Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Salt And Sanctuary (2D "Souls" game)

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://ska-studios.com/games/salt-and-sanctuary/

This will probably not considered an rpg, that's why I am posting this in GG. The game will launch on PS4 and PSVita, but will get a PC release three months later.

The game is a 2D action platforming game with rpg elements. You defeat enemies and collect Salt that they drop. You use the salt to improve your abilities at different Sanctuaries you find during your adventure. If you die from environmental hazards and you are unable to retrieve the salt, you will instead see a bird carrying the salt and you have to kill it. If an enemy kills you. the enemy that defeated you gets infused with the salt to get stronger. The only way to get your salt is to defeat the enemy that killed you. There will be messages, just like in the Souls games, and gravestones function in the same way as bloodstains. There are also different classes you can choose from the start, but you are free to develop your character as you wish. Different gear will spread around the world, and there's a blacksmith and other people that you can add to your sanctuary.

Official site: http://www.ska-studios.com/salt/

Last edited by a moderator:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
or did they copy some of the mechanics ? Looks like the second.

The most obvious thing the copied is the color scheme, oh and of course "salt" instead of "souls". And it will be a Sony exclusive for some time (PS4/Vita).

Luckily their announcement is better than "we make a super hard game and you will die a lot", but they give a little insight in how they approach combat:

Like in The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile, the emphasis in Salt and Sanctuary is stylistic sidescrolling combat: weapons have movesets, air attacks have hang time, and rolling is king. There’s a huge amount of depth to the combat in Salt, however. Weapons can be one-handed and paired with shields or offhand crossbows for versatility, or wielded two-handed for added power — and every configuration has its own unique moveset. There are staffs for magic, bows for ranged combat, and belt-slotted consumables like throwing daggers and weapon-buffing Pitchfire. Of course, loadout weight affects your movement, rolling speed and stamina regen, so a good balance of defense and agility is key. Basically, it combines two things we love: fast, precise 2D combat and super strategic RPG depth. Also, there are curb stomps.

I can't say that I need a 2D Souls though. And it's a platformer, while I'm pretty content with the fact, that Souls isn't.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So.. what.. is this in the same universe as the Souls games, or did they copy some of the mechanics ? Looks like the second.

Copy mechanics.

Sanctuaries = Bonfires
Salt = Souls
You lose Salt on death.
Potions = Estus flasks (works the same way)
Gravestones = Bloodstains
Messages in bottles work like messages in the Souls games.
Stamina for dodging and attacking. Memorize patterns for bosses.
Start with different classes, but you are free to develop your character how you see it fit.
Heavier gear means slower rolls.
Attacks seem to work more or less the same, with heavy attacks, fast attacks, magic and miracles.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Has anyone played any other game by the studio? Some games look cool, I would have already tried the demos if they were available on PC.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I played the second Dishwasher game with my brother and we thought it was a lot of fun.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Has anyone played any other game by the studio? Some games look cool, I would have already tried the demos if they were available on PC.
I have, quite a few as a matter of fact. Not a fan or anything like that but they have released a lot of solid action games on a budget. Their Dishwater series is a great, almost Devil May Cry-ish 2D beat 'em up. Charlie Murder was basically Castle Crashers with loot, which was pretty good. Not amazing, but good. Both games had this weird ironic edgy tone to it, which did weird me out at first. But, gameplay is good so who cares? "I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES 1NIT!!!1" was a trippy top-down shooter with a hilarious soundtrack that couples the title. Extremely fun with four people.

Most of their titles were local co-op, and since that was in the era of declining one-of-the-only-fun-things-about-consolesthey were pretty damn cool. At least if you had an Xbox. Not sure if they're interested in porting, but if you hear something, I would say try them out.

Siveon

Bot
I guess? But that doesn't really apply to this game, as Abu Antar pointed out - there is a direct correlation in mechanics.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Yeah, this is basically a 2D "souls game" in almost every regard. It copies most things but changes the 3D perspective to a 2D perspective and adds some platforming.

On the other hand, I do understand what Hobo Elf means. Lots of games use the term "Soulslike" but in this case, I feel it is warranted. If you like Souls games or not is a different matter.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
PS4 version out next week (March 15). Vita version needs more work. PC version when exclusivity deal ends.

I'm rpboably getting this day one to play with my brother.

Siveon

Bot
Definitely would get it for the Vita if it's a proper souls game as it appear. Portable souls? Yes, please.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Btw, I forgot to mention that it seems that the game will be cross buy. I'll play the PS4 version with my bro and the Vita version in single player.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Playing this and enjoying it. Some bullshit traps have almost killed me, but other than that, die a couple of times to some bosses or enemeis that took me by surprise.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
LOLOLOL BROS I TOLD YOU PCTARDS THE DISHWASHER GAMESE WAS GOOD

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS NOW IF YOU SAID IT WAS A 2D FALLOUT 4 PCTARDS WOULD BE FUCKING SOLD LOLOLLOLL

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Salt or Sanctuary, which is better and why?

I like the game so far, it's a blatant ripoff, but it's a well done ripoff. Certainly much better than Lords of the Fallen and probably better than Bound by Flame, but I didn't play the that one. So far I'm enjoying the knight class the most, just like in Dark Souls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom