Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

tBii3q.png

tBijNA.png

tBiIWM.png

tBiZ9Q.png

tBigva.png

tBirGe.png

Colin McRae Rally 2005

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sleepy Dawgs looks great for its time. Some old shots. It's a shame Square Enix botched the series. They had something good on their hands, until they tried to make its sequel an online only game.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Textures and lighting are still perfectly serviceable, the only noticeable issues are with some shadows and pop-ins.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Having a lot of fun with Magic & Mayhem (Mana - Der Weg der Schwarzen Macht). The clay/stop motion art style is still good looking. And it has a ton of nice little details, like Bloodcaps dipping their caps into the blood of slain enemies, trolls feasting on the corpses, flying units that are petrified shatter when they crash down and probably more stuff that I have not yet discovered, having finished only the first realm Avalon for now.

image2993.png

image3015.png

b1TTXmp

image3048.png

image3070.png

image3092.png

image3103.png

image3125.png

image3136.png

image3158.png

image3180.png

image3191.png

image3202.png

image3213.png

image3224.png

image3246.png

image3257.png

image3279.png

image3290.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I love that era of games graphics. So cozy even in a racing game. Nice pics.

There's something, I don't know what to call it... sincere? Something sincere about the simplicity of the graphics that are detailed enough to convey what you are supposed to be seeing, but simple enough as not to be trying too hard.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Sleepy Dawgs looks great for its time. Some old shots. It's a shame Square Enix botched the series. They had something good on their hands, until they tried to make its sequel an online only game.
Glorious worldspace wasted on a shit game. Fucking thing played like it was unfinished before they shipped it.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I remember seeing some images of an old game which seemed inspired by Baldur's Gate, and as far as I know was a 2D, party-based RPG. It seemed to have some very nice maps of a castle, and other medieval stuff like that. The graphics and visual design seemed stellar (for the 90's or early 2000's) I never actually played the game and don't know anything about it. Sorry I don't have any solid info.

Does any one have any idea what game I'm thinking about?

Comte_II

I remember seeing some images of an old game which seemed inspired by Baldur's Gate, and as far as I know was a 2D, party-based RPG. It seemed to have some very nice maps of a castle, and other medieval stuff like that. The graphics and visual design seemed stellar (for the 90's or early 2000's) I never actually played the game and don't know anything about it. Sorry I don't have any solid info.

Does any one have any idea what game I'm thinking about?

Lionheart

There's something, I don't know what to call it... sincere? Something sincere about the simplicity of the graphics that are detailed enough to convey what you are supposed to be seeing, but simple enough as not to be trying too hard.

I think that the 2000s 3d games, that strived to be realistic, unwillingly found a great visual style due to the technical limitations of the time. Unlike modern 3d games that feel overloaded with detail, they had to carefully distribute what little details they had. The thought process, in which this limitation resulted, is similar to the thought process of a professional artist coming up with a painting composition: the details are distributed cleverly in the very specific places, "guiding" the viewer's attention to the places of interest and not just mindlessly cluttering the visuals in the sake of "realism".

tB3Poq.png

tB3UJM.png

tB3ceQ.png

tB3Xxa.png

tB3wRe.png

tB3x7k.png

tB3yFx.png

Tel Velothi

Cipher
*colin mcrae rally 2005 screenshots*

I remember that I was super hyped for a game, because cars had 3D rims! It wasn't just a flat texture that imitated rims. But yeah, those 00's game graphics have some magic into them - I don't know how much nostalgia is the factor, but it definitely have some liminal space into it. And is easily readable. I think even some indie games are trying to imitate the 00's graphics - after they had huge romance with pixel art/voxel games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom