Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Competition Score up to $500 by designing RPG Codex' Corporate Branding (Logo & Business Cards) Competition

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by DarkUnderlord, Aug 17, 2015.

1. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    Tags: rpgcodex

As we continue to send our representatives to various game conferences, we find more and more that people expect such a prestigious gaming magazine as the Codex to have formal things, like business cards. Also they want letters from us on "our letterhead" to prove our credentials before they'll let even us in the door.

lol

To date, we have made do with a motley collection of hastily-assembled bits and pieces that, coupled with a few referrals from a game developer or three, have usually gotten us in.

However, life on the Codex is about to change. Previously we have lol'd at such requests but it is actually something we need as we continue to send our representatives to such official functions and events. Also it would look cool.

To that end, we are holding a competition. The goal is simple, design the RPG Codex "Corporate" Logo and Branding (I say "corporate" because that's the function we'll be using these in, the website will pretty much remain the same). Officially, we need the following:
    1. Business Cards
    2. Letterhead
    3. Logo and Banner image for Twitter
    4. Logo and Banner image for Facebook
    You can have a shot at designing one element or the whole lot.

Business Card and Letterhead Details

The following details need to be on the card:

RPG Codex > doesn't scale to your level
    rpgcodex.net
    Some kind of "fine print" line like "RPG Codex is owned and operated by Greg Martin Enterprises Pty. Ltd." (or words to that effect).
    ABN 59 115 337 534 (ABN = Australian Business Number)
    Email: something@rpgcodex.net
    Twitter: @rpgcodex
    Facebook: /rpgcodex

We may go for personalised cards for some staff which also means:
    Name and job title: Infinitron, Beg Auditor
    Possible room for phone number

Cards should be CMYK with a 3-5 mm bleed (for printing)
    Letterhead should be sized for international standard A4 paper.​

Competition will remain open until such time as we get something awesome. Multiple entries are desired. And in the event someone comes up with something cool, but it's someone else who takes that idea and really nails it, we will split and / or award additional prizes as required to maintain fairness.

All entries submitted are on the basis they are original works and full rights to use the winning images as we see fit are granted to the RPG Codex. /legalese

We're putting aside $500 USD for prizes, split roughly as $125 in each category. But as we said, how that ends up being paid out will depend. If one person manages to cook up something awesome for the lot, they will be richly rewarded with the whole stash.

So let's see what you can come up with so that the RPG Codex can continue to maintain it's position as a prestigious gaming magazine.

• Brofist Brofist x 25
    ^ Top  
  2. taxalot I'm a spicy fellow. Patron

taxalot
    Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    So that's it ?
    That's what being done with my supporting money ?

Spending it on frivolities rewarding a stupid logo and a business card ?

Don't lose your soul, Codex, you already lost my money for the next year :rpgcodex:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  3. GlutenBurger Cipher

GlutenBurger
    As a factory floor lackey, I had no idea people were still using business cards. I figured they'd be activating some sort of iPhone interlock nowadays. I have never been more disappointed with my corporate overlords.

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  4. Gondolin Arcane

Gondolin
    We need frivolities in order to keep pestering developers. While going mainstream is depressing and yuck, think of the look on a convention official's face when he is handed a card reading: "Doesn't scale to your level".

• Brofist Brofist x 19
    ^ Top  
  5. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    Also if we don't spend it, I have to pay it to the Government as tax (yes, the Codex is a taxable entity).

• Brofist Brofist x 22
    ^ Top  
  6. GlutenBurger Cipher

GlutenBurger
    Don't most hobbyist websites make an overall loss, though? No tax to pay if there's no profit to be had.

^ Top  
  7. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    Ignoring KickStarters (money in = money out) and advertising revenue (which under agreement, goes straight to Taluntain to cover server and hosting costs - we're fortunate that we're mostly covering the bills ignoring the odd upgrade here or there), the Codex makes about $3k a year "profit". If we don't spend it sending people to extravagant overseas game conferences, or offer it as rewards, I do have to pay tax (28%) on that amount.

Officially if it was a hobby I wouldn't have to pay anything but I gave up trying to keep the Codex as a "hobby" when we started funnelling tens of thousands of dollars through the PayPal account on a regular basis (to which PayPal wanted a rather large amount of paperwork "on company letterhead"). It became easier to declare the Codex as "officially" run by Greg Martin Enterprises at that point.

So business cards and letterhead do come in handy for things like that. And it's coming up more and more as we do send people to extravagant overseas conferences.

• Brofist Brofist x 26
    ^ Top  
  8. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Time to add RPGCodex to my resume then.

How does "Executive Creative Director" sound?

• Brofist Brofist x 19
    ^ Top  
  9. Black Arcane

Black
    What's wrong with this one?

• Brofist Brofist x 56
    ^ Top  
  10. Kz3r0 Arcane Sad Loser

Kz3r0
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  11. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    Money?
    Seriously, you should pay in brofists.
    Competition would be fierce and lethal anyway. Probably more so.

Dis gonna be gud, anyway.

^ Top  
  12. Kalin Unwanted Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Unwanted
    Trolls and multi-headed dicks hitting ass and leg are all fine and dandy in casual settings, but for truly serious business situations there is no compromise: you need our good chap Humanophage to properly convey the prestigious nature of the community. Nothing will ever beat his monocled, tophat-wearing and sometimes Cthulhu-morphed eagle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 26
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    DU didn't mention this explicitly, but note that Twitter and Facebook logos have to be square shaped, not rectangular banners or anything else. Like the current one:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  14. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It doesn't animate when printed. Unless you have some holographic business card. Also mandatory:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  15. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    :mhd:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    great entries so far

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. a Goat Arcane

a Goat
    If only we could animate paper...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 40
    ^ Top  
  19. Ludo Lense Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I have a genuine question. Under which nation's law does the RPG Codex fall under? Is it as simple as Dark Underlord is the owner thus it falls under Australian Law?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. LeStryfe79 President Spartacus Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Damn, it's hard for me to imagine what the hell Codex even means. Maybe it's a d20 where every side is a 20 or a 1.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 49
    ^ Top  
  22. LeStryfe79 President Spartacus Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I've got it...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    Sellouts.

This is ok for an official logo:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  24. Tzaero DEPARTED Patron

Tzaero
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Eh, Ill give it when I have some time.

^ Top  
  25. himmy Arcane

himmy
    Is "The Mongol Steppe" a nation?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.