Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seance - A roleplaying game [need reviewers]

hFBzwojyXYL0

I need someone to review my tabletop RPG. It's located on https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/341437/Seance--A-roleplaying-game

It's a self crafted system based around D6. Level of a skill determines number of dice being rolled. Dice are then compared in a 1 to 1 fashion to opposition, and highest dice wins. Skill levels are kept fairly low because of this. Max skill levels of a starting character is 2 for example. There's more to the system of course: modifiers lets you reroll dice. So 2D+1, lets you roll 2 dice, and optionally reroll one of them. I have spent literal hours making sure this system is statistically sound, with the help of my Atari 5k superterminal cpu.

The setting is mainly 19th century US/UK. It is designed to be fairly grounded and "realistic", even though it has a strong occult flair (hence the title of the game). So, even though there are demons and the like, there won't be goblins, trolls and shiny vampire twinks. There's a magic system, but it involves rituals and not slinging fireballs. Overall, the game favors a more narrative approach, instead of focusing too much on rules.

There's also a monster list supplement, with some more usual (like mummies and zombies) and unusual suspects (barghest, wendigos etc). I consider this optional content for those that want shiny vampire twinks, or a more classic horror movie experience.

You would be very pleased to review this. Everyone one else should buy copies for the entire family.

I will hook up all serious reviewers. Thanks for your time.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
At first glance on the meager 6 pages preview (including 3 barely readable) :
- Your stats choice looks sound (Perception/Constitution/Spirit/Intelligence/Dexterity/Personality/Initiative),
- The system sounds ok. Not sure what the dice compare stuff brings apart from novelty, but I didn't try it,
- Small number stats are a good thing
- The page layout seems neat, if a little bland,
- You could do worse than using Dore's engravings as illustrations.

At first glance on the meager 6 pages preview (including 3 barely readable) :
- Your stats choice looks sound (Perception/Constitution/Spirit/Intelligence/Dexterity/Personality/Initiative),
- The system sounds ok. Not sure what the dice compare stuff brings apart from novelty, but I didn't try it,
- Small number stats are a good thing
- The page layout seems neat, if a little bland,
- You could do worse than using Dore's engravings as illustrations.

- The 3 barely viewable is the quick preview courtesy of drivethrurpg. The site is kinda bugged, but I have mostly good experience with the staff.
- Stats choice: It's pretty run off the mill, shame some manage to fail this.
- System: The comparing will scale better in my opinion. It's possible to go "higher dice sum will win", but eventually it will become a problem. A single 1D6 just goes from 1-6, so the scaling is not that great. It is after all possible to roll very low results on 8 six sided dice (low chance, but still), so a single opposing 1D6 has a slim chance of success. There's also the problem with critical hits using 6 sided dice. This is sorta still a problem with my system, and thats why its optional in my rules: basically a winning 6 result is a critical hit. So for 1 to 1 dice comparison thats 16.6% chance of a crit, which is a bit high. Yeah, there's a reason for the D20. I have had a strange fascination of D6 for a long time though.
- Small numbers: I'm mostly worried about too many dice being rolled for end game, thats why I try keeping it low. It will naturally scale however. There's higher level content in the monster supplement, but you will need some dice resources for this.
- Bland: Heh, its a standard border for boxes in indesign. Valid.
- Illustrations: Im a big fag for retro shit. Glad im not the only one. Can recommend checking this site out if you like the style: https://www.oldbookillustrations.com/

Thanks for taking the time checking the game out. You can PM me an email and I'll send you a copy, no string attached.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
- Stats choice: It's pretty run off the mill, shame some manage to fail this.
Yeah, so many systems separate strength and constitution for example. I like the idea of making initiative into a stat and not dependent from other stuff. Yours may not be the most unique and original but I like it (maybe because it looks like my own system).

- System: The comparing will scale better in my opinion. It's possible to go "higher dice sum will win", but eventually it will become a problem. A single 1D6 just goes from 1-6, so the scaling is not that great. It is after all possible to roll very low results on 8 six sided dice (low chance, but still), so a single opposing 1D6 has a slim chance of success. There's also the problem with critical hits using 6 sided dice. This is sorta still a problem with my system, and thats why its optional in my rules: basically a winning 6 result is a critical hit. So for 1 to 1 dice comparison thats 16.6% chance of a crit, which is a bit high. Yeah, there's a reason for the D20. I have had a strange fascination of D6 for a long time though.
D6 are good. You can find them easily, and I like the idea of being able to throw a RPG on a whim anywhere with only few sheets of paper and D6s. The easier the better.

- Illustrations: Im a big fag for retro shit. Glad im not the only one. Can recommend checking this site out if you like the style: https://www.oldbookillustrations.com/
Thanks for the link, good resource indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom