Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist

Angthoron

Arcane
As an earlier (somewhat) apologist, having purchased a pack back in 2014ish as a wide-eyed hopeful pitiful bastard, I'm starting to come around to the idea that some of the decisions made for this game are bullshit. Not ready to call it a scam just yet, but let's just consider one facet of the game that I would be participating in if the developers actually gave a damn: Trading.

From what I'm seeing, this Cargo Refactor thing means I have to place boxes one by one on and off my ship with a tractor beam each time I do a pickup or delivery? WTF? I have a full time job already. I'm not going to spend my precious little gaming time working another job for "muh immersion". Some gameplay aspects do fine with abstraction, such as the way cargo has been done. Go to console, do the transaction, and just accept that the time it took you to go to or from your ship, space mexicans have handled the loading/unloading.

I like some immersion, but fucking hell...
This was a planned feature for years now. I mean, they never got it to work properly so far, but it was planned for like I dunno, 5-6 years at the very least, and yep, do it all manually was the idea.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
How much FPS shooter gameplay is there? Seeing them put that into this game was probably the biggest turn off for me and red flag. It just stinks of having no idea what hook or gameplay this game is supposed to have, no direction, no identity, so lets shove in some shitty generic Call o Dudy on a space station gameplay. The world already has far too many boring fucking FPSs! I think shoving that into a space game is a terrible sign.

It bothers me especially because I would love to make a game like this and any extras would be things that relate to mechanics already in the game. So you can fly space ships around a planet, it makes sense to me that any extra mini games should be something like space races. Just like it makes sense having car races in GTA. They are pretty shit but you are already racing the streets in a car, the development time to create some courses and a clock is minimal and worth it. But stuff like darts, mini golf, and tennis is just them laughing at their retarded audience desperate to consume whatever stupid crap they are fed. They don't try to develop something important like the Hood Wars jank gameplay, that could have let the player change parts of the world based on their actions. It could have been developed to have gangs from other areas who grow based on their size/income, so some poor gangs will come to your turf out of desperation. Bigger gangs will come with assault rifles and grenades. So the gameplay could have involved that as well just the boring storyfag fedex missions. But they never bothered to develop important gameplay like that, because they could get away with shitty darts and wii tennis that no functioning human wants to play!

To be fair on shitty GTA5, at least it shipped, and at least they were 5 games into the series before all their creativity and passion was gone and they devolved into throwing crappy filler mini games into it. Star Citizen is doing that out the gate.

Last edited:
How much FPS shooter gameplay is there?

As in actual FPS combat? Usually optional, as you can just not take missions that require you to clear out a bunker of NPC bandits. However, PvP can happen outside of the armistice zones of cities and space stations, so if you land at an outpost or a cave you could theoretically be ambushed and killed, or if you are flying a large sized ship pirate players could disable and board your ship and shoot you and fly off with your cargo. That is unlikely to happen given the current state of the game where the playerbase is stretched out across a star system with 5 planets, a dozen moons, and hundreds of and outposts and caves other POIs. You usually don't encounter other players outside of cities or spaceports, which have armistice zones so people can't shoot there, though the devs said that they intended to eventually remove armistice zones so you could have PvP anywhere but it'd be like EVE where it come with the consequence of NPC police action against you.

I think shoving that into a space game is a terrible sign.

The FPS combat is indeed boring, but being able to walk around floating shipyards in a gas giant and see workers welding together spaceships or enter gift shops that sell space whale plushies is a little immersive. But yes, they are focusing on miscellaneous crap like throwing dumbbells because they can't deliver on the big ticket items like bigger servers, capital ships, more star systems, hireable NPC crew members, the Reclaimer being able to eat wrecks and salvage them, etc.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
But yes, they are focusing on miscellaneous crap like throwing dumbbells because they can't deliver on the big ticket items like bigger servers, capital ships, more star systems, hireable NPC crew members, the Reclaimer being able to eat wrecks and salvage them, etc.
Interesting take. Probably completely accurate.

Myobi

Liturgist
"the big ticket items", pffft!

They just delivered Persistent Entity Streaming! Sure, a fuck ton of players can't connect to the game for 3 weeks now and counting, but those who were able to, got to have a lot of fun experiencing countless brand new issues it brought up.

It's just so like you haters to always focus on these shittty little details just to talk shit, get a clue about real game development, will you?!?

AN4RCHID

Arcane
How much FPS shooter gameplay is there? Seeing them put that into this game was probably the biggest turn off for me and red flag. It just stinks of having no idea what hook or gameplay this game is supposed to have, no direction, no identity, so lets shove in some shitty generic Call o Dudy on a space station gameplay.
The hook was always that it would be the ultimate Go Anywhere, Do Anything game, and the spacelegs/FPS stuff was a central part of that.

Can't argue with unfocused and lacking direction though. IMO the worst flaw of the whole project is that they'll put out an initial version of a feature like the interaction system, and then let it rot because the dev teams have been pulled onto other projects. By the time they get back to working on that feature, it's so outdated that they have to basically scrap it and start over. Whether this is the fault of incompetent directors, Chris' micromanaging, or the scope creep and/or live service model making efficient development nigh untenable, is anyone's guess.

Norfleet

but it'd be like EVE where it come with the consequence of NPC police action against you.
I'm not sure that's a good game to take as an example, given that the Eve Police were largely impotent until they kept buffing them to ludicrous levels, and even then it didn't work, and they ended up making it a bannable offense to actually outwit or otherwise overcome the Keystone Kops.

I mean, look, if you really don't want people to do shit that badly, just plain don't let them even start down that path. There is no way that anything but the most ridiculously overpowered NPCs can actually prevent a player from ultimately accomplishing whatever goal they're trying to pull off, and no way you can prevent players from figuring out a way to outwit those NPCs unless you just ban them for even trying...at which point you may as well just not bother giving them the option to even do anything in the first place.

Myobi

Liturgist
but it'd be like EVE where it come with the consequence of NPC police action against you.
I'm not sure that's a good game to take as an example, given that the Eve Police were largely impotent until they kept buffing them to ludicrous levels, and even then it didn't work, and they ended up making it a bannable offense to actually outwit or otherwise overcome the Keystone Kops.

I mean, look, if you really don't want people to do shit that badly, just plain don't let them even start down that path. There is no way that anything but the most ridiculously overpowered NPCs can actually prevent a player from ultimately accomplishing whatever goal they're trying to pull off, and no way you can prevent players from figuring out a way to outwit those NPCs unless you just ban them for even trying...at which point you may as well just not bother giving them the option to even do anything in the first place.

This sort of shit is already happening in SC, they introduced ship boarding into piracy, a player got inside another space ship, pointed a gun at him and asked him to surrender, the other player did not comply and got shot, respawned inside the ship medbay, sprinting towards the trespasser again attempting to punch him, surprise surprise, got shot again, and tried again, and again, and again... eventually bodies started pilling him and causing desync issues, till the pirate was actually knocked unconscious, killed and reported for griefing, receiving an email with a warning from CiG shortly after.

... and you can bet that if the game wasn't fucked right now, players would be building massive prisons with junk around stations, blocking elevators and whatnot.

Norfleet

I'm inclined to chalk that particular incident up to an interaction between a bunch of unfinished systems. It's clear that you can't have meaningful shipjacking if people can just respawn back on the ship.

However, I'm not holding out for the idea that the game will ever enter into a feature-playable state either.

Myobi

Liturgist
I'm inclined to chalk that particular incident up to an interaction between a bunch of unfinished systems.
A bunch of unfinished poorly planned systems.

It's always “you can do anything anywhere!”, and it will "just work", because there will be "systems in place" to make it work, it may sound great on paper, but it just doesn't really work.

Another fun example is a player that got kidnapped by a pirate, who kept him drugged for ages, preventing him to play the game.

Norfleet

Another fun example is a player that got kidnapped by a pirate, who kept him drugged for ages, preventing him to play the game.
That's the major issue of any system where it is possible to kidnap somebody, yes: The prospect of your character just remaining kidnapped indefinitely. Which is, obviously, not a particularly satisfactory gameplay experience. You have to be real careful about how you manage and design such a thing, to avoid creating a game-ending experience for the player.

Myobi

Liturgist
I've put around $10k in this and still nothing
... so what you are saying is that you only invested 10k and feel entitled to even more than the endless meme you got? Tsk!

Shut the hell up, go back to work and buy another Idris, papa Roberts needs that yatch tech pronto!

Myobi

Liturgist

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...r-citizen-alpha-3-18-upcoming-patches/5860011

Our initial goal was to avoid the need to wipe the database for the upcoming point patches. However, due to the current state of Alpha 3.18's database and the numerous hotfixes we've implemented since 3.18 went live (more than 50!), we have concluded that a couple of full wipes (aUEC, items, and reputation) will be necessary to further improve and stabilize the service.

:negative:
Unfortunately we have no records of your in game purchases which we consider to be investing in the development of your game. Please re-purchase any ships you wish to have at each patch point.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom