Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Zeriel

Arcane
Find a bunch of artists who are independently wealthy and work their asses off like that. I'll wait.

I'm not talking about artists working their asses off. No one was. What the fuck? My point is that most artists finish their work! Why are you adding all this nonsense?

Okay I give up, clearly the process of logic is beyond you, you can't even grasp the basics of my original argument and consider it irrelevant.

"What does mass have to do with gravity, bro?! Stop adding all this extra nonsense!"

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I understand your logic 100% and even agreed that that may well be the reason for all of the stalling on this game. I expressed this in my posts.

It's your assertion that most artists only complete shit for the sake of deadlines that I found absurd, because it is absurd.

The vast majority of artists like to actually finish what they're doing. Every fucking library and museum on Earth is a testament to this.

I think Chris Roberts genuinely wanted to deliever the ultimate space game, but then he ran into the reality that his project was poorly planned and overscoped and ran into the roadblock that the servers simply cannot handle a fraction of all the stuff he wanted and this problem hasn't been fixed for coming up on 8 years since the servers first went live and it's looking like they will never be fixed, so there is no way he can deliever the game has envisioned. But it's not interest in Roberts to publicly admit that, lest a hellstorm come his way, so he says nothing.

Look at G.R.R Martin for a recent example, he's spent over a decade writing one book.

Martin's problem is that he didn't have a regular writing routine. Whereas other authors are pushing out books every few months, it took Martin years to get around to pushing out his fantasy novels. Then a show adapting his books blew up and he got rich and had little motivation to actually finish them now that he was set for life, and then the show ended and he saw the negative reaction and probably got scared since the broad strokes were more or less how he intended to finish his novels, so he has no reason to sit down and spend the effort writing a novel that will be disliked anyway when he doesn't need the money.

Myobi

Liturgist
Roflmao, Val the Moofia Boss wtf is going on with MMO-C, dude is inactive for 3 years, comes back and necros the thread just to call me a cunt x,D

Still a better love story than Twilight, but holy fuck.

It's typical fanboyism. Fandoms have become a secular religion, a pop cult centered around plastic toys and pixels and jpegs. It's not just exclusive to MMOs, but pretty much any fandom that has been going long enough, be it Trails or Pokemon or RWBY or Star Wars or whatever. People get too invested in something, perhaps dropping a lot of money on and spending hundreds to thousands of hours of their lives playing or watching that thing and engaging in the fandom and talking about it online. That fandom becomes a part of their "identity", and they perceive attacks on the things they like as an attack on themselves.

Myobi

Liturgist
... but 3 fucking years without make a post my dude, and comes back just for that, Jesus Christ, should I become worried about fucking SC crazies knocking on my door trying to force me buying an Idris or some shit?

Nothing out of the ordinary IMO. I've had crazies PM me years after I've left a fandom. An acquaintance of mine from MMO-C has stated lukewarm opinions on FFXIV, and then he became the fixation of FFXIV cultists, one of whom apparently created an alt FFXIV account mimicking his name and pays a monthly sub (at least $13) to stalk and impersonate and mock him on the FFXIV forums. Heard similar stories on other forums too.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I personally wasn't interested in this MMO crap, but a single player game like the WC/Privateer, which was the focus of the original fundraiser with private servers and stuff as a bonus.
Even if you believe that MMO development is supposed to be long and hard, many tend to forget that they didn't even deliver a single player story game, its status just as foggy.

Angthoron

Arcane
So I've not followed this thing for a few years.

What's new? How many star systems got added? Are the bugs fixed? Is there a funny TL;DR anywhere?

What's new?

Nothing substantial.

They added prison, so if you have crime stat and you die, you respawn in a prison on Hurston's moon Arial. You can reduce your prison sentence by working in the mines, but nobody does and it's boring mining rocks by yourself. There is a secret escape route out of the prison where you have to do a jumping puzzle and then you reach the surface and try to hijack a car and escape before you cook to death, but you still won't be able to actually get off the planet without outside help since there are no cities on Arial to spawn a spaceship at. Your prison sentence ticks down in real time regardless of whether you are playing or not, so you just log off and wait a day to play again and then get released.

Medical gameplay was added. Now particular body parts like your arms or legs can be injured. A player with a heal gun can heal people but he has to balance 4 different drugs and try not to kill his patient by overdosing them. If your HP reaches 0, there is a chance you go into a downed state rather than instantly dying, where you have up to 20 minutes to be revived by another player before you die. You can send out a call for help if you get downed.

If your ship's HP reaches 0, there is a chance it won't explode. Instead it will just be rendered nonoperative but the wreck with its contents and passengers will remain intact and can be boarded and the goods inside taken.

Inventory loss upon death was added. Because grinding credits and and the process of warping around the star system buying specific equipment from each shop is so incredibly tedious and it is so easy to die in the game through no fault of your own, people don't bother outfitting themselves with the best stuff anymore. They just run around in default gear or with really cheap store items.

They revamped the gas giant of Crusader. It is now longer a sphere with a texture with nothing on it. You can now fly down into the atmosphere, and there is the floating shipyard city of Orison. Sadly Orison ingame looks nowhere near as cool as in the concept art.

They added Reclaimer wrecks to planets. You can get a mission that takes you to a random one and tells you to clear it out of bandits.

They added one form of salvage with hull scraping.

Angthoron

Arcane
They added prison, so if you have crime stat and you die, you respawn in a prison on Hurston's moon Arial. You can reduce your prison sentence by working in the mines, but nobody does and it's boring mining rocks by yourself. There is a secret escape route out of the prison where you have to do a jumping puzzle and then you reach the surface and try to hijack a car and escape before you cook to death, but you still won't be able to actually get off the planet without outside help since there are no cities on Arial to spawn a spaceship at. Your prison sentence ticks down in real time regardless of whether you are playing or not, so you just log off and wait a day to play again and then get released.
That is a terrible addition. I'm sure in someone's brain that got stuck in Ultima Online this sounds amazing, but it's just such a not-at-all-fun thing to have in an MMO that I can't even. Busywork and more busywork.

Medical gameplay was added. Now particular body parts like your arms or legs can be injured. A player with a heal gun can heal people but he has to balance 4 different drugs and try not to kill his patient by overdosing them. If your HP reaches 0, there is a chance you go into a downed state rather than instantly dying, where you have up to 20 minutes to be revived by another player before you die. You can send out a call for help if you get downed.
Eeey, and even more busywork. I guess it's nice to have tools to LARP a doctor, but isn't it more fun to play doctor IRL anyway?

If your ship's HP reaches 0, there is a chance it won't explode. Instead it will just be rendered nonoperative but the wreck with its contents and passengers will remain intact and can be boarded and the goods inside taken.
Okay, this is actually a good addition. More support tools for piracy gameplay in a space game? Woo.

Inventory loss upon death was added. Because grinding credits and and the process of warping around the star system buying specific equipment from each shop is so incredibly tedious and it is so easy to die in the game through no fault of your own, people don't bother outfitting themselves with the best stuff anymore. They just run around in default gear or with really cheap store items.
This is an absolutely atrocious idea and probably completely at odds with the previous thing.

Btw, have they finally added capships?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Okay, this is actually a good addition. More support tools for piracy gameplay in a space game? Woo.
Kinda, but much like the other things, I think this is also shit unless there's some sort of timer on the wreck, because otherwise, griefers may just get your ship to wreck and then leave you there. :lol:

Btw, have they finally added capships?

Three are ingame but only as NPC ships, so if you own them you still can't fly them. The Bengal Carrier and Javelin only show up during Invictus week, and the Idris spawns as the target of a bounty mission. Javelins have a little bit of the interior built out for them that you can walk around when they dock at space stations during Invictus. The Idris has the cockpit built out and it was possible to glitch through the hull and sit in the seat and pilot the ship, but that was patched out. When the Bengal first showed up entire servers organized and managed to kill it. RSI didn't like that so they made the Bengal's hull invincible.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Checked some earlier presentations from 2015-16, and it looked like it would become something great back then. Oh well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom