Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
I think the biggest issue was, is and forever will be the engine.

I think the biggest issue was, is and forever will be C.Roberts leading projects.

Edgetard

Educated

I think the biggest issue was, is and forever will be C.Roberts leading projects.
He refuses to think to himself, maybe I should compromise in this area, and instead decides to have his "masterpiece" be vapourware for eternity. Plus that stupid waste of money that was the "cool" door at the dev studio, what the fuck was he thinking.
I'm sure when I shuffle off my mortal coil and burn in hell this game will still be in eternal alpha.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

He refuses to think to himself, maybe I should compromise in this area, and instead decides to have his "masterpiece" be vapourware for eternity. Plus that stupid waste of money that was the "cool" door at the dev studio, what the fuck was he thinking.
I'm sure when I shuffle off my mortal coil and burn in hell this game will still be in eternal alpha.
No, he understands that the main thing that threatens his ability to float around on a boat made of cash is making his game a reality which will fail to live up to the dreams of the poor bastards who've been bankrolling him to date. So he needs to give the just enough of a dream to get them to pay, but not enough for reality to set in.

Edgetard

Educated

No, he understands that the main thing that threatens his ability to float around on a boat made of cash is making his game a reality which will fail to live up to the dreams of the poor bastards who've been bankrolling him to date. So he needs to give the just enough of a dream to get them to pay, but not enough for reality to set in.
Fair I guess Im coming from this on the idea that he actually wants the game to release, less because he cares about the tards who spent the gdp of a South American country on this "game", but because he is an ego maniac and wants the "biggest bestest" game ever to have his name on it.
Meanwhile you got the more cynical view of him just milking these tards till the heat death of the universe.

Zeriel

Arcane

This and why compromise on your dream if you don't have to? Most artists only finish their shit because they have a deadline and bills to pay. If you get paid to not deliver...

Edgetard

Educated

This and why compromise on your dream if you don't have to? Most artists only finish their shit because they have a deadline and bills to pay. If you get paid to not deliver...
Well when the money runs out on this ride the end products going to be REALLY funny to lambast. XX(X?) years and all I got was this posts placed on Roberts gravestone.

Zeriel

Arcane

Well when the money runs out on this ride the end products going to be REALLY funny to lambast. XX(X?) years and all I got was this posts placed on Roberts gravestone.

I dunno you have people in this very thread saying because they got a test alpha that doesn't really work that it was worth the money they spent. At this point I truly believe that even if they never deliver a final product the backers will find a way to defend it.

Edgetard

Educated
I dunno you have people in this very thread saying because they got a test alpha that doesn't really work that it was worth the money they spent. At this point I truly believe that even if they never deliver a final product the backers will find a way to defend it.
How long will it take, Elite dangerous, for all the shit I'll give them already has space feet in their game, this game's not even close to finishing its alpha stage.

ADL

Prophet
I thought that game was finished a long time ago? Are they still releasing DLC, or just patching?
They're still releasing DLC but as soon as one comes out it's pretty much abandoned in favor of the next big thing as is always the case in buy2play games. Horizons planetary landings and vehicles was extremely meh and Odyssey space legs expansion was downright awful after being hyped up for so long. There's a reason Elite Dangerous players left for Star Citizen in droves. 36% positive a year and a half since launching and patching it.

Star Citizen = $45
Elite Dangerous = $60, Horizons = $30, Odyssey = $40
lol, lmao even

Last edited:

Edgetard

Educated
I thought that game was finished a long time ago? Are they still releasing DLC, or just patching?
They're still releasing DLC but as soon as one comes out it's pretty much abandoned in favor of the next big thing as is always the case in buy2play games. Horizons planetary landings and vehicles was extremely meh and Odyssey space legs expansion was downright awful after being hyped up for so long. There's a reason Elite Dangerous players left for Star Citizen in droves. 36% positive a year and a half since launching and patching it.

Star Citizen = $45
Elite Dangerous = $60, Horizons = $30, Odyssey = $40
lol, lmao even

Elite Dangerous=playable game
Star Citizen=vapourware
I can and will always shit on ED for sucking cock and being worse then it should, but I can play it in its entirety, from the spaceport to space combat to a planet to a firefight on that planet. It's BAD but it is there.
How many more years till I have to eat a shoe for shit talking SC, Another decade maybe? I look forward to quitting ED, much like every ED player, but Frontier has a game, Roberts doesnt.
Also you don't have to pay for horizons anymore, the suckers who did, me, got a "nice" paintjob, thanks frontier really makes me feel special, as in special needs.

Myobi

Liturgist
There's a reason Elite Dangerous players left for Star Citizen in droves.

... or so every SC fanatic keeps claiming, yet: https://steamcharts.com/app/359320 , and that's just Steam alone, it peaks at 27,568 players with the DLC then it stabilizes back after a while, you'll see the same happening with every game & dlc release.

Meanwhile:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...like-to-know-more.75932/page-391#post-8173519

You have C.Roberts bragging about a daily player base of 50,000 back in 2022, which roughly translates into an 6,000 hourly average, and again, those players aren't spread trough different platforms and PC storefronts.

Claiming that ED players are “flocking” to SC based on a few posts created on SC reddit from freshly created accounts from self-claimed ex-ED players saying that SC is the best thing since sliced bread is utterly retarded, just like the entire "Its ok for SC to be shit because that other game was also shit" premise, the sort of dumb shit that is highly expected from someone like you.

Zeriel

Arcane
Most artists only finish their shit because they have a deadline and bills to pay.

This is completely baseless and pulled from nowhere.

By the looks of things, it may be how Roberts sees this project, sure. Although I think his ego wants it done and done well ASAP.

Lol no it isn't, it's pulled both from my own experiences as a writer and watching others for like... my entire lifetime (so 30+ years). There are a plethora of examples in publishing, for instance. It's infamous how slow established writers get when they reach the "take as long as you want" stage. Look at G.R.R Martin for a recent example, he's spent over a decade writing one book. There are plenty of other examples.

Most visual artists work for a corporation or employer who requires deadlines, and most need to work to pay their bills. Now of course this isn't everyone, there are those who get a real kick out of putting their work out there regularly and seeing how others react to it, but it is a basic aspect of human psychology. Without a restriction you're laboring under, your productivity will likely plummet.

Edgetard

Educated
Look at G.R.R Martin for a recent example, he's spent over a decade writing one book. There are plenty of other examples.
That's because he's a hack that doesn't know how to write a proper ending, he's great at creating depth but to create a satisfyingly ending he can't hence why the tv show ended so badly, he gave them his general ideas and they fell FLAT.
Now granted the morons incharge of the tv show couldnt write their way out of a paper bag, but that's not the focus.

Zeriel

Arcane
An artist finishing a painting, sculpture or whatever, then selling it has been the standard operating procedure for the vast majority of working artists for centuries.

...Are you really this dense? I'm saying if they don't need money, then that motivation is gone. Some artists still will do it anyway because they enjoy having their work out there, but most people are working under the motivational principle of needing money. That's true for unemployed artists too who are cranking out art at a frantic pace; they're trying to build a portfolio and get noticed so they can make money. Find a bunch of artists who are independently wealthy and work their asses off like that. I'll wait.

And yes it's true that most people AREN'T independently wealthy, but this process really shouldn't be controversial, I don't know why you have such a difficult time believing it.

Look at G.R.R Martin for a recent example, he's spent over a decade writing one book. There are plenty of other examples.
That's because he's a hack that doesn't know how to write a proper ending, he's great at creating depth but to create a satisfyingly ending he can't hence why the tv show ended so badly, he gave them his general ideas and they fell FLAT.
Now granted the morons incharge of the tv show couldnt write their way out of a paper bag, but that's not the focus.

This dates back to before the last book, and even the TV show at all. The further along he got, the slower his writing became. It's not restricted to him at all though, it's a consistent pattern with writers who become established/are set financially. Hell, even Michael Moorcock who is a fucking supergenius and I'm sure is still capable of producing at lightspeed slowed down remarkably as time went on. In his pulp fiction days the dude was writing a novella a DAY. It turns out when you need to produce or starve, you create a lot more than when you are completely safe and secure. But no, apparently this isn't the case, and some people are just "dumb" and "lazy". Holy shit the mental acrobatics.

thesecret1

Arcane
This dates back to before the last book, and even the TV show at all. The further along he got, the slower his writing became. It's not restricted to him at all though, it's a consistent pattern with writers who become established/are set financially. Hell, even Michael Moorcock who is a fucking supergenius and I'm sure is still capable of producing at lightspeed slowed down remarkably as time went on. In his pulp fiction days the dude was writing a novella a DAY. It turns out when you need to produce or starve, you create a lot more than when you are completely safe and secure. But no, apparently this isn't the case, and some people are just "dumb" and "lazy". Holy shit the mental acrobatics.
It can be a tactic. If you finish a series like that, then once the interest falls off, you'll find it a lot harder to profit from it – the fans will get their conclusion and move on to something else (I mean, consider, just how much interest does, say, Narnia generate nowadays?). However, while they're still waiting for the next book, they become highly receptive to any other kind of derivative shit. So you can lend your IP to merchandise, video games, spin offs, etc., and your name alone can secure you lucrative contracts (as your fanbase will go and check the product out, whatever it is, due to your name alone). G.R.R. is an old fat fuck that knows that this is the last series he's ever gonna crank out, so he's milking it big so as to make sure he can have a very comfortable retirement. Can't really blame him for that. Hopefully he'll actually finish the series before dying of fat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom