Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Satellite Reign - Syndicate Wars spiritual successor from original devs

bonescraper

:nocountryforshitposters:

spectre

Arcane
I spent some time with the recent beta, but I admit, I didn't go to far.

Some first impressions:
Pretty much as expected, its barely playable at the moment due to many, many annoying bugs and a general lack of polish
I've seen agents are often getting stuck or falling through the geometry into oblivion, but thankfully It doesn't happen too often. It seems to have gotten worse since alpha, but
that's probably due to more code.

Agent customization is almost over the top, you can scan random pedestrians to look for a suitable material for cloning that'll give you a boost to your stats.
Furthermore, you can unlock abilities with skillpoints, my only gripe here is that everything looks useful, and you gain the points pretty slowly.
And then there's the loadout selection, weapon mods, augments (I've yet to see any though). Plenty of stuff to do here.

The presentation is good, I think it really does justice to the originals and give you that cyberpunk feel.

The actual gameplay is pretty much sandbox, once you're done with the tutorial stuff, you're free to roam the city, do sidequests and build up your team to tackle the big missions.
Combat is very different from what you remember from syndicates, each character has a class and a bunch of useful abilities. Firefights are more dependant on cover, and are less clicky clicky.
Overall, it has more depth and feels more strategic, but I am not sure if its in a good way. Somehow, somewhere, the feeling of wanton destruction has been lost.
Maybe its pick up once I unlock more boomsticks and character abilities, we'll see.
On the other hand, it's nice to be able to use actual stealth from time to time.

I can't put my finger on it, but my biggest gripe so far is that the game looks like it's got all the pieces, but it all somehow doesn't come together as a fun game.
Maybe its just me, maybe its deviated too far from the original formula, or perhaps it just needs a tiny bit of spit and polish, or maybe I need to spend more time with it and readjust.
On the one hand, I welcome the added depth and challenge, but I think its something wrong when the game's main attraction - the firefights - feel like a bother sometimes.
This is especially painful when the police come sniffing around your ass for no apparent reason, forcing you to waste precious time swatting them. And the fuckers will come at you in droves.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I spent some time with the recent beta, but I admit, I didn't go to far.

Some first impressions:
Pretty much as expected, its barely playable at the moment due to many, many annoying bugs and a general lack of polish
I've seen agents are often getting stuck or falling through the geometry into oblivion, but thankfully It doesn't happen too often. It seems to have gotten worse since alpha, but
that's probably due to more code.

Agent customization is almost over the top, you can scan random pedestrians to look for a suitable material for cloning that'll give you a boost to your stats.
Furthermore, you can unlock abilities with skillpoints, my only gripe here is that everything looks useful, and you gain the points pretty slowly.
And then there's the loadout selection, weapon mods, augments (I've yet to see any though). Plenty of stuff to do here.

The presentation is good, I think it really does justice to the originals and give you that cyberpunk feel.

The actual gameplay is pretty much sandbox, once you're done with the tutorial stuff, you're free to roam the city, do sidequests and build up your team to tackle the big missions.
Combat is very different from what you remember from syndicates, each character has a class and a bunch of useful abilities. Firefights are more dependant on cover, and are less clicky clicky.
Overall, it has more depth and feels more strategic, but I am not sure if its in a good way. Somehow, somewhere, the feeling of wanton destruction has been lost.
Maybe its pick up once I unlock more boomsticks and character abilities, we'll see.
On the other hand, it's nice to be able to use actual stealth from time to time.

I can't put my finger on it, but my biggest gripe so far is that the game looks like it's got all the pieces, but it all somehow doesn't come together as a fun game.
Maybe its just me, maybe its deviated too far from the original formula, or perhaps it just needs a tiny bit of spit and polish, or maybe I need to spend more time with it and readjust.
On the one hand, I welcome the added depth and challenge, but I think its something wrong when the game's main attraction - the firefights - feel like a bother sometimes.
This is especially painful when the police come sniffing around your ass for no apparent reason, forcing you to waste precious time swatting them. And the fuckers will come at you in droves.
I pirated the beta last night and I felt pretty much the same, the game is complex, the world is huge, the setting is interesting, but the overall game feels a little shallow, maybe it's the story or the missions.

naossano

Cipher
One week after SR HK ?
Unless SR is very short, it seems like a weird timing.

About the lack of polish, it will be taking care with Cyberpunk 2077.

Delbaeth

Learned
I forgot that SR's author Zimmerman had written a novella for Satellite Reign. Very nice.

zeitgeist

Magister
One week after SR HK ?
Unless SR is very short
, it seems like a weird timing.
Finished SR:HK in half a day. Now I want more little computer people to dismember and attach cybernetic limbs to. Can anyone who has EA comment on how feature-complete it is at this point?

naossano

Cipher
I don't have the luxury to dispose of half a day for myself.
So far, i just have talked to the old lady for the second or third time. I just have been given my HQ.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's out now and apparantly decent enough for those hankering for some more Syndicate. And aren't we all?

http://www.pcgamer.com/satellite-reign-review/

My biggest complaint is how the game feels. It has none of the punchy, kinetic weight of XCOM or StarCraft, which isometric, top-down games like this really need to sell their combat—to compensate for your distance from the action. Your agents’ movement is slow and heavy, making battles feel sluggish. It’s a hard thing to articulate in words: it just lacks that slickness that many of its peers have. It’s also light on world-building beyond its visuals, with a plot and setting that aren’t as fleshed out as they could have been. If it’s an engaging story you want, try the Shadowrun series: this is a game about the stories you create by playing.

These are issues that haunt every moment of play, but otherwise, Satellite Reign is one of the most enjoyable small-squad strategy games I’ve played in a long time. I love how it blends tactical combat with an open-world structure and Deus Ex-inspired freedom. Creeping through a heavily defended enemy base unseen is a thrill, and if things go awry, there are lots of combat options to experiment with. Messing up is never a bad thing, because adapting and surviving is so much fun. Then you slip back into the darkness of those rain-lashed streets until the heat dies down, and you search the map for the next bank, military facility, or police station to hit.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I still can't get over the fact that nobody seems to care about the lack of environmental destruction, I mean the vast majority of gaming "journalists" obviously never played SWARS but backers of Satellite Reign and Codexers!?

Blowing up entire buildings and even entire cities was erm groundbreaking and a huge part of what made SWARS SWARS, one can sadly still only imagine how awesome this kind of full environmental destruction could be on 2015 hardware but then again this is a Unity game and apparently it already runs p bad in its current "static" state.

Are there no Nuclear Grenades and... Satellite Rain in Satellite Reign or what?

+M

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still can't get over the fact that nobody seems to care about the lack of environmental destruction, I mean the vast majority of gaming "journalists" obviously never played SWARS but backers of Satellite Reign and Codexers!?

Well, right now I'm not seeing too many people who care about the game at all.

Angthoron

Arcane

Blowing up entire buildings and even entire cities was erm groundbreaking and a huge part of what made SWARS SWARS, one can sadly still only imagine how awesome this kind of full environmental destruction could be on 2015 hardware but then again this is a Unity game and apparently it already runs p bad in its current "static" state.

Are there no Nuclear Grenades and... Satellite Rain in Satellite Reign or what?

+M
SWARS creators intended environments to not be destructible. However, code and graphics were so horrible that buildings would collapse when meeting with projectiles.

Modern day devs fixed this.

Lern ur histry m8.

Athelas

Arcane
You are aware that Red Faction: Guerrilla (made a few years ago) surpasses the original in terms of destructible environment and physics simulation, right?

Not sure about some of those other games, but I'm pretty sure they have some novel mechanics as well.

Last edited:

likaq

Arcane
You are aware that Red Fsction: Guerrilla (made a few years ago) surpasses the original in terms of destructible environment and physics simulation in most respects, right?

The exception proves the rule.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
The exception proves the rule.
More like 'everything declines in a perfectly straightforward slope down' is a false rule.

:nocountryforshitposters:

No, I am not. Please show me a video where they dynamically deform the terrain.

Guerrilla's destruction mechanics are a lot more complex than the original Red Faction's, which amounted to little more than 'hey, you can create a hole in the ground...that leads to nowhere'. Besides, the technology was still there, Volition/THQ just focused on a different sort of destructible environment.

I'm not sure why you think posting a video where someone blows away the surface from under a building yet that building still remains standing is going to help your argument.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yet something as simple as making a hole in the ground is not possible, yes? Some progress. Being able to collapse fixed set pieces is cool, but that is a different thing.

I'd still pick the original's ability to make improvised escape tunnels over Guerilla's destructible buildings (that stand on a single rebar).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom