Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Scorn - another Giger influenced horror game released after long developement

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571331118/scorn-episode-one
Kickstarter 2: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1777595379/scorn-part-1-of-2-dasein

...and Zbigniew Beksiński except there is no dicks or sexual theme. Sex for indies is bigger sci-fi than some meatsbaggery.
There is another horror coming called Scorn, pretty Gigeresque.

OhK4SE7.jpg

You know what?
Maybe we should create thread for new upcoming horror games? That KS and else encourage them.

Scorn is an atmospheric first person horror adventure game set in a nightmarish universe of odd forms and somber tapestry. It is designed around an idea of "being thrown into the world". - world so unsettling and mysterious you won't be able to resist embarking on the journey that lies ahead. Main character is not already fleshed out hero with predetermined personality and history. You are the main character.

There is no conventional plot as we hope that every player would give their own interpretation of the events, themes and their role in this universe through exploration and interaction with the game world. The story and themes we are trying to convey get there desired effect through experience rather than exposition. Storytelling wise it is most similar to games like Metroid Prime, Dark Souls, Journey, etc.

Different features and gameplay mechanics combined together create a unique experience.

- Cohesive "lived in" world - Scorn takes place in open-ended world with different interconnected regions you can explore in a non - linear fashion. Each region is a maze-like structure with various set of rooms and paths to discover. Environment is a character in itself. Every location contains its own theme, puzzles and characters that are integral part of the setting. Open ended and interconnected level design and the sense of isolation that it brings is influenced by games like Metroid Prime, Dark Souls, Ico, etc.

- Full body awareness - Player will experience enhanced game world immersion, and will be familiar to character’s body and movement. Interaction with the world is realistic - objects are picked up with your hands (instead of just floating in mid-air), machines and instruments are operated by grabbing the controls etc.

- No HUD - There is no HUD to assist the player. Everything is implied and indicated through environmental design.

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Scorn is an atmospheric first person horror adventure game set in a nightmarish universe of odd forms and somber tapestry. It is designed around an idea of "being thrown into the world". - world so unsettling and mysterious you won't be able to resist embarking on the journey that lies ahead. Main character is not already fleshed out hero with predetermined personality and history. You are the main character.

There is no conventional plot as we hope that every player would give their own interpretation of the events, themes and their role in this universe through exploration and interaction with the game world. The story and themes we are trying to convey get there desired effect through experience rather than exposition. Storytelling wise it is most similar to games like Metroid Prime, Dark Souls, Journey, etc.

Different features and gameplay mechanics combined together create a unique experience.

- Cohesive "lived in" world - Scorn takes place in open-ended world with different interconnected regions you can explore in a non - linear fashion. Each region is a maze-like structure with various set of rooms and paths to discover. Environment is a character in itself. Every location contains its own theme, puzzles and characters that are integral part of the setting. Open ended and interconnected level design and the sense of isolation that it brings is influenced by games like Metroid Prime, Dark Souls, Ico, etc.
This sounds awesome. "Living" atmospheric world instead of cinematic shit is the way to go with horror games. The devs are from Srbija :P. OP forgot the link to ks: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/571331118/scorn-episode-one

Inventory and ammo management - is defined and limited. It plays a big role in keeping the player in even greater state of awareness throughout the whole game. Player will have to think about when to fight and when to take cover and how their actions affect the world around them.

We want to create a broad gameplay experience that is more than simple blend of all the game mechanics. Players will need to explore and adapt to the world. Same principles apply to the inhabitants of the world. They will not be just a cannon fodder for the player but breathing living entities that you can interact with in various ways. Throughout the game players will constantly be required to re-think and adapt their actions.
I like this approach.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Strange, I though I linked project site. And video didn't linked at all. Yeah, I cannot into llinking KS videos...

Borelli

Arcane
Looks disgusting.

I love it.

Trailer's style also somewhat reminds me of old games who had fmv trailers.

Starwars

Arcane
Trailer felt like I was watching the same art assets/models over and over for a few minutes, not particularly exciting.

I'm a horror fan but eeeh. This seems too vague so far for me to drop money into.

Hopefully it'll turn out to be something cool though, if they get the money (which I doubt).

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The trailer was p.good. I really dig the art style, the environments and the minimalistic approach to everything.

I'm pretty sick of all the : "experiment-gone-bad , monsters-in-facility , listen to all the audio diaries that are scattered around conveniently and wait for the jump-scare room-ambush, horror sci-fi."

Too bad it's episodic and it has too high a goal for a team of unknowns.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Concept art always looks good.

Translating it into the game experience has always been a problem though. In game art never quite captures the essence of concept art.

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
The only thing that's off putting so far is the "episode one" stuff. I don't think they will get the $$$ (it's kind of unlikely, unless they're promoted by some of the fag enabling vidya game portals). Maybe this will be the first ks I will contribute to. The details the devs provide are vague, but fuck I love the concept.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I immediately was going to click on BACKED then I saw... €200,000 goal

What in the fuck do they need THAT much money for? That is some incredibly classy hookers and booze I guess....

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
KS? Not interested.

Just wait for SOMA. Those dudes can take their time making quality stuff without resorting to begging.
Frictional actually almost went down under while developing Amnesia. They got most of their necessary funding near the end of development from temporarily discounting the pre-order price from $20 to $5. Not exactly Kickstarter begging, but I wouldn't be contrasting a needy horror developer with Frictional.

Now Frictional got extremely popular, and rich enough that they were able to publish a spinoff by another developer, but in the past they were just getting by, really.

The €200,000 goal seems crazy, though. What they're proposing to fund is just one episode of a proposed series, and presumably because of the rewards, the game is going to cost around €15 or €20. That suggests not a whole lot of content. I'd like to be proven wrong, but I probably won't back this, despite how fucking disturbed it looks.

Destroid

Arcane
I immediately was going to click on BACKED then I saw... €200,000 goal

What in the fuck do they need THAT much money for? That is some incredibly classy hookers and booze I guess....

Why would that put you off? It's quite clear to me that most kickstarter projects lowball their funding needs and hope to overshoot or find alternate funding with the hype generated by a successful kickstarter run.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They need to fully explain to me why they need THAT much money to make this game. I'll watch the "pitch" video and see....

EDIT: OK yes, the artwork on this is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING STUNNING. Jebus H Christmas. Also who in the fuck is Ebb Software? Have they actually produced a game before?

They are not doing a good job at trying to sell this to me. I need to hear more. Yes the art is FUCKING AMAZING. Why do you need €200,000?

tormund

Arcane
That teaser was surprisingly well made.

Here's hoping that they'll show some gameplay soon, and that it will look more promising that that of other competing Slav-developed, Giger and Beksinski inspired FPS horror game.

tormund

Arcane
It's certainly impressive for a game made by small eastern european team that failed to get money on KS. That teaser is easily AAA level.

But they still showed nothing of actual gameplay despite of how game is supposedly years in development, sooo... Better to keep expectation at minimum.

BTW, Latelistener are you from the dev team?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom