Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sam & Max: This Time It's Virtual - VR game

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As much as I love Sam & Max: Hit the Road, if Half-Life didn't get me to buy a VR set then this certainly won't either.

Reminds me I still need to play the third Telltale game...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Some details and screenshots https://happygiant.com/samandmax

3YPx7gI.jpg
yL99Qts.jpg

Sam & Max Return! All-New Game Coming to Virtual Reality in 2021 Legendary Evil-Busting Dog & Bunny’s First Game in a Decade Revealed at Gamescom

GAMESCOM: COLOGNE, GERMANY and BOSTON; FRIDAY, August 28, 2020 -- Sam & Max, the inexplicably legendary suit wearing dog and hyperkinetic rabbit evil-slappers that have captured the hearts and spleens of millions over the decades with their multimedia tomfoolery, are returning to videogames in 2021 - but with a virtual twist. Hot on the heels of the reveal trailer on last night’s Gamescom 2020 opening night coverage, HappyGiant, the award-winning XR game developer, formally announce their upcoming virtual reality game Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual!

Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual! is the Freelance Police’s first original game in over a decade, and the pair’s first foray into VR. The game’s development team includes several team members that worked on the original Sam & Max: Hit the Road by LucasArts in 1992, as well as the Telltale series. The new action adventure title is slated to come out for VR headsets in the first half of 2021.

For the first time ever, gamers will play not as Sam and Max, but alongside them, in virtual reality. Players will be recruited and trained as one of the few, the proud, the miscreant Freelance Police. As a new cadet, the player will be put through a series of graded courses set up by the duo inside an abandoned theme park, which probably harbors a dark and dangerous secret. As players progress, they'll put their new skills to the test in Sam & Max's neighborhood, as well as other locales that defy description (well, not really, we just don't want to tell you about them yet!).

Fans will be happy to learn that HappyGiant has assembled an all-star team of Sam & Max veterans to help them develop the game. Steve Purcell, the creator of Sam & Max, is consulting on the game design, art, and story. Other team members include renowned concept artist Peter Chan, writer and designer Mike Stemmle, and Bay Area Sound. David Nowlin and Dave Boat are returning to voice Sam and Max.

“Decades ahead of the curve, we spoofed what Sam & Max VR might be like. Now, finally we can really step into their world,” says Steve Purcell, the creator of Sam & Max. “HappyGiant is doing an amazing job capturing the flavor of Sam & Max’s bizarre universe. After drawing these characters for so long, it’s mind-blowing to finally walk through the door and actually interact with Sam & Max in VR.”

“It’s like deja vu all over again,” said Mike Levine, CEO of HappyGiant. “To be working with Steve again, as well as Peter, Mike, and Bay Area Sound, is insanely cool, humbling, and just plain weird, after so much time has passed.”

Gameplay Bullets:
● Experience the two-fisted japes and tomfoolery of internationally beloved icons Sam & Max in mind-melting virtual reality!
● So real you can feel Sam’s breath on your neck!
● Gape in stupefied awe as Sam & Max run amok through their sixth or seventh medium, leaving a trail of broken hearts and minds in their wake!
● Push yourself to be the best of the best of the middling, as a dog and a naked rabbity thing harangue you through different Freelance Police Academy training
challenges.
● In an abandoned amusement park they have retrofitted, play as a trainee under Sam & Max’s tutelage/verbal abuse to become a member of the Freelance Police.
● Discover the horrible and socially relevant secrets lurking behind, under, and within Cap’n Aquabear’s rotting theme park!
● Give evil scientists and demonic trespassers their just desserts… with sprinkles!

Boleskine

Arcane
Edge post: while Hit the Road is a fun game I never really considered it among the best LucasArts adventures. Plus, I especially found the Telltale games to be boring and bland.

I’ve been working my way through the LA PnCs over the last year or so and was really surprised at how bland I found Hit the Road since it was one of my favorites as a kid. Probably the weakest LA entry after Full Throttle.
Art in it is great though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Edge post: while Hit the Road is a fun game I never really considered it among the best LucasArts adventures. Plus, I especially found the Telltale games to be boring and bland.

No way I can objectively view Hit the Road because the nostalgia is so strong, but I definitely agree on the Telltale stuff (the first two anyway). Not bad really, but just incredibly bland.

Dexter

Arcane

https://archive.is/sREjO
‘Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual!’ Coming to Oculus Quest This June
Oculus Blog | March 31, 2021

Sam & Max have been in the business of entertaining their die-hard fans and winning over new converts for decades, from comics and an animated series to the 1993 cult classic PC adventure game from LucasArts and beyond. Now, thanks to HappyGiant and publisher Big Sugar, the dynamic duo makes their first foray into VR with Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual! This all-new adventure arrives on the Oculus Quest Platform this June, and lands later this year on SteamVR and Viveport Infinity. Look for a PlayStation VR release in early 2022.

“HappyGiant has assembled an all-star team of LucasArts veterans and created a game dripping with nostalgia, as well as being on the cutting edge of VR gaming,” says Big Sugar CEO Nick Alfieri. “Whether you are an old school Sam & Max fan or new to the franchise, this game has something for everyone.”

Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell joins developer Happy Giant as consultant on all things hilarious—and ongame design, art, and story. LucasArts veterans Peter Chan (concept artist) and Mike Stemmle (writer & designer) of Sam & Max Hit the Road are also among the Happy Giant ranks bringing us This Time It’s Virtual! Rounding out the team are Julian Kwasneski and Jared Emerson-Johnson of Bay Area Sound, who worked on the episodic Telltale Games series.

eb81370c34745fcd0f1f12f8f6854424fe0357a3.png

This is the first original Sam & Max game in over a decade, poised to deliver madcap adventure like only VR can. The game combines the rapid-fire banter and classic crime solving with specialized Freelance Police training exercises, bringing the player along for a furious day of obstacle courses, monster slaying, and saving the world.

a6bd1462c9041685f95923b1fa33f2186ad52c6a.png

“We’ve created something insanely weird and fun,” says HappyGiant CEO Mike Levine. “It’s breaking new ground for VR, while staying true to the Sam & Max / LucasArts vibe.”

1380be92a1fcd55a29cb49e1d9ec36fa7a1d0e72.png

Grab your fedora and stock up on ammo—Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual! is bringing some off-kilter comedy-adventure to the Quest Platform this June.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silentstorm

Learned
No one has ever attempted a new point and click with a big budget, more story heavy games that are really focused on story tend to revolve mostly around cutscenes or are QTE stuff, Telltale, Quantic Dream and Life Is Strange are the closest we've gotten to adventure games with big budgets but it's still not ideal.

I guess it's thought to be an old fashioned niche genre, and people complain about old puzzles and ignore the newer games, but honestly, if people buy walking simulators and big budget games like Death Stranding, i can see people buying adventure games nowadays, heck, the fact that there would be dialogue and puzzles to solve would give something to do other than walking, even if i can't see a big budget game having tough or absurd puzzles these days.

Also, i really doubt we will ever get a game like Sam and Max Hit The Road ever again, not that all their games were comedic all the damn time, but Sierra and Lucasarts certainly had their share of games with humor in them, and Sam and Max is absolutely a comedic Lucasarts title...and it feels like aside from like Nintendo, no developer ever wants to do a big budget game with tons of humor unless it's lame references to other games.

Particularly the more serious and artistic games that just want to be a movie, the days when developers would show cutting edge technology and invest a lot of money for a game such as Monkey Island 2 are far gone and it sucks.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have limited experience with VR, and it largely felt like a gimmick to me, but I could see point and click adventure games working pretty well in VR. Are there a lot of point and click adventure games on VR?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Out on Oculus:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom