Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sea of Stars - a retro-inspired turn-based RPG

Chromatic Apparition boss as seen in yesterday’s update stream + Q&A. Missed it? We got you. Here’s the full unedited VOD

I know it's been awhile since this video, but I do hope they give the character portraits another pass. The artwork in this game is really beautiful, but there is a definite RPGmaker aesthetic to the character portraits that bug me.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Fah3WJRWYAAjA7m

lightbane

Arcane
I like what I see so far. However, I noticed there's a critical flaw of the developers: THE WRITING.

The Messenger, their previous game, had a bit incoherent story about time-travel, which tends to happen, so it's fine, BUT has utterly cringe-worthy "jokes" and Reddit-tier "humor". Every time the shop owner opens his damn mouth, you can prepare yourself for something that makes you groan, especially the "tell me a story" option where more often than not the NPC spews something barely above gibberish.
This makes me worried that this game, since it's a RPG, will have more writing than the previous game and thus higher chances of having terribad dialogue that breaks my suspension of disbelief. The Messanger had excellent gameplay for what's worth, but the writing is a big letdown.

Repressed Homosexual
All these "just like the classics!" games end up sucking ass. Every single one of them.

These games were made good 25-30 years ago because the developers were following a novel idea with enthusiasm. They had a good deal of sacred fire. It stimulated their creativity and motivated them to give it their all.

You're never going to draw a masterpiece if you paint by numbers. This is the exact same thing.

---

Arcane
All these "just like the classics!" games end up sucking ass. Every single one of them.

These games were made good 25-30 years ago because the developers were following a novel idea with enthusiasm. They had a good deal of sacred fire. It stimulated their creativity and motivated them to give it their all.

You're never going to draw a masterpiece if you paint by numbers. This is the exact same thing.
Normally I'd agree, but it's the same studio who did The Messenger, which was "just like the classics!". And it was, if not a masterpiece, at least excellent.

welly321

Scholar
super hyped for this. I liked messenger until it became a boring metroidvania . This game looks amazing so far and will play great on the deck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom