Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Satellite Reign - Syndicate Wars spiritual successor from original devs

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I can't play this, get about 10 FPS or less, even with all graphics options off.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Nah Unity games can run well, it's just that they probably haven't done any optimization, so if you want to be able to play this you'll need like an i7 4970K CPU or some shit to even get half-decent FPS.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS preview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/17/satellite-reign-alpha-review/

Spritual Syndicate sequel/remake Satellite Reign arrived on Steam Early Access last week. Can it possibly live up to its hallowed Bullfrog cyberpunk squad shooter legacy? I jacked in to find out.

The bad news: we’re running out of things that we want spiritual sequels to! Everything we ever wanted is coming true! CRISIS IN VIDEOGAMELAND.

The good news: Syndicate remake (of a sort) Satellite Reign is hot.

The middling news: I don’t have too much to say that Jim didn’t already write a couple of months ago. The initial Early Access version of 5 Lives’ squad-based, semi-open-world shooterette is broadly similar to the backers’ build from October. Many missing features, plenty of bugs, performance issues, placeholder this and that everywhere.

Experiencing first-hand just how well it’s already brought its concept to life has delighted me, though. This cyberpunk city is there, it seems huge and busy, and trekking through it is as difficult as I want to make it. It’s not Syndicate, because Syndicate never did anything on this scale: instead, it’s what Syndicate felt like back in DOStimes.

Two things particularly stand out. One is the look of the thing – this is your Blade Runner city, darkness shot through with dramatically-sized neon advertising and the blood-red glow of hardline authority. It feels like a city on the near-horizon, not of the distant future, and is strewn with enough incidental detail to make it convincingly worn down and grubby as well as high-tech. It’s big, too: even though at present it’s just a section of a city, it feels like crossing a city, not like being penned into a arbitrary zone.

The essentially tininess of the Syndicate camera is preserved, so your squad of enhanced agents seem insignificant and fragile against the great, uncaring backdrop of the city. It’s a CCTV’s eye-view of the world, the player naturally taking on the role of, if not quite dispassionate observer, then at least icy-gazed overseer who cares only about the objective, not the people.

The second thing is that your four agents have distinct roles. One does stealth and access to rooftop ziplines; another can hack terminals, ATMs and people; another heals or gees up the team with, effectively, a slo-mo drug; another is really very good at shooting stuff. Thus, the city becomes a puzzlebox rather than a bird’s eye GTA.

Send him here, hack open that door; turn him invisible, sneak him in there, take out that camera, knife that guard. Alternatively, pour your points and your playstyle into all-out assault, turn up at the front gate and unleash iron-skinned, slow-motion hell. Hell begats hell, however, so either get in and get out very quickly or prepare for a long siege.

There are ripples of possibility from every attempted incursion, and right now I’m enjoying watching them spread. The game is in a rickety state right now, no doubt about that, but nothing like enough to destroy what’s working so very well here.

The big question is how this will all play out on a wider, and longer-lasting stage. Car stuff is super-buggy at present, augmentations and weapon upgrades aren’t in there yet, so there’s no way to tell how bigger stuff will affect the delicate balance of combat, and right now missions (selected in an order of your choice from a rudimentary and placeholder menu) don’t entail anything more than getting inside somewhere. The fun is how you get inside, of course, but I suspect it’s going to need a better pay-off if it’s to be done regularly.

There’s a long way to go for sure, and don’t anticipate spending more than a few hours with the current build, but it’s that rare and precious Early Access thing – a game that gets its fundamentals right, right out of the gate, and I’m actively keen to watch it grow, rather than being frustrated by everything that isn’t there.

Most of all, this: Satellite Reign is on course to be the Syndicate we need, not simply the Syndicate we wanted. Please don’t let anything go wrong.

Satellite Reign is available on Steam Early Access now.

Branm

Learned
Pretty good review....totally agree that the fundamentals which are there can lead to a great game.

Do note that performance is absolute shit right now....Averaging 10-15 FPS on a I7 3630, 12gb ram and a gtx 675

Echo Mirage

Arcane
330mb update coming down on steam right now.
Update Version 0.2.9 Release Notes
18 December - oukruk
NOTE: Lots of fixes have been put in place for the save game in this release. This does mean that previous saves will not work with the new version of the game.

Mac: There's a known issue with some mac's that we haven't been able to recreate/fix yet where it doesn't run in medium or fantastic quality, for now select "Older PC Quality" then in the options menu enable the settings suitable for your mac.

Bug fixes and gameplay changes:

• Atm suspicion values fixed (no longer going into negatives)
  • Fix Infiltrators sword attack animations
  • Fix Infiltrators sword attack energy drain
  • Infiltrators sword attack charge distance increased to 15m
  • Melee kick distance reduced to 3m
  • Add District + Location Bonuses info in resource panel
  • Fix guard station not giving bonuses
  • Fix assassination bonus not working
  • Fix cctv slowdown not working (District level)
  • Decreased base cctv suspicion time to 3.5
  • Fix bug where cctv suspicion was climbing at half rate
  • Increased time for cctv cameras to stay suspicious before cooling down
  • Fix skills saving and loading
  • Fix not being able to run or sprint if the agent is already walking
  • Added vertical scale markers to status bars.
  • Added more user interface sound effects
  • Update quest logs to show all previous entries. (Collapsing individual entries still to come)
  • Fix not being able to spawn soldier with load and save bug.
  • Fix Load and Save of parked cars, fix traffic breaking after load game
  • Fix Brain Dead Civilians
  • Fix Cowering Civilians
  • Add Jobs and BasicInteraction to save System
  • Load And Save popus up a success/fail window
  • Fix Stuttering Enemies and repeated vocals
  • Stop Enemies seeing you through walls on occasion
  • Fix agents refusing to Move after reviving in cover
  • Fix 30 second pause when destroying some cover
  • Fix item association with facilities not saving and loading
  • Consolidated doctors and scientists into 1 "Researchers" category
  • Issue agent commands on mouse down rather than mouse up.
  • Orient Players to vertical when exiting car on a slope
  • Fix hijacked civs not using cover

Thanks again for all the input, videos and bug reports! They really help us figure out what some of the big problems are and how to fix them. :D
    - Chris

naossano

Cipher
Satellite Reign/Invisible Inc./Cyberpunk 2077/Shadowrun/Metrocide/Transistor/Tesla Effect:Tex Murphy Adventure/Deus Ex: Human Revolution
All recent or upcoming...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i can. still had some nice ideas. anyhoo, i welcome a new wave of cyberpunk. especially since sr doesn't really do much in that regard for me due to fantasy stuff in it.

Last edited:

Branm

Learned
Performance seems much improved....Well I used to literally average like 5FPS on a i7 3630, gtx 675m and 12gb ram....

Getting like 18 FPS now all maxed

sser

Arcane
Developer
This game's currently on sale - any new thoughts?

Branm

Learned
Still no destructible terrain?

I asked the same thing got this as reply:

There is more to come in terms of destructibility but it'll mostly be cosmetic, we ran into technical and budgetary limitations. All the signs, neon, cover, crates etc should have some level of destruction states. While the buildings will have an overlayed destructive shader-based effect. Those effects will be triggered by the larger explosive effects like grenades, rocket launchers etc.

Marobug

we ran into technical and budgetary limitations

I've heard this before, and it all went downhill shortly after.
Indie devs+kickstarter=features cut due to "budgetary limitations".
How the fuck did they blow roughly 600k dollars in a year and a half ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom