Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Matador, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Coming back to this after finally finishing up DS3 and what a fucking great game it is.

Pity the DLC never happened. Does anyone know how much it sold?

My ideal scenario is a boss rush DLC. I think the traversal/exploration parts of the game are the weakest.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Correct_Carlo Arcane

Correct_Carlo
    There already was a free boss rush DLC.

^ Top  
  3. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Well, I meant new ones. It was nice of them to add the option to replay bosses, but it's not exactly I would call a boss rush mode.

^ Top  
  4. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Yeah, definitely will be revisiting this once the 2 mods come out that add new bosses/encounters

^ Top  
  5. Correct_Carlo Arcane

Correct_Carlo
    ^ Top  
  6. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Not yet. I was waitng for a better sale. It's at 38 euros right now and it's still a bit much. I mean there's no multiplayer maybe i could play the version i removed from an inventory a while back, but i don't know. I'd like to play it legit if i can.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Don't know why but I don't feel the urge to play this again after finishing it (twice in a row). I think the rhythm-like combat got tiresome fast for me, even if I loved my time with the game. Weird, I know.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    In your replay you could try using different prosthetics and shinobi arts, they really make a big difference. Not every fight has to be infinite clang clang clang.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Squid Savant

Squid
    Mastering Sekiro feels more rewarding because besides attack power, there's a cap to your power level. Sure, it's not some action heavy RPG-esque game like the Souls and Bloodborne games but that does stand. Once you can master parrying well and reading your opponents, the faster you fights really do become. I beat most of the bosses that were annoying on first try the third time around.

Feels rewarding.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    So you want a boss rush mode, but not the option to replay bosses? Then, something like this?

I also feel this way because the game is just not replayable in terms of content and things related to it like exploration. But the gameplay dynamics is way more satisfying to me than Soulsborne's, and the bossfights are just so damn good, so I only replay it for the boss rush and when attempting the Gauntlets.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Gauntlets of strength is really cool. Perhaps I expressed myself wrong, I meant to say that I would like a new boss rush mode with new bosses, and with actual time pars with online leaderboards, that sort of thing.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    I played it few more times but then I was using an increased spirit emblem cap mod which allowed me to fuck around with all the tools more. It's a good game but it's not something you can play over and over once you git gud. At the very least long break is required until you forget enough.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Owl (Father) is probably the best bossfight From has ever done. Everything about it is amazing, especially the feints that he does reacting to your own moves (i.e. overhead slash changes into spinning slash if you sidestep early). Great stuff.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    Played a fair bit after caving to the steam sale and
    Those cues are the worst, sound maybe, but not the fucking red marker. It forces your brain into plz-pick-option-mode which is lame and at least for me makes it harder, not easier, to naturally react.
    It's not an "action game, by that metric it'd be shit and it's not i.e. it's not an action game :buildawall:

^ Top  
  15. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Alright, Sword Saint Isshin down. He gave me a lot of trouble and the fight wasn't nearly as good as Owl (Father), but still fun. It seems his attack patterns were designed so as to punish parry spam (which works on faster enemies).

After a few tries I decided to try firecrackers and they're amazing here. I don't think they should work on every phase, but they do.

Anyway, my least favourite boss in the game was Demon of Hatred (I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way), simply because it didn't feel like it belonged in the game at all, felt more like a Bloodborne boss. Also took me many attempts.

I got the homecoming ending and I'm not sure if I'm going to go to NG+ and beyond to see the others. Great game but it's very tiresome to play.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    The point is to differentiate between attacks and how to deal with them, kinda like rock-paper-scissor. In Soulsborne, there's no differentiation between enemy attacks, thus literally everything can be dodged, and there's really nothing else to it than bad timing. But yeah, they could've done it better, the sound cues alone should be enough to alert the players that undodgeable (except for grabbing attack), unblockable attacks are coming, and then let them react accordingly to where the enemy weapon is coming from. For example, a certain enemy's sweep can be clearly seen coming as the grasses around him is flying around due to the weapon being swept across the ground.

Still, the big ass red kanji in addition to already clear enough cues can be said to be part of Fromsoft's slowly streamlining their game, among different things.

• Kitty Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Squid Savant

Squid
    Firecrackers are really good for just about anything. I don't use them much anymore because they hurt me more than they help if I don't actually stun the opponent. But I also play far more aggressively now that I've beaten the game three times.

I feel each NG cycle gets a bit easier in some ways. It's more punishing but you've refined yourself more each time around, your attack power can keep growing with memories (or 5 skill points if you have no skills left to acquire). The early game is nearly a joke because they're simpler bosses and enemies and you know how to steam roll them and you're more powerful than having 1 or 2 attack power. I don't even die in NG+ cycles until the raging bull boss because that one always throws me in for a loop. I actually have to sit up and pay attention to it unlike the other bosses before Guardian Ape and Corrupted Monk.

But if you don't feel like continuously playing it for the other content, then don't really. Shura ending has a fight that's not in the normal game. You already probably beat all the other bosses you possibly could from the sounds of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Evil ending is the only reason to do NG+, to get all the bosses unlocked. Otherwise game is just more fun with a fresh start.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    Why not include grabs? The point should be "you can't deflect this", nice and simple, very relevant to how the gameplay is set up. As is it just enforces the Sekiro: Beat Master™ feel and doesn't actualy streamline shit. Which is lame because it's a small addition, just a symbol that shows up as an alert, that disproportionally affects the feel of the game. To me this enforces the idea that they were looking for the Tenchu
    Show Spoiler
    which I found out was made by FS, makes perfect sense sekiro.png
    feel, and actively wanted to not stray too close to actual "Brawler" gameplay. Also you should play some easy-to-get-into proper "brawlers", they really are great fun, get some perspective:

MGS Rising: Fun mechanics, satisfying gameplay, cool weapons. Non-conventional storyline with fun exposition if your into that shit. Nice music as well :cool:
    Killer is Dead: Pretty much Sekiro if Sekiro leaned harder into brawler gameplay, as in quite rigid for a brawler. Still good fun and an esoteric story.
    Point being Sekiro is a stealth game with bossfights, not a brawler.
    Show Spoiler
    fucking kanji:argh:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    The fuck? That shitty faggot music was the worst thing about that game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    From only published some Tenchu games (well, they did develop one downloadable-only spinoff puzzle title in 2008, Shadow Assault), the developers were Acquire and K2.

But yes, it's well known that Sekiro started development as a Tenchu sequel. However, it's not a stealth game at all. Neither is it a character action game, like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden.

I think of it as a long boss rush with a cool story/world (a lot of it is pretty well-hidden despite a greater focus on narrative compared to other FS games) and some traversal/incidental stealth gameplay. The regular enemies are not even worth considering and you can skip most of them.

Most people who say "oh, it's just a rhythm game" suck at it and never bothered to learn and/or finish it. It has well-defined rules for combat but there is some room for creativity with prosthetics. In fact, prosthetics make a lot of fights almost trivial. People just generally aren't creative and/or are too butthurt that you can't mindlessly spam evade/roll and win every fight.

I personally like the incentive to be more aggressive and man up instead of abusing i-frames like a bitch. Besides, the parry system is very lenient once you get the hang of it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. HeatEXTEND Cipher Patron

HeatEXTEND
    Very much agreed but I can see where the "rhythm" argument comes from.

^ Top  
  23. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Nobody will cite that Dragon fight in the clouds? I know it's weaksauce as a fight but those visuals, the music, the lore (you killing a fucking god!) makes it awesome.

Another thing I like and this game does well is mid level goons that sometimes are tough as nails and kill you. I'm talking about the ninjas of course. On par with DS1 Dark Knights, DS3 Irithil outrider knights and BB hunters.

But yeah, nothing beats Owl Father and Isshin. Probably in all Soulsdom. I would put Ludwig, Sister (El)friede and probably Artorias with them in my top 5.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    I wasn't crazy about Isshin, but Owl (Father) was definitely my favourite bossfight, probably in all of Fromsoft games.

I think Sekiro also does puzzle bossfights better than any other From game. The temple monkeys and the dragon were scripted/gimmick bosses but they were fun and definitely a step up from anything in Souls.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    As far as gimmick boss fights go, Divine Dragon is the best one I've seen from FROM. It's a nice set piece. Bed of Chaos it certainly isn't.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.