Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Score up to $500 by designing RPG Codex' Corporate Branding (Logo & Business Cards) Competition

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: RPG Codex

As we continue to send our representatives to various game conferences, we find more and more that people expect such a prestigious gaming magazine as the Codex to have formal things, like business cards. Also they want letters from us on "our letterhead" to prove our credentials before they'll let even us in the door.

lol

To date, we have made do with a motley collection of hastily-assembled bits and pieces that, coupled with a few referrals from a game developer or three, have usually gotten us in.

However, life on the Codex is about to change. Previously we have lol'd at such requests but it is actually something we need as we continue to send our representatives to such official functions and events. Also it would look cool.

To that end, we are holding a competition. The goal is simple, design the RPG Codex "Corporate" Logo and Branding (I say "corporate" because that's the function we'll be using these in, the website will pretty much remain the same). Officially, we need the following:
  1. Business Cards
  2. Letterhead
  3. Logo and Banner image for Twitter
  4. Logo and Banner image for Facebook
You can have a shot at designing one element or the whole lot.

Business Card and Letterhead Details

The following details need to be on the card:

RPG Codex > doesn't scale to your level
rpgcodex.net
Some kind of "fine print" line like "RPG Codex is owned and operated by Greg Martin Enterprises Pty. Ltd." (or words to that effect).
ABN 59 115 337 534 (ABN = Australian Business Number)
Email: something@rpgcodex.net
Twitter: @rpgcodex
Facebook: /rpgcodex

We may go for personalised cards for some staff which also means:
Name and job title: Infinitron, Beg Auditor
Possible room for phone number

Cards should be CMYK with a 3-5 mm bleed (for printing)
Letterhead should be sized for international standard A4 paper.​

Competition will remain open until such time as we get something awesome. Multiple entries are desired. And in the event someone comes up with something cool, but it's someone else who takes that idea and really nails it, we will split and / or award additional prizes as required to maintain fairness.

All entries submitted are on the basis they are original works and full rights to use the winning images as we see fit are granted to the RPG Codex. /legalese

We're putting aside $500 USD for prizes, split roughly as $125 in each category. But as we said, how that ends up being paid out will depend. If one person manages to cook up something awesome for the lot, they will be richly rewarded with the whole stash.

So let's see what you can come up with so that the RPG Codex can continue to maintain it's position as a prestigious gaming magazine.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So that's it ?
That's what being done with my supporting money ?

Spending it on frivolities rewarding a stupid logo and a business card ?

Don't lose your soul, Codex, you already lost my money for the next year :rpgcodex:

GlutenBurger

Cipher
As a factory floor lackey, I had no idea people were still using business cards. I figured they'd be activating some sort of iPhone interlock nowadays. I have never been more disappointed with my corporate overlords.

Gondolin

Arcane
So that's it ?
That's what being done with my supporting money ?

Spending it on frivolities rewarding a stupid logo and a business card ?

We need frivolities in order to keep pestering developers. While going mainstream is depressing and yuck, think of the look on a convention official's face when he is handed a card reading: "Doesn't scale to your level".

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Also if we don't spend it, I have to pay it to the Government as tax (yes, the Codex is a taxable entity).

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Don't most hobbyist websites make an overall loss, though? No tax to pay if there's no profit to be had.
Ignoring KickStarters (money in = money out) and advertising revenue (which under agreement, goes straight to Taluntain to cover server and hosting costs - we're fortunate that we're mostly covering the bills ignoring the odd upgrade here or there), the Codex makes about $3k a year "profit". If we don't spend it sending people to extravagant overseas game conferences, or offer it as rewards, I do have to pay tax (28%) on that amount.

Officially if it was a hobby I wouldn't have to pay anything but I gave up trying to keep the Codex as a "hobby" when we started funnelling tens of thousands of dollars through the PayPal account on a regular basis (to which PayPal wanted a rather large amount of paperwork "on company letterhead"). It became easier to declare the Codex as "officially" run by Greg Martin Enterprises at that point.

So business cards and letterhead do come in handy for things like that. And it's coming up more and more as we do send people to extravagant overseas conferences.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Don't most hobbyist websites make an overall loss, though? No tax to pay if there's no profit to be had.
maxresdefault.jpg

mastroego

Arcane
Money?
Seriously, you should pay in brofists.
Competition would be fierce and lethal anyway. Probably more so.

Dis gonna be gud, anyway.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Trolls and multi-headed dicks hitting ass and leg are all fine and dandy in casual settings, but for truly serious business situations there is no compromise: you need our good chap Humanophage to properly convey the prestigious nature of the community. Nothing will ever beat his monocled, tophat-wearing and sometimes Cthulhu-morphed eagle:

3zzlydF.gif

XLQSOUO.jpg

mCZXZJD.jpg

:obviously:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DU didn't mention this explicitly, but note that Twitter and Facebook logos have to be square shaped, not rectangular banners or anything else. Like the current one:

OyoNTFz8.png

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I have a genuine question. Under which nation's law does the RPG Codex fall under? Is it as simple as Dark Underlord is the owner thus it falls under Australian Law?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Damn, it's hard for me to imagine what the hell Codex even means. Maybe it's a d20 where every side is a 20 or a 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom