my grandparents were eager to see what the next bloodbath Schwarzenegger was going to be in...

At most, I find the business decision side of this to be interesting. Anyway, carry on. Sorry to ruffle your feathers about your favourite game.

You'd think people would drop the dumb "who cares lol" argument when you have the devs on record saying they cared enough to change those things. No one feels very confident about the creativity of people who think "Freckle Bitch" is a "product of another era".

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron

I'm not asking you to like whatever they made. I don't particularly care either way. (Saints Row has been garbage since SR2, although there were a few mildly funny things in 3 and 4.)

I just assumed that people had the capacity to accept that this isn't the game they hoped for and move on to the next thing. If anything, the market is oversaturated with tons of stuff these days. And between getting older and shifting generational sensibilities, you/I/we may no longer be the target demographic for this or many products anymore. Oh no. It happens in all sorts of mediums all the time. It's not like my grandparents were eager to see what the next bloodbath Schwarzenegger was going to be in...

At most, I find the business decision side of this to be interesting. Anyway, carry on. Sorry to ruffle your feathers about your favourite game.
What's it to you if I get upset with a game and indulge in a bit of a whinge? On a forum designed for people to whinge about games?

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not asking you to like whatever they made.

Rick, have you ever heard the expression "The customer is always right"?

868cbfd8-aa4c-4611-a61b-e44bac859a0b_screenshot.jpg

mediocrepoet

Patron

What's it to you if I get upset with a game and indulge in a bit of whinge? On a forum designed for people to whinge about games?

Nothing, other than another proud tradition here is to whinge about people whinging about games. :stupid:
:love:

mediocrepoet

Patron
Yeah, completely. This is utterly out of character with my posting history. Good job, detective.

Seriously though, the game was questionably good 13 years ago and has released a variety of shit titles since then. Like when people cry about Fallout rape, I get it. Saints Row rape though? Really?

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Like when people cry about Fallout rape, I get it. Saints Row rape though? Really?
Fallout rape was understandable. It had a relatively small fanbase who couldn't stop the rape.

But Saints Row is a big franchise. It's terrifying that DeepSilver thinks it rape a franchise in front of millions and get away with it.

mediocrepoet

Patron
This is utterly out of character with my posting history.
I have never noticed you before.

Ok. I mean, I don't care, but hey. I post here. My join date is earlier than yours. I hope that doesn't also hurt your feelings.

Scratch that, I just looked at your stats and understand the issue. See, I usually post about RPGs on the RPG site. You seem more into politics and consoletard cancer. Have you consider talking to a life coach?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom