Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Second best stealth game after Thief" is actually a pretty good topic for a thread.

Do you agree with the title of this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • No (recommend a better one)

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Kingcomrade

Votes: 17 47.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
:lol:
I almost feel bad for Roguey whenever Sawyer says something stupid, you can almost imagine steam coming out of her ears as she tries to resolve the contradicition.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Aural observation could be equally necessary when there's no direct way to see your enemies even with a third person camera. DX:HR uses the enemy radar instead.

So your opinion is peeking from the shadows and having to listen to the environment is really no better than magic radar and third-person psychic vision around corners?

This is a stupid argument.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Aural observation could be equally necessary when there's no direct way to see your enemies even with a third person camera. DX:HR uses the enemy radar instead.

So your opinion is peeking from the shadows and having to listen to the environment is really no better than magic radar and third-person psychic vision around corners?

There is functionally no difference between leaning or viewing things from behind cover in third person. :M

For three pages. This is what you guys have been arguing with for three pages.

DefJam101

Arcane
So let's think about this for just one second.

You're saying that emergent gameplay is bad, because it allows the player to do things the developers haven't anticipated (jump on a roof you're not supposed to).

You're simultaneously saying that "finding solutions that weren't simply placed there by the developer" is an illusion.
If you solve a problem then obviously the designer expected you to solve that problem and gave you the tools required to do so.
Saved for posterity.

Moreover, I never said that leaning from the shadows was "functionally different" from third person snooping, so not only is your example poorly chosen, it's also completely irrelevant to what we're talking about. Please stop trying to roll the topic of discussion back two pages just because you said something silly. Thanks. ^_^
I believe you said "one is fun and the other isn't because I'm autistic."
sick burn bro

You've yet to respond to any of my distinctly not-one-liner posts with messages over one line. So, like, while it's highly possible you're eventually going to post yet another one-liner declaring how no one can refute your brilliant arguments, the unfortunate reality for your future credibility is that those posts aren't going to disappear when you hit the reply button.
There's more substance in my brevity than any of those.
All right that's one person choosing empty one-liners over an actual attempt at a rebuttal. +M

There is also the fact that you must press and hold a key to stick to the wall (or put it to toggle which is even worse) whereas in first person you just walk up to the wall. Of course if you lean you must hold q/e but it certainly feels less uncontrolled and artificial as all movement is directly in my control.
Autism.
Oh wait you're just doing it over and over

That's about enough. Everyone (except Roguey, unless Roguey is a troll) can see what's going on at this point.

Peace.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Different methods, same results. Makes no difference to me. Or Josh. :smug:

It's also funny how you're all MAGIC and PSYCHIC when the shadows in Thief are just as magic and no one is that fucking noisy when they walk nor do people mutter to themselves out loud all the time. Genre conventions.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's also funny how you're all MAGIC and PSYCHIC when the shadows in Thief are just as magic and no one is that fucking noisy when they walk nor do people mutter to themselves out loud all the time. Genre conventions.

You're still ignoring the fact Thief's shadows are nowhere near as dependable or frequent as you are portraying them.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Fuck the shadows, that's the troll argument trap. Think about perspective.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Bickering with a guy whose personality sucks balls.
On the other hand, he has no personality.
Still, his nothingness sucks balls pretty hard.
By the way, how are you today, Viktoria?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Bickering with a guy whose personality sucks balls.
On the other hand, he has no personality.
Still, his nothingness sucks balls pretty hard.
By the way, how are you today, Viktoria?
:bro:

EDIT: Actually, Roguey isn't as bad as I remember MyImmortal being.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

You're still ignoring the fact Thief's shadows are nowhere near as dependable or frequent as you are portraying them.
I just played them. Shadows everywhere, and in places where they weren't, it was usually no problem to create your own.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I just played them. Shadows everywhere, and in places where they weren't, it was usually no problem to create your own.

I just played them too, and I disagree. In the city ambush escape for example, tons of streetlights you can't remove and tons of guards everywhere. You are forced to peek around corners when the guards are at a distance, listen to their footsteps to know when to sprint across, etc. etc. None of that gameplay is there as strongly in third-person sneakers. I love games like Chaos Theory but it's not comparable when it comes to making you feel like a vulnerable sneaker among guards.

Divinity: Original Sin

I just played them too, and I disagree. In the city ambush escape for example, tons of streetlights you can't remove and tons of guards everywhere. You are forced to peek around corners when the guards are at a distance, listen to their footsteps to know when to sprint across, etc. etc. None of that gameplay is there as strongly in third-person sneakers. I love games like Chaos Theory but it's not comparable when it comes to making you feel like a vulnerable sneaker among guards.

In splinter cell games in general you have the goggles, you can whistle to attract enemies and can do that infinitelly. Thief has gadjets and special noise arrows and orb cameras, but they are limited. Of course in thief you can jump to attract your enemies (thanks to the possibility of jumping anywhere), but thief AI is so random that when they get alerted, they never go to the place the player intended to attract them. In fact, the alerted thief AI is so random that they are completelly unpredictable.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In splinter cell games in general you have the goggles, you can whistle to attract enemies and can do that infinitelly. Thief has gadjets and special noise arrows and orb cameras, but they are limited. Of course in thief you can jump to attract your enemies (thanks to the possibility of jumping anywhere), but thief AI is so random that when they get alerted, they never go to the place the player intended to attract them. In fact, the alerted thief AI is so random that they are completelly unpredictable.

Not sure what this has to do with first vs. third person, but... yeah, pretty much.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I didn't bother with noise arrows and just used regular ones. The guards always went in the direction of the where the arrow hit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It wasn't much of one. If you're referring to one of my favorite levels from Thief 2 there was always a safe place from where you could observe. The tension came from navigating it, and it'd be no different from a tpp.

Divinity: Original Sin

Not sure what this has to do with first vs. third person, but... yeah, pretty much.

Nothing. Just that thief is first best...:smug:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It wasn't much of one. If you're referring to one of my favorite levels from Thief 2 there was always a safe place from where you could observe. The tension came from navigating it, and it'd be no different from a tpp.

You're literally making shit up and acting smug about false conclusions. The essence of internet shitposting.

Ninjerk

Arcane

You're literally making shit up and acting smug about false conclusions. The essence of internet shitposting.

:bro:

Cassidy

Arcane
Why are you even wasting your time arguing with Josh Sawyer's sockpuppet Roguey?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom