Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Did the EE add Dragon Disciple to Baldur's Gate 2 or was it always there and I just forgot?

Yep; EE added it(one of the few alteration that beamdog did and i liked)

wUGTAL2.png

6q3ubDi.jpg

Dropping people off this ladder never got old.

Wunderbar

Arcane
KT3mmHu.jpg

Good old Resident Evil 4, with HD mod

8geVrUr.jpg

Current version of HD mod doesn't have characters and weapons retextures, only environment. That's why shotgun looks like poopoo.

rK1TQEi.jpg

Whatcha you buying, stranger?

4ysoNmu.jpg

e8qGI4P.jpg

:shittydog:

aTBmAHM.jpg

:mob:

I3btAWS.jpg

look how Ashley fist pumps each time i shoot ganados down

yiCowcd.jpg

i really like the way those sixth-gen console games look. No bullshit filters or post-processing effects, baked lighting. Clean and crisp.

mqgZk6q.jpg

lxrpNR8.jpg

S0MZJl3.jpg

EwOW1vz.jpg

Xptzixc.jpg

uFnKwHX.jpg

kypLbda.jpg

Mike! Noooo!

3dN3BOL.jpg

my final inventory

sser

Arcane
Developer
Always enjoy looking at the solo BG2 screenshots (mostly cause I think I'm way too dumb to even understand how to do it myself).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Looks pretty sweet, and 15 years later it's one hell of a shooter.
Too bad Capcom feels the need to make an unnecessary remake that will axe the schlocky camp and probably the Mercenaries mode as well...

At least REmake is safe for the moment.

i really like the way those sixth-gen console games look. No bullshit filters or post-processing effects, baked lighting. Clean and crisp.

Agreed.
Even in terms of polygon count, 10.000 for a single character was enough to have them look believable but not fall in that uncanny valley effect that characters in the 7th gen usually had
Now devs need to have half a million polys in a female character's ass alone to have it look good.

Although as for baked lighting, I would say it depends on what context your using it.
In games with highly interactable enviroments baked lighting won't be an effective solution.

Last edited:

A horse of course

Parasite Eve 2 (emulated via ePSXE, mild spoilers)

Originally a spinoff title conceptualized by Resident Evil writer Kenichi Iwao that was later retooled into a full sequel, Parasite Eve 2 shrugs off some of the RPG baggage of its predecessor in favour of a slightly more traditional survival horror experience. Set three years after the original, Aya Brea has been recruited to an elite federal task force investigating “neo-Mitochondrial” activity across America. Called in to counter an outbreak in the heart of Los Angeles, Aya discovers a conspiracy that leads to the remote Nevada ghost town of Dryfield and the high-tech bunker lying beneath…

Survival horror players will quickly adapt to the puzzles, fixed camera angles, tank controls, and real-time combat of PE2, but a lock-on reticule and snap-target-switching have also been added for ease of use. Parasite Eve veterans, meanwhile, will recognize the returning magic system, though items and equipment usage have been overhauled. The “tune up” that allowed players to swap out accessory bonuses and abilities is completely gone. Instead, players can choose to attach items to one of the limited slots on their armour, either for quick access to healing and buffs in battle or to grant special passive bonuses. For example, lipstick can be “consumed” for a permanent +1 to mana, but if kept attached to armour will provide protection against Silence debuffs. The only other notable equipment customization is the ability to swap out different ammo types (though these are usually just straight upgrades from the default) and modify the assault rifle with secondary weapons like a taser or flamethrower.

Perhaps the biggest departure from both the original game and classic survival horror is the implementation of “Bounty Points”. Combat encounters will reward players with experience and “BP” (or subtract it if they flee) that can then be redeemed in stores for ammo and supplies or even new weapons and armour. Opening the map will helpfully highlight all the areas you've visited still populated by monsters, and even incremental progress in the main plot will frequently respawn enemies in many of these rooms, so there is a strong incentive to revisit old areas and farm enemies for more items, XP, and BP.

Despite the superficial shift to traditional survival horror, I wouldn’t class Parasite Eve 2 as a model of the genre, at least where purists are concerned. For one, combat magic is extremely easy to abuse. There are a surprising variety of different enemy types in the game, most of whom are much more vulnerable to specific spells than others, but once you work out an effective tactic or elemental weakness you’ll be able to take most of them down with minimal mana usage – which, like health, can be recovered slightly between battles depending on the enemy and attachment combination. Even better, every single time the player unlocks or upgrades a spell, their total mana will be increased and immediately replenished in full. By spacing these out, you can effectively use them as a limited supply of free mana refills.

Meanwhile, ammo isn’t as easy to farm via combat encounters as in the original, and there is a limit to how much you can carry in your inventory for each weapon, but most item boxes and save points are in close proximity to containers filled with infinite handgun ammunition (and later, more powerful weapons). Since the BP and XP system encourage you to exterminate enemies rather than flee, for most of the game Aya will have a clear path back to the nearest ammo cache. Whilst this could be defended as a Hail Mary to resource-starved players, the handgun is sufficiently powerful for much of the early game’s regular fights, and can later be replaced by submachine guns - which remain useful up until the end with the right ammo. In fact, even against certain bosses I found submachine guns superior to bulkier weapons due to the faster animation and movement speed. Even if this were not the case, the cost of purchasing ammo for better weapons is not all that debilitating. By the time I’d reached the final quarter of the game, I was actively throwing out or frittering away some of the best ammo types and recovery items, and I had enough BP to purchase all of the best weapons in the last store, making the last battle almost a joke.

In much the same way, whilst using set enemies and fixed camera angles is considerably more effective at inducing dread than the first game’s system, this is another 1-step-forward-2-steps-back situation. When an enemy “aggros” - either independently or upon being targeted by the player - a combat state is triggered that changes the music, locks access to the inventory (except attachment slots) and modifies Aya’s pose. In the vast majority of cases you can trigger this as soon as you enter a room by pressing the lock-on button, and once initiated it won’t end until all the enemies in that room are dead. And if in doubt as to whether a room is still safe, the omniscient map screen will show you which areas are cleared out. This undermines the whole point of set enemies and fixed camera angles since you always know whether you’re in danger or not.

The overall effect of all these issues is that Parasite Eve 2 is more a trial of perseverance than it is good planning or risk analysis. Some sections are undoubtedly more challenging than others, and even a cautious player could lose a good 30 minutes of progress in one or two sequences where the player is locked out of access to save points, but in general it’s a good deal easier than the original game and only slightly scarier. Putting aside whether the game constitutes a good survival horror, there are a few issues that could put people off. Tank controls or not, the lock-on system can sometimes be a hinderance due to it’s sluggish response to fast-moving enemies, and how it automatically orients the player in a specific direction when they’re trying to reposition themselves. Another common complaint is that the game is quite heavily tooled towards multiple replays - such as the vastly more difficult Nightmare Mode - as accessing some of the better items or changing the ending can hinge on some extremely obscure metagame knowledge, from laborious backtracking to returning to a room within a very specific timeframe during the story. I ran through the game with a completionist mindset and was still surprised when I later found out I’d only achieved the best ending due to some random actions taken on a whim.

Being released towards the end of the PS1’s generation, the game boasts improved character models and dynamic lighting effects, as well as some meticulously detailed pre-rendered backgrounds. Audio-wise, a new composer is featured alongside a very limited and inconsistent use of voice-acted dialogue. As sick as I am of New York’s overexposure in media, neither the dull orange ruins of Dryfield nor the generic sci-fi environments of later areas are as memorable or grounded as the locations (semi-fantastical as they were) of the first game. Also, whilst there was a strong sense of player motivation as the first game’s six days ticked down to a genetic holocaust, for most of Parasite Eve 2 Aya’s mission feels routine and unhurried – initially she only really stays in the town out of professional obligation, and even when the stakes are raised her department just remarks that other agents are busy elsewhere. It’s not until near the very end of the game that events seem of any consequence.

So, it’s not a fantastic example of classic survival horror gameplay or atmosphere and won’t appeal to those who enjoy tight resource management. Even so, I had fun playing the game as a clunky, arcade-style action-RPG/adventure. Despite the control issues, I much preferred combat here over Parasite Eve 1. You don’t constantly get blocked by invisible walls and stunlocked by enemies’ ridiculous hit boxes and damage auras – more battles were won via player skill than simply out-levelling opponents. If you’re ok with tank controls and you just want a slightly more laid-back experience than typical survival horror, I’d recommend Parasite Eve 2. But if you want something a bit closer to a classic Square RPG with stronger writing, environments and music, go for the first game.
HTK7qkB.jpg
vjteLK5.jpg
vPrdfSH.jpg
WkzpMBH.jpg
nAykRyx.jpg
ORPhwwE.jpg
3ThQiVm.jpg
SOIBo2f.jpg
N5eulqA.jpg
daYd6L8.jpg
osd1pWC.jpg
lNOOpya.jpg
cznNSR2.jpg
gqfhYXn.jpg
4n2jrkU.jpg
nQUOH73.jpg
8g4APlQ.jpg
d28Yh4s.jpg
hnEY1ad.jpg
MFFR1mO.jpg
73ZCRTW.jpg
v0H4z0z.jpg
yAFGeXQ.jpg
Dt3VG01.jpg
Ibbn5GY.jpg
WoHr2rx.jpg
9Ewg99X.jpg
Hy9PgNn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

schru

Arcane
For those who didn't like how Monkey Island 2 looks with the shaders, I'm curious, what's wrong with it?
Indeed. The dark spaces between the pixels in that shader may be too big, but it roughly corresponds to older monitors that didn't double the number of vertical pixels (though I'm not sure about the one in the photo):

HzdynBN.jpg

A horse of course

I'm not going to sperg out by mass dumping links, but the problem with all these shaders is that they're the equivalent of games adding motion blur or DoF effects to represent phenomena a normal person would automatically filter out when viewing a scene. It's not really worth investing in a CRT due to my personal circumstances (I'd just have to throw it away every time I move job), but I do have the chance to boot up some old crap at my workplace now and again, so I can confirm it's not just nostalgia. A photo of a CRT screen - let alone using shaders on a flatscreen - is not representative of how a CRT monitor actually looks in the real world. That's not even getting into different breeds of "scanlines" you get depending on the hardware - arcade monitors looked very different to computer monitors (the only ones I really have free access to in China), which differed from TV monitors hooked up to a games consoles.

If you enjoy it, fine. But that's not what gaming on a real CRT screen looks like to me.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
For those who didn't like how Monkey Island 2 looks with the shaders, I'm curious, what's wrong with it?
Indeed. The dark spaces between the pixels in that shader may be too big, but it roughly corresponds to older monitors that didn't double the number of vertical pixels (though I'm not sure about the one in the photo):

HzdynBN.jpg

I'm not going to sperg out by mass dumping links, but the problem with all these shaders is that they're the equivalent of games adding motion blur or DoF effects to represent phenomena a normal person would automatically filter out when viewing a scene. It's not really worth investing in a CRT due to my personal circumstances (I'd just have to throw it away every time I move job), but I do have the chance to boot up some old crap at my workplace now and again, so I can confirm it's not just nostalgia. A photo of a CRT screen - let alone using shaders on a flatscreen - is not representative of how a CRT monitor actually looks in the real world. That's not even getting into different breeds of "scanlines" you get depending on the hardware - arcade monitors looked very different to computer monitors (the only ones I really have free access to in China), which differed from TV monitors hooked up to a games consoles.

If you enjoy it, fine. But that's not what gaming on a real CRT screen looks like to me.

Yeah, scanlines are probably too noticeable in the current settings, need to fine tune them more if I start to play games more seriously. I was mostly just curious how those shaders look, one of the things I don't like how old games looks on modern displays is how blocky they become, as old CRTs had natural "soft anti-aliasing". Fortunately the shader is very configurable from Retroarch, so should be easy fix.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom