Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
CIG_GAMES_CORP.jpg

RPG Codex Star Citizen FAQ
transshipkruvg.png

Roberts Space Industries Homepage
Star Citizen Wikia
Collection of in-depth FAQs, links, and guides
RPG Codex Star Citizen Squadron thread

What is Star Citizen?
Star Citizen is a space combat and trading simulation game under development by Cloud Imperium Games, founded by Chris Roberts, former Origin Systems developer and creator of the Wing Commander franchise. Star Citizen will be PC-exclusive and is 100% crowdfunded.

Will Star Citizen be single-player, multiplayer, or a massively multiplayer online game?
It will be all of the above. Although the project as a whole is collectively referred to as "Star Citizen," there will be three game modes: a single-player campaign called "Squadron 42," featuring cinematic cutscenes and a branching 50-mission campaign structure in which the player pilots Hornets and other military starships while serving on a Bengal carrier; user-hosted, mod-able multiplayer, which will offer an online-enabled sandbox universe to fight and trade in either solo or with friends; and finally the MMO portion, often referred to as the "Persistent Universe" (PU), in which hundreds of thousands of players will all fight and trade in the same persisent game universe. There are no "shards" in the Star Citizen PU—everyone plays in the same universe.

How much does it cost?
The least expensive pledge package granting access to Squadron 42, user-hosted mod-able multiplayer, the Persistent Universe, alpha and beta access, a few miscellaneous perks, and an Aurora starter ship costs $45 at this time. A version without Squadron 42 should be available for $35. However, if you contact an original backer (myself, other Codexers [to be listed]), they can purchase the same packages that you can more cheaply, and any included ships will have Lifetime Insurance (until November 26, 2013). LTI will be explained later in this FAQ.

What are the system requirements?
The exact requirements are unknown at this time, but Star Citizen will push the limits of high-end gaming rigs circa 2014. Expect to need, at minimum, a high-end Sandy Bridge CPU (or equivalent), an Nvidia GTX 780 (or ATI equivalent), 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 64-bit OS, and DirectX 11 to play the game with relatively high visual fidelity and smooth performance. For maximum fidelity and performance, more/more expensive components will likely be needed. Note however that Chris Roberts has stated they'll ensure middle-of-the-road rigs can run the game fairly well at lower settings without looking terrible or running choppily.

When will Star Citizen be released?
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Anticipated_release_schedule

How does ship insurance work, and what is LTI?
There are three types of insurance: hull insurance, upgrade insurance, and cargo insurance. Hull insurance is universally available to all players, inexpensive, long-lasting, and offers replacement of a player's basic ship and its stock upgrades in case his ship is destroyed. Upgrade and cargo insurance are each purchased separately from hull insurance, are more expensive than hull insurance, become progressively more expensive if coverage in more dangerous areas of space is desired, and compensate the player for his ship's upgrades or cargo, respectively, in case his ship is destroyed. In lawless fringe space, no upgrade or cargo insurance coverage is available.

Lifetime Insurance (LTI) is simply hull insurance that costs nothing. Otherwise, it functions identically. Hull insurance is inexpensive and readily available, so this is a minor boon/convenience.

How will the game world be structured?
There will be 100 star systems at launch, each featuring planets, moons, and/or space stations, some of which will contain starports where players can land their ships, mingle at bars, shop for items, purchase repairs, and so on. There will be secondary points of interest such as asteroid fields, hidden asteroid bases, space hulks, pirate bases, and so on to discover. Different systems will have different themes, such as pirate-held systems, military strongholds, corporate synthworlds, the heart of United Earth Empire space, alien homeworlds, etc. Some systems are hidden and their jump points must be discovered and mapped by players. Each player gets a starting hangar somewhere in the universe, and may rent/own additional hangars elsewhere.

Is there PvP (player versus player) combat? How does it work?
There is PvP, and it's open, free-for-all PvP, meaning conflict can happen anywhere (or nearly anywhere) in space. If your ship is destroyed, it's lost to you other than any leftover salvage, but may be replaced by insurance as described above. However, there are NPC police vessels on hand at the heart of human and alien civilzations that will respond to acts of aggression within their civilization's sphere of influence. Aggressors' reputations with that civilization will suffer, and though the victim may not be saved, the aggressors' ship(s) will likely be destroyed. As you move further away from the heart of an empire and out towards lawless fringe space, the police presence lessens until finally disappearing entirely.

Will there be "guilds"?
Yes, though very little information is available regarding their structuring and mechanics at this time.

Will there be "gathering" and "crafting"?
Of a sort, yes. Asteroids can be mined for minerals, players may purchase and manage planetside factories, and there will also be a limited number of space stations available for players to control and manage. There will also be a workbench item for players' hangars allowing fine-tuning and "overclocking" of various ship components.

Will there be "player housing"?
Yes. Players' hangars and adjoining rooms (conference rooms, war rooms, lounges and the like are planned) will exist wherein players can congregate with friends. Larger ship interiors will also serve as housing of sorts. In addition, there will be hidden bases to discover in outer place, which players may seize control of and use as a "guild base." Hangars, ship interiors, and bases can be decorated with various items, such as fish tanks, wall posters, trophies, workbenches, and knickknacks.

FAQ courtesy of Blaine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keshik

Arcane
Well that was slightly underwhelming. Maybe some sort of Privateer Online type game ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have nothing but the lowest expectations from the director of the Wing Commander movie.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
From The Chairman:
Welcome!
If you’ve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.
If not, you’re still welcome!
I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.
I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in film.
I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back.
With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.
With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.
If you’ve played my games, you’ll know that’s what I love to do.
I’m here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.
I hope you’ll be as excited by it as I am.
My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with me.
If you register below you’ll become an insider that will not only give you early access to the game’s website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and privileges that no one else will get. It’s my way of showing how important your early involvement and support is.
The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of the 10th month of this year.
My name is Chris Roberts.
And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you.

A counter to a counter. Who wud have thought dat!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why use your own money when you can use other peoples?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Back in the day each new Roberts game implied having to get a new pc. Amazingly enough people actually considered his games to be reason enough as well. That mofo pushed the industry like no other. Hoping we'll see a return to form here.

And fuck him to hell and back if this is some shit f2p or social media crap.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
With the power of today’s computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of.
Say hello to your newest MMO!

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I always thought he was of less importance than Garriott, but if he does not go the Zynga way, we know who got better in the long run.

GreyViper

Prophet
I always thought he was of less importance than Garriott, but if he does not go the Zynga way, we know who got better in the long run.
You might be right in there, but he and his brother did leave awesome legacy. Even Freelancer for all its faults provided a great modding platform fore awesome mods. I just rather hope he is not at the same point as dear Doctors, burned out and fed up by current gaming culture.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
I have nothing but the lowest expectations from the director of the Wing Commander movie.

You're not worthy enough to be reading this thread let alone writing Chris name. If not for WC there would be no Xwings and Freespace.

Wing commanders are the best action space sims to this day along with totaly games sims and freespace.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Seems Chris likes to be cryptic, here is from the counter page

Answer to the ultimate question
Of Life, The universe...
.. and everything
What's 7X6?

Ok what the fuck is 7X6 ??

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom