Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soys Row 2022

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Disillusioned with the American Dream, trying to make ends meet

Wow, why not just make a game about some people working at a fucking gas station? Apparently that's about how much ambition your characters have in this.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How the fuck do a bunch of lazy ass students get disillusioned with the American dream before even starting to work. Absolute beltway pansies.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Haha, it's clear that the ambition of the MCs explodes pretty quickly.

But the charm of Saint's Row (at least for me) is that it starts out with everyone being a total fucking psycho and over the course of the games they grow and mature over time. I don't want my expectations subverted. If I click on SR, I expect to get that.

I would totally be fine with a new series of games that starts out with a bunch of hipsters getting dragged into the criminal underworld and learning how the other half lives. That would be a great concept. I would totally be into that. The only problems are that you can't call that "Saint's Row" and I have zero confidence that's the game they're actually making. It's clearly made by people who's only idea of crime is that maybe they needed to call up their parents to bail them out for a DUI a couple times.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But the charm of Saint's Row (at least for me) is that it starts out with everyone being a total fucking psycho and over the course of the games they grow and mature over time.
The rest of your post makes sense, but this is insanity. No one grows or matures in any of the SR games I played.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The rest of your post makes sense, but this is insanity. No one grows or matures in any of the SR games I played.

At the end of 3 you have a choice to either go back to being a mean gangsta or continuing on the softer, more media-friendly path (the canon choice which ultimately leads to the Boss getting elected President at the beginning of 4). Shaundi's character arc in 4 is reconciling with the person she used to be in 2. :M

deuxhero

Arcane
We’ve built the biggest customization suite of any Saints Row game; we have the most in-depth character creator ever seen in a Saints game

Big character editor (even though they little they showed didn't have any height modification), but no website editor.

Caim

Arcane
What's up with all these faggots copying that color palette in so many new games these days?
Probably because Fortnite made such obscene amounts of money having even a tenth of a percent of its fans going "Huh, this kinds looks like Fortnite so this might be fun as well" is potentially extremely lucrative.

The funny thing about the Fortnite comparison is, from what I've seen of the characters in it anyways, if the goal is to capture the Fortnite audience with these character designs then they completely fucked up. The little I've seen of Fortnite characters from YouTube ads, and looking at Google just now, Fortnite characters are conventionally attractive. Female characters in Fortnite seem to have things like pretty faces, and tits. That female driver mechanic character in this that they uglied up and made less cool looking between concept art and the actual game, at least from what I can tell from looking at Fortnite characters, that would never happen with Fortnite. It's like, in a surprise twist, it turns out that game that's one of the biggest games in the world doesn't intentionally make all their characters look ugly, unattractive, and plain.

c4d5d26ad1b6a1f4d823d3b7109e8a1f.png

ee6699eb3a5ced959a5bae5260c92d00.jpg

0cf3dea0c06923926b810a2b44d2f205.jpg

This is also kind of funny because Fortnite designs (and stuff like the dancing) are like some kind of cross between Saints Row stuff and Overwatch's art style, and their Agents of Mayhem game was even closer to the art style of those bigger games than this is.

Caim

Arcane
What do the OG GTA fans want? Do they want to go "ah shit here we go again" with San Andreas 2? A return to Vice City? Or back to the times of the top-down view?

The funny thing about the Fortnite comparison is, from what I've seen of the characters in it anyways, if the goal is to capture the Fortnite audience with these character designs then they completely fucked up. The little I've seen of Fortnite characters from YouTube ads, and looking at Google just now, Fortnite characters are conventionally attractive. Female characters in Fortnite seem to have things like pretty faces, and tits. That female driver mechanic character in this that they uglied up and made less cool looking between concept art and the actual game, at least from what I can tell from looking at Fortnite characters, that would never happen with Fortnite. It's like, in a surprise twist, it turns out that game that's one of the biggest games in the world doesn't intentionally make all their characters look ugly, unattractive, and plain.

This is also kind of funny because Fortnite designs (and stuff like the dancing) are like some kind of cross between Saints Row stuff and Overwatch's art style, and their Agents of Mayhem game was even closer to the art style of those bigger games than this is.
What! Neenah is attractive wife anon! She is!

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Ironically, I started playing SR2 back then because I was fed up with GTA4. That one was an overly long boring slog and took itself far too serious.
Saints Row was the opposite if that. So lighthearted that the "Carlos incident" felt extremely out of place.
A bunch of street kids forming a gang to fight other gangs ruining their neighbourhood, heck, the main "plot" of SR2 was the gang having become sellouts who needed to go back to their roots. Get "real" again.
SR did that by also poking fun at the pretentious "gangsta culture", making it an enjoyable mix to me, who normally wouldn't touch that gangsta shit with a ten feet pole.
The sequels drifting more and more into sillyness and supernatural stuff turned out to be a welcomed detour in my book, avoiding a far too schematic routine, but the next game HAD to go back to the humble beginnings, obviously with a new cast.

But not like this. Pretentious hipsters doing a play pretend gang is exactly the sort of clowns we used to fight in these games.

"Dey not da real shit maaan y'knowhatimean." :cry:

Sad.

Data4

Arcane
What do the OG GTA fans want? Do they want to go "ah shit here we go again" with San Andreas 2? A return to Vice City? Or back to the times of the top-down view?
I wouldn't mind a remaster of Vice City with current gen graphics. 80's Miami Vice aesthetic is the shit.

It's definitely funny looking back at trailers for the old games given where they've taken this, and the very strong impression they gave before this reveal of returning to that. Fuck, I think they're still saying it's somewhere between Saints Row 2 and 3.

This game seems like it was conceptualized it a Twitter vacuum, with the main goal of not getting some shit video game site or commentator pissed at them. But you take a look at the larger pop culture landscape of what people actually watch and there's no fucking reason this shouldn't or couldn't have been crazier than anything they did in Saints Row 2 or 3. Then again I watched some of Volition's streams back when they were doing Agents of Mayhem, where they'd just play some video games, and there seemed to be a shocking level of unawareness of their own industry by some of the developers. Like I couldn't really imagine a director being so unaware of other movies coming out as they were of games.

They've also seemingly completely forgot what the series is in its more regular, non-superpowers versions. Which is: A crazier version of GTA. The Saints Row definitely found it's niche with the second and third game when GTA4 tried being more serious and a little less crazy than the series had previously been. They didn't just land on parody names of places and a dildo weapon, that's GTA shit GTA left behind in GTA4. Saints Row 3 was an extention of shit people like about the second game. Now their take seems to be being some bitch take of GTA.

I'm still kind of surprised they haven't used that destructibility tech they have in a Saints Row. I remember them being asked why they haven't done this thing people would love to see, and they said it's because they don't think people would think it looked good, which just seemed totally crazy and dumb to me. Maybe if they had done it there'd come a day when people looked back at it and thought it looked bad, but nobody else is really doing that, so the novelty of having an openworld sandbox game where you could destroy the city would be enough for people to be into it.

Mostly they seem to want a new game. The details differ, but that's the big thing. I'd guess now they're probably also afraid something like this could happen to the next GTA, so I guess now they have something they can point to as what they don't want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom